IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"File upload failed" message - why?

DoomsDave

I've tried uploading a number of pictures to this site and keep getting file upload failed messages.

Why is this and what can be done?

Thanks

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I got this message frequently until site had an upgrade, now just occasionally. Don't know why this happens. Sometimes I suspect I don't click the upload feature "authoritatively" enough. The feature seems to abhor "wishy-washy" clicks. I just repeat upload actions until one takes. A time-consuming PITA to be sure but I know no other options. I also make sure now that my photos aren't overly large as that also may annoy the upload gods.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

17 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I've tried uploading a number of pictures to this site and keep getting file upload failed messages.

Why is this and what can be done?

Thanks

Dave - information is good. Like what is the file size you are trying to upload? Are you uploading one or multiple?  What are the pixel dimensions? Are you choosing your photo or dragging and dropping? Are you uploading from a desktop or phone? What OS? Is the version up to date? Can you upload any photos at all? I thought I saw you post some within the past few days? etc. etc. etc.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dean:

Thanks for the response!

It seems to happen to particular pictures, whether singly or in groups.

Average size is about 4 MB

I have Windows 10, on a desktop. I'm choosing the photo.

I can upload some pictures but not others; I can't discern any reason why.

I'll experiment a bit, based on the message you gave me.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave - I think it is the pixel dimensions that is confusing the software. There are so many weird sizes coming out of cameras these days. I'm curious, when you have an issue, tell me the pic dimensions.

Having said that, I'm working on another solution. Should be rolled out soon.

2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Dave - I think it is the pixel dimensions that is confusing the software. There are so many weird sizes coming out of cameras these days. I'm curious, when you have an issue, tell me the pic dimensions.

Having said that, I'm working on another solution. Should be rolled out soon.

Okay

will dig up pixels for pics

• 2 months later...

I've noticed this from both Safari on a Mac and iOS. The odd thing is, if I get a file upload error and post my comment anyway, I can immediately edit that post and insert the exact same picture without an error.

On 2/9/2017, 2:19:01, Matt in OC said:

I've noticed this from both Safari on a Mac and iOS. The odd thing is, if I get a file upload error and post my comment anyway, I can immediately edit that post and insert the exact same picture without an error.

It's a memory allocation error that I am working on.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've had some trouble uploading the past few days. I've tried Safari and Firefox and get the file upload error. I resized the picture a few times and still didn't have any success. 

edit: I had to shrink this below 1MB before it would upload.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 16.14.59.png

• 3 weeks later...

Still having this problem. I tried shrinking the jpg down and still got an error, but it said error processing image -200. I converted the file to a much larger PNG and it uploaded fine in this thread. I tried Firefox and Safari on OS X with the same errors.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/45187-what-is-this-palm-seen-in-fancy-hotel-called-pelican-hill-in-socal/&_fromLogin=1#replyForm

Matt - I think any remaining problems are related to pixel dimensions, not file size. Can you tell me the pixel dimensions of photos that fail to upload? But in addition - your example - it looks as if you are trying an almost 18MB upload. It looks like it failed on the 11 MB photo. That is a huge photo.

I just took a test picture from my iPhone 7plus. The image size is 3024x4032, 72dpi, 2.3MB. This is with the default camera app, no retouching or anything. The photo failed to upload. Thanks!

On 4/17/2017, 5:18:52, PALM MOD said:

Matt - I think any remaining problems are related to pixel dimensions, not file size. Can you tell me the pixel dimensions of photos that fail to upload? But in addition - your example - it looks as if you are trying an almost 18MB upload. It looks like it failed on the 11 MB photo. That is a huge photo.

• 3 months later...

Hello! I am also currently having an issue uploading some pictures. Get the failed error as shown above from iPhone using Safari and from Windows 10 where I've resized a 4MB photo (PNG file) down to 1.93 MB.  I have tried "drag and drop" as well as inserting and from Windows 10 using Internet Edge I get the "Must be under 8MB" error. The pixel dimensions are 754 x 867 with 32 bit depth.  I will try with other browsers to see if this helps, but I'm pretty sure I had the same issue last year (or earlier this year) using IE and/or Chrome.

Stay tuned!

• 2 months later...

I have given up on trying to upload pictures directly to PT and have used an URL from my own website. Works, but all the pictures are sideways although on my own site they are upright and also on other sites I have used the URL. Only PT has the issue.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

FYI- When I get the error, I resize down to around 4-6 MB, and then it works. It doesn't seem to like large file sizes > ~ 8mb anymore, at least that is my experience.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

• 3 weeks later...

I have given up on trying to upload pictures directly to PT and have used an URL from my own website. Works, but all the pictures are sideways although on my own site they are upright and also on other sites I have used the URL. Only PT has the issue.

OK, so I given up trying to get photos on PT but maybe someone can help solve the problem.....

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

I used to have a hard time uploading pics but it has been working great for me the past two months.  I am still unable to quote anyone when using my PC.

• 1 month later...