IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

European winter 2016/2017

Exotic Life

What will this winter bring in Europe this time? 
Please post what is happening over at your place this winter. 

The last few winters were really mild for us here in northern Europe, so hard to get even milder winters.
Winter 2013/2014 was even frostfree for me, last two winters had some frosty moments but mostly around -1C for a few hours exept, beside a few nights which were colder.

This november has been quite average and had some frost as well, last weekend I recorded -3 and -4 and also this weekend looks a bit frosty. Long term is evolving again to a mild episode with temperatures in the double figures, it is however impossible to beat the last year mediterrean look a like winter. 

• Upvote 1

Southwest

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this christmas will be green and mild again and there is no real winter in sight for our area. 

Southwest

It has been around average here so far, with thankfully some decent rain which we didn't get last winter. Had some stormy weather with F11 winds last week, but plenty of warm & sunny days too. Lowest temperature so far has been 12.3C. Christmas is looking sunny & fairly warm, but cooler weather is forecast as we head into the New Year.

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently experiencing the cold snap here, not as bad as in Italy & Sicily, but last night it dropped to 7.7C (& 4.2C at the airport inland). We had some hail yesterday & it feels very cold with the strong wind & origin of the air all the way from Russia. Supposed to be turning milder by the middle of next week.

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Wow, i have seen temperatures in Italy, Greece and other places in East Europe and are crazy!

Today, the coldest night this winter, 4'7° but with sunny and warm days, yesterday 17° and the forecast says today will be the same. 

Edited by Monòver

Western Europe is influenced by different systems. It will get one day a freaky cold there (probably not in southern Spain, but definitely in northern part, UK, France etc), while here it will be mild, if not sunny and cosy.

• Upvote 1

Here in NW of Spain we have already hit with harsh frost and temperatures down -6.6ºC/20ºF (he have reached -7.5ºC/18.5ºF in exposed places on 1st January). Clear nights are responsable of this nasty cold.

• Upvote 2

08053.gif

In south east of France so far just minus one degree celcius for this cold wave. But winter isn't finish and we used to have several assaults. Fingers cross.

No hard frosts here yet but next week is going to be different! 
I think I could see my lowest temperature since february 2012 if everything evolve how the models are forecast at the moment. 

Southwest

Today 20°C max and 7°C min. This is perfect after a cool December and January.

But forecast for next week is...:sick:

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Monòver said:

Today 20°C max and 7°C min. This is perfect after a cool December and January.

But forecast for next week is...:sick:

It will be quite the opposite for us. Like I said, your cold is my warmth and vice versa lol

• Upvote 1

sorry all you foks are gettin blasted by the frost ------ real mild here in Florida but our turn will show up on the "Batting order"   salute

• Upvote 1

There are not many palms, both in quantity and diversity in areas brutally hit by the cold in Greece, just CIDP's, Trachies, Washies and Chamaerops. I reckon that all those trees should be defoliated in one way or another (cold burn ot mechanical damage by the snow bulk). Some of of them will recover by end of coming summer, some not, the Trachies definitely will recover. But people there at the moment barely care about the fate of the palms with their right, as their main concern is the restore of their lives back to normality, many housholds still remain without power and water supply.

Edited by Phoenikakias

Wow, did not realize the situation was that bad. I apologize for sounding insincere. Hopefully things get better soon, I know what its like to get a bad snowstorm and be out of power and water in the cold. Not fun. The damage doesn't sound too bad.

• Upvote 1

Since my last post the forecast has changed a lot and is not that cold as before anymore. High pressure system changed the location just above our heads why the biggest cold can't reach us which is for me a northern palm grower a good sign. Looks like this week will be cold with frosty nights and nippy days but for example inland France will going to see lower temperatures then us. Looks like coming night and tuesday itself will be the coldest this week but nothing extreme for this area. 

111201716495.gif

Southwest

And now snow in Mallorca as well...

1712017173746.jpg

Snow Balearen NW Mallorca, Alaró (200mts) Photo Duncan Wingen 

• Upvote 3

Southwest

The worst day that i renember! 

Today the min was 1°c and the max in this moments is 3'8°c. This is crazy!!!

It is the first time that i see the snow here. This morning snow and now, rain.

I am too worried with my garden.

This is Torrevieja, near my house.IMG-20170118-WA0009.thumb.jpg.a2ae48e45a

Edited by Monòver
I
  • Upvote 4

You mean you never see snow in Elche? For how many years live you there? 

1°C it is low but I would think lowest temperature may possible. 

10 minutes ago, zootropical said:

You mean you never see snow in Elche? For how many years live you there? 

1°C it is low but I would think lowest temperature may possible. 

I am in la Marina, not in Elche. Elche is 16 km inland and is colder. I am here since 2005 but i was reading the last time snowing here was in 1929.

1° is not too low for a min. The incredible is the max, 3'8°c.

Thank you for your fast answer. 

I am very curious about the cold wave. Hope you won't go to low. I will check for Elche temperature to night. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zootropical said:
1 hour ago, zootropical said:

Thank you for your fast answer. 

