IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Freeze warning for CA

enigma99

15 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Well that was one weather prediction that appears spot on. We're still around 29F. At 8:22a still seeing lots of high 20s and low 30s all around the SF Bay. Large swath from Palo Alto south past Gilroy, parts of Santa Cruz mts. and parts of East Bay and inland from Walnut Creek to Pleasanton. Lots of other cold pockets in the area. Looks like that's it for the next 10 days however.

We will be getting that pineapple express drenching this weekend though. Expect with the amount of rain that we're getting this winter that we could be seeing our mules displaying those lightning bolt fronds from boron loss come spring growth. Haven't seen that in quite a few years.

That's tough - we bottomed out at 34...always seem to be 5-7 degrees higher than the valleys here in the EB.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

29F. Good news that there is a strong pattern shift happening and I am going to begin my spring cleanup after all the rain comes through. We should be good until next Winter.

This winter has been a rough one.  I noticed Pleasant Hill really took a hit.. Saw some 26 degree readings there. Ouch!

Edited by enigma99

4 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

29F. Good news that there is a strong pattern shift happening and I am going to begin my spring cleanup after all the rain comes through. We should be good until next Winter.

This winter has been a rough one.  I noticed Pleasant Hill really took a hit.. Saw some 26 degree readings there. Ouch!

See, that's what I am talking about...7-8 degrees difference. So thankful for my elevation!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

7 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

See, that's what I am talking about...7-8 degrees difference. So thankful for my elevation!

Yes for sure. If your neighbors are selling let me know :) 

• Upvote 1

Happy to report here in Livermore (for a change) we stayed relatively mild at 31f for the low. We're normally the opposite. Think I'll start the fertilizer program for my Washington Navel in another week, or two!

• Upvote 1

We had 36F here last night in Fresno. I was surprised to have light frost on the ground again, although not as bad as the frost from a few weeks ago. I'll wait to do cleanup until the end of the month. Once February hits, we should start getting a little more heat - we'll start getting into the mid 60s during the day, and hopefully that will kick-start the growing season. C'mon spring!

56 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

The front of our yard that sits in the morning shade was pretty frosted over when I left the house a little before 9. Took quite a bit of time to defrost the car windows but agree not as heavy as the last bad frost on 12/20 (below). The only palm that sits in long morning shade is our Chamaerops humils so no worries there. 

From front and back car window. Hadn't seen frost, well more like ice, like this since probably living in the Midwest LOL.

587038e5bb459_Frost122016-1(1).jpg.4bb42587038e90de8c_Frost122016-2(1).jpg.8b436

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

On 1/6/2017, 10:29:18, enigma99 said:

Is your garden in a cold sink?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Is your garden in a cold sink?

No, backyard saw 28-29 ultimate low this winter which is coldest it has been in 3 years. Front yard however doesn't have any kind of canopy at all and gets cold on radiational freeze nights..  I think it reached 27 one night out in the open. And my neighbors don't have trees either

It has been a rough one for norcal this winter. Glad winter is over! 

Oh your maxima and lutescens are doing great. They were under canopy so didn't see below 30F

Edited by enigma99

Knock on wood, but this winter has been mild for me, with a low of 38 and plenty of rain. In the 14 day forecast I don't see a low under 47. Things can change quickly but once we get to February 1 the potential for a freeze in San Diego is almost zero...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

8 hours ago, enigma99 said:

No, backyard saw 28-29 ultimate low this winter which is coldest it has been in 3 years. Front yard however doesn't have any kind of canopy at all and gets cold on radiational freeze nights..  I think it reached 27 one night out in the open. And my neighbors don't have trees either

Oh your maxima and lutescens are doing great. They were under canopy so didn't see below 30F

I was a little worried about those palms you picked up from me. I'm glad to see they are doing great.

I'm also glad that your weather looks great and you may be out of the woods?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Let's not tempt fate here...lows in 40s and 50s for the 10-day, and once we get to February, it is basically done...so fingers crossed!

If we land here, my ultimate winter low this year (31.5 or so) would actually be warmer than the last 3 years, which have all bottomed out at 30 pretty much on the button.

Ben Rogers

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Let's not tempt fate here...lows in 40s and 50s for the 10-day, and once we get to February, it is basically done...so fingers crossed!

If we land here, my ultimate winter low this year (31.5 or so) would actually be warmer than the last 3 years, which have all bottomed out at 30 pretty much on the button.

Yup. We're not out the woods yet. Technically, winter started just two weeks ago. However, taking last year and the one prior as reference, SoCal has had continuous 82F-80F days in February. Hopefully this will be the case this year. Today we're expected to be in the upper 70's.  Best of luck!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

16 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Yup. We're not out the woods yet. Technically, winter started just two weeks ago. However, taking last year and the one prior as reference, SoCal has had continuous 82F-80F days in February. Hopefully this will be the case this year. Today we're expected to be in the upper 70's.  Best of luck!

The jet stream shifts though; in California our coldest months tend to be December (even before "winter") and maybe January.  By February we're pretty much in the clear while the rest of the country freezes.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

Well, based on the "two month" winter Socal gets, looking at the 10 day and taking into account February's of previous years, this winter has been very benevolent at least for the San Diego region. 

Here's the 30 day historical from December 9 2016 till noon today (Jan 8 2017). The lowest temperature we achieved (at least in my immediate area) was 41 F on Dec 18th.

I linked the 30 day from Wunderground from my local PWS.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ITIJUANA2#history/s20161209/e20170108/mmonth

Seems (knocking on wood) my coco's are getting a good and early start for this year.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I know looking at our 10 day (and the long term GFS) there doesn't appear to be any freeze events on the horizon. Also, seeing more 60f+ days as well.

Winter has been rainy and mild here in coastal Los Angeles. My lowest temperature has been 46 degrees (I'm 2 blocks from the ocean). New spears are opening. 

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Uh oh. Folks, Checking Rocklin/Sacramento weather: I hope Weather Underground has it wrong. Forecast for 32F/0C on Thursday consecutevly until Sunday.

Brace yourselves.  I knew we weren't out of the woods yet.

I'm getting mid-30s through upper 40s. With the cloud cover, I think we should be alright in the southern San Joaquin Valley. 

CAPTURE1.JPG.1a11e1aed08e1a53f570fa1e47d

I'm showing nothing under 36, and forecast hasn't changed for days. No dramas!

Ben Rogers

Yep here too 35f the min showing. Maybe Sac will be in the cooler front moving through the mountains right now.

7 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Uh oh. Folks, Checking Rocklin/Sacramento weather: I hope Weather Underground has it wrong. Forecast for 32F/0C on Thursday consecutevly until Sunday.

Brace yourselves.  I knew we weren't out of the woods yet.

Last I checked for me it was mid 30s. This won't get to freezing at least for me. What I am having trouble with though is the wind. I have a large king branch that got shredded today from 50mph winds. I guess when the weather clears I will cut it off. Lots of stuff laying sideways here