IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potted palms up north

Andy8201

I'm knew to the forum, anyone out there grow their palms indoors/outdoors? I'm in Michigan and I have tried cold hardy palms in the ground with varying results. Now that I'm in a condo they have to all be potted. I move them inside in the fall and outside in the spring when weather allows. We've had an unbelievable stretch up here for February. I've had my Trachy and Sabal Minor out since last Friday. I took my coconut and Bizmark out for the day Saturday and Sunday. Anyone else like me out there.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Andy8201 said:

I'm knew to the forum, anyone out there grow their palms indoors/outdoors? I'm in Michigan and I have tried cold hardy palms in the ground with varying results. Now that I'm in a condo they have to all be potted. I move them inside in the fall and outside in the spring when weather allows. We've had an unbelievable stretch up here for February. I've had my Trachy and Sabal Minor out since last Friday. I took my coconut and Bizmark out for the day Saturday and Sunday. Anyone else like me out there.

Welcome to Palmtalk!! you will learn a lot here and maybe even buy some palms from the people here! to answer your question I am planning on planting my potted trachycarpus windmill palm in a pot while in the ground  sry for photo quality this was last summer it has put out 3 more fronds scinceIMAG0042.thumb.jpg.a9642b99aabe40c02521e

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword

Thank you for the reply. I've grown palms for about 11 years now. I know as much as any laymen. I'm just looking for a kindred spirit. Especially this time of year when a stretch of 60s hits  in February. I'll post some pictures soon. I have 1 Coconut, 2 Bottle Palms (that I started from seed about 7 years ago), a Sabal Minor (which seeded last year) which I hope to get some n ew plants from, a Bizmarkia (that I started from seed and is DAMN slow), a Trachy, a Butia (which I recently donated to the Belle Isle Conservetory, and a Musa Basju (banana which I also have in a pot). I just love tropicals. I enjoy seeing them explode in the summer and the challenge od keeping them going in the winter. 

There's an entire section on the Palm Talk forum dedicated to container grown palms. You can find it on the main page. It would seem this forum includes all enthusiasts :D

Welcome.