IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spear pull victim: B. Odorata

Advective

B. Odorata in the ground for two years. About 5.5ft tall.

The plant saw lows this winter of 12ºF and 14-15ºF twice. A few days ago I noticed some of the newest growth had died but it didn't alarm me at the time because the same had happened to the S. Mexicana.

When I took a closer look today, I noticed the new growth was dead all the way down to the base, in stark contrast to the Sabal. I gave a tug and the two newest fronds came out:

DSCF0743.thumb.JPG.bbfc6927cf54948abe100

Leaving this bottomless pit:

DSCF0745.thumb.JPG.3ab688d4d7de694640c1f

Is there anything I can attempt like Hydrogen Peroxide or the partial beheading surgery? Does this look like damage induced by cold temperatures or cold rain? It saw no ice or snow this winter as I wrapped it for those events but it did see cold rain.

This comes as a total shock as the plant otherwise took minimal damage

DSCF0749.thumb.JPG.833be8499e730c38ce439

Just one more add.  I would dump the hydrogen peroxide out after a few hours, since it is in a pot.  Kill the pathogens and get the water out of there.  Or is that a mulch ring?  It is hard to tell.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

41 minutes ago, Zifool said:

Put some hydrogen peroxyd, and cover the hole to protect from rain ;)

I just so happen to have 3% peroxide laying around the house. And this frost cloth I've been using has proven to be water proof when folded over. Just in time for the 90% rain forecast tomorrow

15 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Just one more add.  I would dump the hydrogen peroxide out after a few hours, since it is in a pot.  Kill the pathogens and get the water out of there.  Or is that a mulch ring?  It is hard to tell.

It's a mulch ring but I will heed your advice and dry out the hole with a paper towel 2-3 hours after applying. Does applying the peroxide once a week sound about right?

Just now, Advective said:

It's a mulch ring but I will heed your advice and dry out the hole with a paper towel 2-3 hours after applying. Does applying the peroxide once a week sound about right?

Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I can't see where in texas you are but I lost a few hundred 7G (ALL OF THEM) potted butia this year and even the 4-6' clear trunk butia burned 50%.  The smallest butia that survived was one that was about twice as large as yours look in the picture.

Mine rotted out too after some cold and wet snow. Young Butias tend to do that until they get bigger. Saw a low of 14F. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Good luck with your palm rescue, best wishes!

The paper towels are the best way to get the liquid out, that or a shop-vac with a reducing hose of appropriate size attached to the big vac hose to suck out the liquid (old trick for getting concrete out of anchor holes, too- we lost the Hilti bulb years ago! ) 

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.