IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Possible Florida Freeze - December

IHB1979

18 minutes ago, Walt said:

Today's high in Lake Placid was 67 degrees. 20 degrees cooler than the day before yesterday. This December was warmer than any other since I moved here in 1997.  Many pink Tabebuia trees are in full bloom. I've never seen any species of tabebuia bloom in December. I took the below pic today on my way home from town. This tree is actually past it's peak. It had many more blooms several days ago. You can see many fallen blooms lying on ground.

I suspect some radiational cooling tonight with temperatures down in the low 40s.

Pink%20tabebuia%2012-30-16_zpszuykf3c0.j

Wow, that is indeed early Walt.. and here I thought seeing these.. and the more common gold ones, flowering in mid - January last year was a bit early ( for the Bradenton/ Sarasota area) On a similar note, I came across several Sweet Acacia trees in bloom locally on Christmas Eve ..which also seems quite early, even for them. Near by specimens here in Chandler and around Tempe had just started flowering when we pulled into town last March. I'll have to check on the only H. impegitinosus specimen I know of locally to see if it's budding yet. There's another, smaller one doing quite well at a nursery in Tucson I'm hoping will flower this coming spring. 

48.7 this morning, though it is currently colder now. I'm expecting around 40f as the low so no precautionary measures are needed. :)

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

23 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Thanks, I might have to stop by next year.

Go.. you will not regret attending that event. FYI, get there as early as you can. All the "good stuff" moves pretty quickly after they start letting people in. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Go.. you will not regret attending that event. FYI, get there as early as you can. All the "good stuff" moves pretty quickly after they start letting people in. 

I probably will. I went last year and the only two palm growers I recall seeing there were Frank Tintera and Calusa Palms... Leu Garden's annual sale is the one I'm really excited to attend. :D 

43 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

I probably will. I went last year and the only two palm growers I recall seeing there were Frank Tintera and Calusa Palms... Leu Garden's annual sale is the one I'm really excited to attend. :D 

Now that you mention it, I'm PRETTY sure that Calusa is the vendor that sold me the Atlantic Tall.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

58 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

~sigh~  Leu's plant sale.. The ONE sale I never had a chance to make it to, lol.. ohwell.. I'll make the trip back there soon enough:greenthumb:

From what I remember, the Central Florida Chapter of the Palm / Cycad Society had their booth set up for the spring sale every time I attended..  Calusa always brings some good stuff (palms, etc..) 

Went outside at 5:00 a.m. with my thermalcouple. 49 degrees F in backyard and 53 degrees under canopy of my largest bismarckia palm. Don't expect more than a 2 degree further drop until around 7:30 a.m., when temperatures generally start to rise this time of the year after sun comes up.

Mad about palms

Low at my house was    41.4 .

At 7:30 am :

My house  41.6   , Daytona Airport ( official )   38.0  .  and way west of here in western Flagler County at my sister's house   33.6

Beachside had no real difference , in this front , because it was a gentle breeze from the west hereabouts , but I could hear the surf throughout the night 

despite the westerly air flow .

BTW , here is a darned good live webcam at Flagler Beach.

http://flaglersurf.com/webcam/

41.0 as measured in the lanai so I'm guessing about 38f in the garden. 

18 hours ago, nitsua0895 said:

I'm curious, do you know what can cause it to be colder in Ocala than Montgomery? We were at about 38F last night and supposed to be 36F tonight. I see on our forecast that it's going to turn cloudy late tonight so I'm guessing that plays a role.

Ocala sits in a cold drain that stretches from Tally south. It is like a tunnel that feeds cold air a path. Also, it is flat and their dewpoint was very low. Montgomdery, being further west, might have started the return winds from another direction (or even wind itself can mix up the air to prevent rapidly falling temps). Ocala was calm according to their airport. We were also calm here on the coast so influence from the Gulf was not much, so we hit 40F right on the nose at 7am. Brrr

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Looks like we never got below 40F on the back side of the house, rose to 70F by noon.  Thrilled by the quick warm up.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Final report for 2016

Low 12/31: 47.7F  Forecast: 45F

On to 2017. Warmer than average temps for the first week in Jan.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sebring FAWN recorded 85.87 degrees for a high today. Palmdale FAWN recorded 87.42 today. We are definitely on a heat roll so far this fall and winter.

I went to the FAWN website and did a report to see what the daily highs were for December at the Sebring FAWN. The results: 18 days above 80 degrees for highs. Seven of those days were above 85 degrees, with one day 91.41 degrees! Only two days where it didn't get out of the 60s (a 63 and 65). The balance of the days were all in the 70s for a high. With no rain, I've been hand watering various palms and plantings about every three days.

Mad about palms

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎55‎:‎09‎, Walt said:

Today's high in Lake Placid was 67 degrees. 20 degrees cooler than the day before yesterday. This December was warmer than any other since I moved here in 1997.  Many pink Tabebuia trees are in full bloom. I've never seen any species of tabebuia bloom in December. I took the below pic today on my way home from town. This tree is actually past it's peak. It had many more blooms several days ago. You can see many fallen blooms lying on ground.

