IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Reccomendations for 10-15' mature indoor palm

TexasColdHardyPalms

A customer is looking to install a dozen large palms inside an open atrium with plenty of natural light.  They will be in 3x3x3' planters.  Humidity will be low and temperature will be around 70F year-round and something low maintenance would be best.  Any reccomendations?

Trihtrinax c., some huge cycad sp., Chamaerops sp. maybe. All low maintenance, pot suitable, low water regime, in that temperature range...

Adonodia Merrillii seem to do OK. I have seen them in large atriums and shopping malls before.  I even saw some in a mall that had almost no natural light too but those looked very lanky and pale.  The ones in places with abundant natural light/ sun looked considerably better and more normal looking. 

I have also seen some large Phoenix Roebellenii in those kinds of indoor situations as well.   As long as both of these receive ample light and water they seem to do fine based on my passing observations. 

Many of Chamaedorea do well indoors and some get decent height in decent time.

I don't have the nice set up like the person your talking about but I have

Chamaedorea arebergiana

Chamaedorea tepejilote

Chamaedorea nationsiana

All doing very well in my indoor climate. All are single trunk and speedy growers..even indoors. I have many other Chamaedorea species as well all doing fine but shorter in height.

One other very ornamental palm that does GREAT indoors is the Blue, Red and Yellow versions of the latania family

My atrium is much hotter, up to 115f+, more humid, and all plants are in the ground. The ceiling slopes from 10-20 feet high.  My favorite 3 growers so far are 1) Licuala grandis, very fast grower, 2) Areca macrocalyx, 3) C.renda.  Pinangas look promising, esp. Catechu dwarf, and my bottle palm is growing way faster than I expected, it's at the low end of the ceiling, my fault.  My temps run from 47-115f, no a/c, I have heat but haven't needed it thus far.  I have lots of stuff in pots that I'm watching to see how they fare.  I too would love to get some recommendations on what might do well, keep me posted Joseph, I hope my limited info helps        

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, topwater said:

My atrium is much hotter, up to 115f+, more humid, and all plants are in the ground. The ceiling slopes from 10-20 feet high.  My favorite 3 growers so far are 1) Licuala grandis, very fast grower, 2) Areca macrocalyx, 3) C.renda.  Pinangas look promising, esp. Catechu dwarf, and my bottle palm is growing way faster than I expected, it's at the low end of the ceiling, my fault.  My temps run from 47-115f, no a/c, I have heat but haven't needed it thus far.  I have lots of stuff in pots that I'm watching to see how they fare.  I too would love to get some recommendations on what might do well, keep me posted Joseph, I hope my limited info helps        

Sounds interesting? Any pics? 

Interesting temperature, not too hot or cold. If they truly want low maintenance then Chamaedorea will not disappoint.

Is it one palm for all twelve plantings or will they mix and match? I'd try to convince them to pepper in a Licuala or Chambeyronia.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Where could I find 6-8' tall C. Renda??

7Heads seller on Ebay sells the largest ones I've seen on the net...at a cost.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

Sounds interesting? Any pics? 

I just started growing tropical stuff about a year ago so most of mine are baby's.   Last August was mini Death Camp southeast, I had shade cloth everywhere!  I need to start a thread and get some advice from the tropics people about what can take the heat and sun here, so far it's trial and error, emphasis on the error.  Biggest C.renda:

IMG_0082.JPG

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Where could I find 6-8' tall C. Renda??

I checked out the 7heads eBay place too, beautiful plant.  If your clients got enough green folding stuff, about 500 usd, it  could be a good deal.  Personally, I'll wait for mine to grow.  :lol:

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Yea, a dozen at that price is going to break the bank. 

I would move this thread to discussing palms worldwide, you'll get tons more views by the palmiest people on the planet.  Also, do you have a budget, 500 is chump change to some people.  Do they have to be identical?  Personally, I'd prefer a mix of stuff than 12 of any one thing.