IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons and Magnifica as potted inside?de?

Mohsen

Yes, I have two altifrons and one Magnifica.   All three are kept in master bath where humidity is higher and only see's bright light and maybe just a few minutes of direct sun depending on the time of year at sunset.

• Upvote 2

Yes I am growing both species indoors.  They grow slowly but steadily. The only difficulty I have is keeping the air damp enough. They all have some browning of the leaf ends to some degree and my guess it has to do with lack of moisture in the air. The plants appear healthy and growing but the brown tips break down some of their charme. Still I try to get them to look better but with their current speed of growth that won't be tomorrow. I've taken measures with better soil but humidity is not something I try to raise too much in my house. They will just have to manage.
Repotting joeys is something best not done because the roots are very, very tender. Best to use soft plastic containers that can be carefully cut when the time comes repotting is unevitable. Growing them from seed is the best option. Barerooted seedlings have no chance in my experience, best do that with Chamaedorea...A plant sent in a pot might survive but it will have to acclimatize to indoor conditions, creating maybe an even larger setback than when you started with a seed. Fresh seeds germinate within days.

• Upvote 5

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, Kai said:

And of course without ilustration talk is just talk...

Johannsteijsmannia magnifica with a regular sized CD for scale. Seed germinated May 2014.

Kai, I don’t think that the brown tips are a matter of humidity … But the palm looks great. :greenthumb:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

14 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Kai, I don’t think that the brown tips are a matter of humidity … But the palm looks great. :greenthumb:

Do you think that it has something to do with fertilization? If that is the case then it might actually qualify as a good houseplant for me. In a few years it might be a larger and better looking plant.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

5 hours ago, Kai said:

Yes I am growing both species indoors.  They grow slowly but steadily. The only difficulty I have is keeping the air damp enough. They all have some browning of the leaf ends to some degree and my guess it has to do with lack of moisture in the air. The plants appear healthy and growing but the brown tips break down some of their charme. Still I try to get them to look better but with their current speed of growth that won't be tomorrow. I've taken measures with better soil but humidity is not something I try to raise too much in my house. They will just have to manage.
Repotting joeys is something best not done because the roots are very, very tender. Best to use soft plastic containers that can be carefully cut when the time comes repotting is unevitable. Growing them from seed is the best option. Barerooted seedlings have no chance in my experience, best do that with Chamaedorea...A plant sent in a pot might survive but it will have to acclimatize to indoor conditions, creating maybe an even larger setback than when you started with a seed. Fresh seeds germinate within days.

Thanks Kai for nice info

i wanted to buy both as potted but they are not cheap...I might re think so I might grow from seed but I think the only option would be RPS?

47 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Kai for nice info

i wanted to buy both as potted but they are not cheap...I might re think so I might grow from seed but I think the only option would be RPS?

Hi Mohsen,

Yes RPS occasionally has joey seeds. The altifrons a lot more affordable than the magnifica. Wait for RPS to have "new" (fresh) seeds for best results!

I got my magnifica seeds from "borneopalmseeds". I contacted them through email because the site got me confused about availability of the seeds. I got fast, correct and polite answer and had some further pleasant conversation. It took some weeks for the seeds to arrive in Amsterdam but they had put some effort in packing. 90% had allready germinated on the way and still intact.

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Oh the money I have spent and the tears I have shed on these bloody things. Indoors, outdoors, they have one intention....a speedy death.

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

4 hours ago, peachy said:

Oh the money I have spent and the tears I have shed on these bloody things. Indoors, outdoors, they have one intention....a speedy death.

oh, if you couldn't do that in your location what kind of chance I have :(

All 3 Joey's reside in the master bath. Small Altifrons and magnifica next to my sink and large 1 gallon Altifrons on rack above Jacuzzi with other high humidity palms.

Bottle for scale.  The large Joey is newest addition. Small Joey I've had for 2 years and pushes 1 new frond a year.

DSCF0220.JPG

DSCF0222.JPG

DSCF0223.JPG

• Upvote 9

5 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

All 3 Joey's reside in the master bath. Small Altifrons and magnifica next to my sink and large 1 gallon Altifrons on rack above Jacuzzi with other high humidity palms.

Bottle for scale.  The large Joey is newest addition. Small Joey I've had for 2 years and pushes 1 new frond a year.

