IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Licuala?

Brad Mondel

I've finally ordered an indoor palm I've always wanted called Licuala grandis, does anyone have any tips on growing this one correctly? Potting media? Lighting? Humidity? I can put it in my sunny bathroom with high humidity if it will be happy in there. Not a ton of growing info I could find. Thank you 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have one but I only recently aquired it. For now I have potted it in a decrotive pot and keep it in my bathroom well away from the airconditioned areas of my house.

1486614880334-659435814.thumb.jpg.cb11c6

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Pip said:

I have one but I only recently aquired it. For now I have potted it in a decrotive pot and keep it in my bathroom well away from the airconditioned areas of my house.

1486614880334-659435814.thumb.jpg.cb11c6

Pip

is that Grandis or Elegans?

3 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Pip

is that Grandis or Elegans?

Oh sorry it is elegans. I have so many different palms now I'm losing track. Regardless of what it is I'd still treat it the same.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The one Licuala I can seem to keep happy. Keep us posted on here as to how yours does over time. I've had great luck with "pinwheel" varieties of Licuala though.

Not getting soggy fast draining soil mix like e.g. 2/3 fine pine bark + 1/3 Seramis for smaller pots or 3/5 pine bark + 2/5 Seramis for bigger pots, position indoors as bright as possible, but during summer avoiding too direct sun; watering regularly, no wet feet for a longer time during the dark seasons; low humidity is no problem. — The pic from 2004 shows its position indoors when still small.

58a99f9c595c7_Licualagrandis20032008.thu

58a99fa2988ed_Greenhouse2004-02-01.thumb

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Thank you for the tips. I potted my new Licuala up in a fast draining mix and placed it in the humid bathroom. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have two growing in an indoor atrium.  They can take all the heat and humidity that Texas can dish out, plus they get about two hours of very hot afternoon sun with zero problem.  I keep them constantly moist with water from a reverse osmosis filter.   How they'll handle a/c I don't know. This is one of my favorite palms. 

IMG_0102.JPG

• Upvote 3

I have two Licuala that I keep in the house in the winter.  The grandis doesn't like it in the house and the fronds dry out really bad but the peltata var. sumawongii does pretty good.  I don't think it would live year round in the house but doesn't really mind 3-4 months inside.

Good job guys, your plants are looking nice.

I've got several Licuala's in pots here in Hawaii and they all seem to make for choice potted specimens, especially for a lanai or deck.

Of course, here they grow outside with plenty of rainfall and humidity and most will take a variety of conditions.

You should experiment with more of the uncommon species that are available.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 year later...

Spelling them outside during warm periods, especially when it rains would be a good thing. Of course they would require substantial shading. This would keep the indoor pest population on your palm down.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2017 at 8:41 AM, Pal Meir said:

Not getting soggy fast draining soil mix like e.g. 2/3 fine pine bark + 1/3 Seramis for smaller pots or 3/5 pine bark + 2/5 Seramis for bigger pots, position indoors as bright as possible, but during summer avoiding too direct sun; watering regularly, no wet feet for a longer time during the dark seasons; low humidity is no problem. — The pic from 2004 shows its position indoors when still small.

58a99f9c595c7_Licualagrandis20032008.thu

58a99fa2988ed_Greenhouse2004-02-01.thumb

Hi, what palm is the tall one on your last pic? Does it do well in AC conditioned house like around 70F ?  I am looking for a palm easy grow and beautiful leaves my son can grow inside for decorative purposes. 

On 12/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, JANAIY said:

Hi, what palm is the tall one on your last pic? Does it do well in AC conditioned house like around 70F ?  I am looking for a palm easy grow and beautiful leaves my son can grow inside for decorative purposes. 

The tall palm in the middle of last pic is Chamaedorea seifrizii. It grows almost anywhere.

Hi Pal,

I hope my C. seifrizii will grow like yours. Did you fertilize it? If yes, which fertilizer did you use? I assume it has a window place all year long?

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

25 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Pal,

I hope my C. seifrizii will grow like yours. Did you fertilize it? If yes, which fertilizer did you use? I assume it has a window place all year long?

Eckhard

As fertilizer for all my palms I am using COMPO (liquid NPK 7+3+6). A window place or under a bright lamp will be ideal. Here another pic of a Ch. seifrizii with my great-grandson in his office:

520310819_Chamaedoreaseifrizii2008-02-19.thumb.jpg.550b355e6043719964542e0846d77f46.jpg