I suspect some radiational cooling tonight with temperatures down in the low 40s.

Pink%20tabebuia%2012-30-16_zpszuykf3c0.j

Walt,

I think it will go down as a record warm December over there as well as over here too.  We have had record and near record highs in the 80'sF lately with overnight lows in the mid 60'sF to around 70F, when our day time highs here should be about 66F or 67F this time of year!  Even the Gulf beach water temp here has been running WAY ABOVE NORMAL.  Lately, our beach water temps have been about 64F to 67F when they should be about 55F to 57F this time of year!

John

16 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Walt,

I think it will go down as a record warm December over there as well as over here too.  We have had record and near record highs in the 80'sF lately with overnight lows in the mid 60'sF to around 70F, when our day time highs here should be about 66F or 67F this time of year!  Even the Gulf beach water temp here has been running WAY ABOVE NORMAL.  Lately, our beach water temps have been about 64F to 67F when they should be about 55F to 57F this time of year!

John

John, The New Year continued on just as December. Jan. 1st: 84 degrees. Jan. 2nd: 85 degrees. Jan. 3rd: 86 degrees.   As I write this at 12: 50 p.m. it's 83 degrees. This morning I noticed about 20 blooms on one of my Tabebuia chrysotricha trees. I've been growing this species of tree for 18 years, and the earliest I ever started to see blooms was in late January. But a cool down is coming by this weekend.

Mad about palms

On 1/4/2017, 11:54:00, Walt said:

John, The New Year continued on just as December. Jan. 1st: 84 degrees. Jan. 2nd: 85 degrees. Jan. 3rd: 86 degrees.   As I write this at 12: 50 p.m. it's 83 degrees. This morning I noticed about 20 blooms on one of my Tabebuia chrysotricha trees. I've been growing this species of tree for 18 years, and the earliest I ever started to see blooms was in late January. But a cool down is coming by this weekend.

Walt,

We started off January unusually warm too, just like December, but then the BIG FREEZE hit here on the 7th and 8th with temps down to 27.5F at my place on Saturday morning with about 9 to 9.5 hours below freezing and then down to 29.5F at my place on Sunday morning with about 5 hours below freezing.  None of us over here were expecting anything below the low 30'sF near the water, but were we WRONG!  Anyway, I hope at least 2 oe 3 of my 8 in ground coconut palms will make it.  I think everything else will, but will look bad for about 4 or 5 months.

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Walt,

We started off January unusually warm too, just like December, but then the BIG FREEZE hit here on the 7th and 8th with temps down to 27.5F at my place on Saturday morning with about 9 to 9.5 hours below freezing and then down to 29.5F at my place on Sunday morning with about 5 hours below freezing.  None of us over here were expecting anything below the low 30'sF near the water, but were we WRONG!  Anyway, I hope at least 2 oe 3 of my 8 in ground coconut palms will make it.  I think everything else will, but will look bad for about 4 or 5 months.

John

Were any of the eight coconuts protected? What temps did they see?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Alex,

I watered all my in ground coconut palms really good the night before the front came through, and brought my potted ones inside.  The night it started getting really cold, I wrapped all my in ground coconuts with old towels and blankets around the trunks.  Then on Monday, I sprayed my Bonide Organic Copper Fungicide at a rate of 1 ounce per gallon of water and doused them really good with it.  That was the second application of the copper fungicide since I did the first application in Dec.  Next week, I plan on spraying them with my MicroLife All Organic 4-2-3 Ocean Harvest as a foliar spray.  It has over 70 minerals and micronutrients.  Hopefully, by doing these things, I can get at least 3 or 4 out of the 8 to survive and recover.

John

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Alex,

I watered all my in ground coconut palms really good the night before the front came through, and brought my potted ones inside.  The night it started getting really cold, I wrapped all my in ground coconuts with old towels and blankets around the trunks.  Then on Monday, I sprayed my Bonide Organic Copper Fungicide at a rate of 1 ounce per gallon of water and doused them really good with it.  That was the second application of the copper fungicide since I did the first application in Dec.  Next week, I plan on spraying them with my MicroLife All Organic 4-2-3 Ocean Harvest as a foliar spray.  It has over 70 minerals and micronutrients.  Hopefully, by doing these things, I can get at least 3 or 4 out of the 8 to survive and recover.

John

Awesome, John!  The water, was it lukewarm or ambient temp? I have Daconil and I have Bonide Neem oil on hand, but now that you mention it, I will get a hold of some Bonide Organic Copper Fungicide. I have read about several posters who have applied it to their palms after near-catastrophic cold spells. I (hopefully) will not need it, but as the saying goes "better to have it and not use it than it is to need it and not have it."

Alex

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)