You’re bathing together with your palms? That’s really true love! :greenthumb::winkie:

• Upvote 1

Pal, that tub hasn't been used since I started this hobby lol works great though to keep a couple inches of water in it for added humidity in the winter though.

Wife isn't too happy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

Pal, that tub hasn't been used since I started this hobby lol works great though to keep a couple inches of water in it for added humidity in the winter though.

Wife isn't too happy

… and now I can also understand your wife: She’s jealous, of course! :rage:

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎28‎:‎01‎, sashaeffer said:

Wife isn't too happy

You haven't bathed since you started in the hobby? No wonder your wife isn't happy!

• Upvote 1

On Sun Nov 27 15:18:39, sashaeffer said:

DSCF0220.JPG

DSCF0222.JPG

DSCF0223.JPG

Awesome indoor joeys! I can understand your wife if she has to tell her friends that her husband keeps a moist Joey in the bathroom...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

On 11/27/2016, 6:18:39, sashaeffer said:

DSCF0220.JPG

DSCF0222.JPG

nice

17 hours ago, hbernstein said:

You haven't bathed since you started in the hobby? No wonder your wife isn't happy!

lol, shower works just fine and to the left of the tub out of the picture

• 1 year later...

So 2 years later my magnifica is still performing quite well indoors. It actually sailed through winter where temperatures in my plant room are around 17 to 18°C. The south facing windows do let in a lot of sunlight from the low hanging winter sun.

20180305_200926.thumb.jpg.732efe7cddf175

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for scale :blink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Hello Kai,

that palm is amazing :greenthumb:

Does it need special conditions inside? Was thinking of buying seeds but was afraid they would be to sensitive and the risk of loosing them was to high. Therefore the price even for seeds is much too high.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 2 months later...

Hello All, Some comments and photos regarding my Joey Palm (J. altifrons):  First, many thanks to all who participate in these discussions.  A year ago I was infatuated with internet photos of the Joey palm, my online research lead me to discover the Palm Talk forum.  Forum threads on the cultural needs and member photos of successful container culture etc encouraged me to attempt growing a Joey in my cold winter climate (Newport, RI area).  What has worked for me: I have been growing Kentias indoors for over 20 years (H. forsteriana & belmoreana) and I treat the Joey very similar to the Kentias.  Some of the best pointers I gathered on Joey culture is that even though they are native to a wet climate, they grow on hillsides where rain falls abundantly but quickly runs away from the roots.  I always wait to water until the top inch of soil is no longer damp.  For my Joey in a 6” pot, sometimes this can be 7-10 days.  I followed a  palm potting mix suggestion made by member Pal Meir and others and modified the components by what I could find locally: (1/3 orchid mix bark; 1/3 Leca clay pebbles; and 1/3 peat & perlite generic potting soil).  The Leca was hard to find but I did locate/order from W*Mart online; only small quantity needed as container is small.  Mix drains super fast; yet the peat and bark deeper in the pot retain enough moisture in-between waterings.  I fertilize with a weakened solution 20-20-20 every other watering.  Also, indoor winter conditions at my current residence were not ideal for humidity or temperature (dry radiator heat, night time temps reversed from what I would prefer as they registered 70 deg F at night and 60 deg F during the day) but the palm seemed not to mind as much as my orchids did.  The Joey was much more tolerant of these lousy indoor winter conditions than I expected it to be.  Seems to be a steady, slow-moderate grower indoors similar to the Kentia.  I kept the Joey in sunny window during cold months.  Container was set slightly above shallow tray holding water; pot bottom always above the water level so that drainage holes never sat in water.  During the frost-free months the Joey is outdoors with my Kentias and orchids under shade of large deciduous trees.

Following the trend set by other PT Joey growing members, you’ll notice (in photo) that my Joey has ambitions on taking over the Jacuzzi/tub.  We are remodeling this long neglected sun-room and will be adding proper heating.  Next year the Joey and the orchids will winter in this more agreeable setting until I eventually build a greenhouse.

-Joe

5af849ee85ec7_Joeybath.thumb.jpg.463cad55af84ab94e1ab_Joeyskylight.thumb.jpg.59b

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

Just amazing!!!  An impressive specimen.  You will be transported to the tropics whenever you enter that room all winter long.