IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

here we have a wave of cold

gyuseppe

8 hours ago, benbaron said:

Im assuming you guys arnt bothering to protect your plants?? Why not?

Phoenikakias - a quick cover of a blanket or something works wonders and keeps them alive to recover - well worth the effort. Its what we do every winter lol

7 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

It's hard to explain what it takes to make protection that can take few days of constant winds of 100-150km/h.

One part of the answer is the reply of Ante. Besides it depends on kind of palm, that it should be protected. Not all palms are easy like Trachies or Chamaerops. Some hate cool and moist and catch rapidly fungi. Another aspect is the terrain where palms grow; on a slope it's rather difficult to build and fix any protecting structure. Another aspect is that palms, if having survived every previous winter, put up every summer substantial growth thanks to warm air and in few years we are bound to protect large plants; ever tried to throw a blanket upon an overgrown Pritchardia for example? (lol) Below you can see in the background a fully wrapped up smaller Pritchardia, but on its right side the big one was impossible to be wrapped, so I only wrapped and protected the part of stem, which contains the meristem.

IMG_20170105_163502.thumb.jpg.51dd3e6078

• Upvote 1

Here the minimum so far 0C, but with high dew point. My sheltered spot saw only 2C and my woodyetia and dypsis madagascariensis are covered and - I hope - safe :bummed:

On 1/9/2017, 4:08:04, dalmatiansoap said:

Umm, that looks like a prank video.. the people are not getting blown... :blink:  But still sorry to hear how cold it is..!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

11 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Umm, that looks like a prank video.. the people are not getting blown... :blink:  But still sorry to hear how cold it is..!

Lol, does look like prank indeed. Here one can see how these gust looks like thanks to sea

https://youtu.be/zu0g3B1NSLI

first victims to -5.7 degrees celsius
3 small chamaedorea tepejilote,are death, while larger ones are in a sheltered location, are alive although burning leaves
Also  died a rhopalostylis sapida oceana,made from seed in 2008 :(

leaves of arenga micrantha   burn marks,I did not expect  this
leaves of arenga tremula and engleri ,are perfect,these species  are  very ok

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

my big archontophoenix cunninghamiana all burned, not nice to see! But it seems alive, we hope that not dies

phoenix roebelenii  leaves  burned , but alive

hybrid phoenix roebelenii x reclinata ,slightly burned

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

dead:
some small archontophoenix cunninghamiana

some small rhopalostylis

3 phoenix pusilla(all)

1 phoenix loureiroii x roebelenii

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

dead some chamaedorea of these species
seifrizii,costaricana ,tepejilote ,woodsoniana ,pochutlensis , many of chamaedorea cataractarum    

of these species, all live ,no dead    
Chamaedorea hooperiana    
Chamaedorea klotzschiana
Chamaedorea oblongata

Chamaedorea   elegans and glaucifolia ,live, but burning leaves

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

On 22/1/2017, 8:37:24, gyuseppe said:

my big archontophoenix cunninghamiana all burned, not nice to see! But it seems alive, we hope that not dies

phoenix roebelenii  leaves  burned , but alive

hybrid phoenix roebelenii x reclinata ,slightly burned

I have lost 4 roebelenii, two in the ground and two in pots, after the 2004 cold spell with only -2 to -3 C, they nasty little things, when it comes to marginal conditions

1 hour ago, gyuseppe said:

dead some chamaedorea of these species
seifrizii,costaricana ,tepejilote ,woodsoniana ,pochutlensis , many of chamaedorea cataractarum    

of these species, all live ,no dead    
Chamaedorea hooperiana    
Chamaedorea klotzschiana
Chamaedorea oblongata

Chamaedorea   elegans and glaucifolia ,live, but burning leaves

Chamaedorea costaricana and pochutlensis may sprout gain from the ground, if rzizome is saved, so very important, that plants are ground planted. I, on the other side, lost oblongata and glaucifolia after 2004 cold spell.