I am very curious about the cold wave. Hope you won't go to low. I will check for Elche temperature to night. 

I think this night will be warmer. It is cloud and rainy and the temperature in this moment is better, 5'8°.

Yes the cold has finally hit Spain now, snow has been reported in Murcia & even by the sea in Cartagena & San Javier airport, temperatures there were around 1C this afternoon. Murcia had a low of -1C,  Alicante airport dropped down to 0C & Benidorm had a maximum temperature today of just 7.7C...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Back to "normal" Winter temperatures here along my part of Adriatic, 8-10C but winds are now blowing for days. I hope its over soon. Back to seed sowing ;) , many plants will be ready to replant this Spring

Yesterday, cold, snow, rain.

Today, storms, strong rain and hail! And of course, cold. Now 5°c.

The hail in my garden and the papaya after hail:(

IMG-20170119-WA0009.thumb.jpg.ed0554341cIMG-20170119-WA0007.thumb.jpg.22ac5919a0IMG-20170119-WA0010.thumb.jpg.d4a1ffafd7

• Upvote 1

Portugal was also affected by the extreme cold, some inland areas reached -8, I think some stations might have had record lows, but warmer coastal areas like Lisbon barely got below 4c. 

Edited by Cluster

6 hours ago, Cluster said:

Portugal was also affected by the extreme cold, some inland areas reached -8, I think some stations might have had record lows, but warmer coastal areas like Lisbon barely got below 4c. 

Yes. That surprising. I saw on internet minus 1 for Sines. 2 degree for Lisbon, 3 for Sagres and 4 for Faro. Sagres is far west point of Europe and this temerature is quiet low.

If you are more information about record low please share.

I noticed it has been cold on the French Riviera too, Cannes has had a few below freezing nights with the coldest being -4.3C & Nice as low as -1.8C.

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Here at my place the temp go down to - 1,6°C. It surprising but this winter Hyeres area (where i am located) is the mildest place on frech riviera. Keep fingers cross.

Apparently that temperature in Nice was the coldest since 2005 & in Cannes was the coldest there since 1986.

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

I am not sure for Cannes. Did you check data? February 2012 has been cold in south east of France too. Anyway hope next February won't be so cold.

Edited by zootropical

Hello Jean,

I am not sure about record lows but people in the meteo forums were wondering if the temperature in the stations on the 19th January, like -7.5ºC Tomar, -7,9ºC Coruche or -6,7ºC Alvega, reached records. It was also said that the lowest temperature from ipma stations on that day was from Sabugal, -9,9. Lets wait for this last night's results now:). In any case here is the the map with yesterday's temperatures: http://www.ipma.pt/en/otempo/obs.superficie/index-map-dia-chart.jsp

Frozen river in Bragança: http://sicnoticias.sapo.pt/pais/2017-01-19-Temperaturas-negativas-congelam-rio-em-Braganca

PS: Meanwhile Madeira had 15 c min in the coast :lol:

Edited by Cluster

Thank you for your map. It is great information source. - 6,7 °C for Aljezur. It is very cold. 

I visited south Portugal last December to have a look at possible place to grow a garden (in the future). Probably the savest is around Faro or in Algarve close to spain border. What is your opinion about best climate in Portugal? 

Sincerely.

15 hours ago, zootropical said:

I am not sure for Cannes. Did you check data? February 2012 has been cold in south east of France too. Anyway hope next February won't be so cold.

It was someone on a weather forum who lives in Nice that said about the temperatures there & in Cannes. I just checked the data from 2012 & Nice had several below freezing nights but the coldest was -1.3C, Cannes had 13 below freezing nights with the lowest being -4.0C.

We have southerly winds here at the moment so the temperature is still 15.5C at 1am, though there is lots of airborne Saharan dust too...

Edited by SouthSeaNate
adding extra info

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Temperatures here for the last 8-9 days are again normal for the most part ( after that coldest period in last 50 years in Dalmatia ).

Some plants are damaged like citrus ( but they will survive )

P1171015.jpg

P1171016.jpg

P1171011.jpg

P1171066.jpg

P1191001.jpg

P1191032.jpg

P1190998.jpg

Avocado

P1191021.jpg

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SouthSeaNate said:

It was someone on a weather forum who lives in Nice that said about the temperatures there & in Cannes. I just checked the data from 2012 & Nice had several below freezing nights but the coldest was -1.3C, Cannes had 13 below freezing nights with the lowest being -4.0C.

We have southerly winds here at the moment so the temperature is still 15.5C at 1am, though there is lots of airborne Saharan dust too...

A lot of very local cold pockets. Iin my area the worst after 1985 was probably 2012. This winter is cold but frost didn't fall to deep. 

Are you totamy frost free in Malta? 

2 hours ago, Cikas said:

Temperatures here for the last 8-9 days are again normal for the most part ( after that coldest period in last 50 years in Dalmatia ).

Some plants are damaged like citrus ( but they will survive )

What about your minimal temperature?

Sincerely.