1 hour ago, gyuseppe said:

dead:
some small archontophoenix cunninghamiana

some small rhopalostylis

3 phoenix pusilla(all)

1 phoenix loureiroii x roebelenii

Do you have any other loureiroi x roebelenii, which survived?

chamaedorea oblongata leaves only slightly burned

a phoenix roebelenii in the ground,  perhaps dead, I  let you know

yes only 1 loureiroi x roebelenii is died,yes  I have other 3 ,but this that  it died, the look is many roebelenii,indeed it was!, I was very fond of this!

GIUSEPPE

livistona mariae ,no sign of burns on the leaves!
livistona  rigida,  very little ,but little, burning leaves , almost nothing 

GIUSEPPE

Hi Giuseppe,

I've been in your area two years ago during summer time. I remember all these beautiful palms and other exotic plants. It's crazy and makes me sad to hear about your dead palm trees. I'll cross my fingers that a lot will recover.

In my area (close to Stuttgart, southwest of Germany) we had many nights with temps down to -12 to -14°C (10 to 6°F). My Trachys are looking a little bit frosted, hopefully the damages will not be to strong. But the forecast is good, temps are rising up to 10°C (50°F)

This was for sure a winter which showed us the borders for the gardening with palms. All  my Yucca look excellent.

Eckhard  

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

3 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

chamaedorea oblongata leaves only slightly burned

a phoenix roebelenii in the ground,  perhaps dead, I  let you know

yes only 1 loureiroi x roebelenii is died,yes  I have other 3 ,but this that  it died, the look is many roebelenii,indeed it was!, I was very fond of this!

:crying:

Strelitzia
giant bird of paradise,today 
IMG_20170127_133542_zpsvwfhjgic.jpg

in the  years even in winter always look good

20130224_115046_zps0af79248.jpg

Edited by gyuseppe
  • Upvote 2

GIUSEPPE

in this picture, you see bananas with leaves damaged after the winter, while strelitzia with leaves never ruined after winter
20130224_115030_HDR_zps27b5dc80.jpg

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Wow!!! I am sorry Gyuseppe. These are big damage, but they are strong plants.

I am sure February will be warmer and your plants will recover.

syagrus romanzoffiana and Acoelorraphe wrightii ,no sign of burns on the leaves

livistona  saribus,livistona fulva,brahea moorei,  very little ,but little, burning leaves , almost nothing 

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

It was cold last night in Cyprus, Larnaca airport had a minimum temperature of 0.3C

• Upvote 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

39 minutes ago, SouthSeaNate said:

It was cold last night in Cyprus, Larnaca airport had a minimum temperature of 0.3C

Crazy Winter!:wacko:

• Upvote 1

Hello Gyuseppe,

What a cold you got, with a lot of burned leaves.

But i think you will have good surprises in summer.

Do not cut the leaves now and wait for hot weather. Many species will recover...

Ciao;)

Edited by gilles06
mistake

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Never expected to see in Naples a cold-scorched Phoenix reclinata. But I am  also pleasantly surprised with the appearance of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana! Really, with -5C I still see green on it, not only on petioles and crownshaft but also on some leaflets!!! I have a feeling that this palm has not carked yet. On the other hand all plants of my Archontophoenix collection were killed by the 2004 freaky cold spell, but latter was accompanied also by a two days long blizard, it had not reached -5 C though...  Still wondering whether leting a palm grow under full sun, makes leaves cold hardier to an advective freeze, in latter case an overhead canopy has anyway no benefit.

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

@gyuseppe have you take any protection measures for any of those palms?

never  protected   anything

some  chamaedorea  are repaired,  but those mentioned totally out

GIUSEPPE

sabal domingensis, damage visible on the leaves
chamaedorea metallica, are in garden, but under leaves livistona chinensis, then protected, are all alive!

big howea forsteriana, very sheltered, is located in the small of my mother's garden, few visible damage

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

livistona muelleri, protected, no damage visible on the leaves

livistona lanuginosa,protected, no damage visible on the leaves

syagrus x costae,protected,very little damage visible on the leaves

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE