IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dang upright d.onilahensis has a lot of white!

Stevetoad

I was cleaning up my side yard and rediscovered the dypsis onilahensis upright form that I planted a few years ago. I still don't see how this and the weepy form are the same. My upright form is easily 4 times as fast and has that rusty fuzz on the crownshaft. Anyway, check out all this white. This is my favorite palm for today. 

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

• Upvote 14

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

1 minute ago, Vari805 said:

Great job Steve!  That picture doesn't look like Santee to me!  Well done.

Thanks. If I can't move to Hawaii I'll bring Hawaii to me. Or demand that Santee become the 9th island. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

That thing is sweet! I can imagine a huge clump, with several, full white trunks :indifferent:... 

That would be something spectacular!!!:drool:

Very nice!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very nice. How much sun does it get? What do you think is the lowest temp it has seen? I have a 1g that I purchased from Floribunda a few months ago. Even though it is small it pushes about 1" of spear a day! 

Great looking palm.  What's its history?  How long I the ground, from what size?

I have one of these that is much smaller.  it's starting  to get some color but not as nice as yours.  It is also a pretty slow grow.

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Great looking palm.  What's its history?  How long I the ground, from what size?

I have one of these that is much smaller.  it's starting  to get some color but not as nice as yours.  It is also a pretty slow grow.

I planted it as a one gallon January 2013. It's been a fairly fast grower as now it's about 8 feet tall to the top of the leaves. Here's a pic of it February 2013. It's almost impossible to see so I outlined it in red. 

IMG_1203.thumb.JPG.032e9f0101919a38d1088

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

8 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

Very nice. How much sun does it get? What do you think is the lowest temp it has seen? I have a 1g that I purchased from Floribunda a few months ago. Even though it is small it pushes about 1" of spear a day! 

I have a few of these. This one get about no sun and seems to be growing the fastest. My yard has seen 26f with frost out in the open so I would guess that this area still saw 28f. Cold and heat don't seem to big these at all. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Great looking palm Steve. They just seem to love our climate; they look every bit as good here as in Hawaii, & seem to grow just as fast here as over there. That waxy white look is just killer.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

2 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

I planted it as a one gallon January 2013. It's been a fairly fast grower as now it's about 8 feet tall to the top of the leaves. Here's a pic of it February 2013. It's almost impossible to see so I outlined it in red. 

IMG_1203.thumb.JPG.032e9f0101919a38d1088

Wow!  Mine is a total snail on comparison.  Either I got a dud or I need to water more.

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Wow!  Mine is a total snail on comparison.  Either I got a dud or I need to water more.

Water more.

The more I water the faster mine grow.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree with Dave. The area this one is in stays pretty moist all the time

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Water more.

Sounds good.  Will see what I can do to up the water.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Sounds good.  Will see what I can do to up the water.  Thanks.

Does it seem happy otherwise?

25 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Does it seem happy otherwise?

Yes it does.  I will take some pics in the daylight tomorrow and share them.

Just now, Hammer said:

Yes it does.  I will take some pics in the daylight tomorrow and share them.

It's a droopy, if I recall.

They're slower than stiffies like Steve's but glad to hear it's okay.

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Water more.

I agree. I have 2 in my garden that I planted as 1 gallons in spring 2012. One of them stays moist (leaky valve) most of the time and is in a shaded area. The other one rarely gets watered at all and is in full blazing Escondido sun. Surprisingly, it looks great (short but fat) but is about half the size of the one that gets water. These palms are tough as nails. 

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

It's a droopy, if I recall.

They're slower than stiffies like Steve's but glad to hear it's okay.

I have 2 droopys, courtesy of you.

The one that is SLOW for me is an upright form.

11 hours ago, Hammer said:

I have 2 droopys, courtesy of you.

The one that is SLOW for me is an upright form.

I gather the droopys are okay?

I found them to be a bit slow, but well worth the wait.

Droopy and stiffy love the sun . . .

Looking great Steve!  The pics of your place always look so nice. Quite the paradise you've created!

im out watering now and took these pics of mine. 

Upright form:

IMG_8699.thumb.JPG.caefdb4d9245f46e91881

Droopy form:

IMG_8700.thumb.JPG.22b97b386478fe69cd80d

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Looking great Steve!  The pics of your place always look so nice. Quite the paradise you've created!

Upright form:

Droopy form:

IMG_8700.thumb.JPG.22b97b386478fe69cd80d

Awesome!!! They look perfect. I think I still like the droopy form a little bit more. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

2 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Upright form:

Looking good Jason. Starting to look like the habitat plants. Coincidentally enough, like yours, most the stiff leaf forms of this plant in Isalo were single trunk too.

dypsis-onilahensis-stiff-leaf-isalo.jpg

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

22 minutes ago, LJG said:

Looking good Jason. Starting to look like the habitat plants. Coincidentally enough, like yours, most the stiff leaf forms of this plant in Isalo were single trunk too.

Great shot Len. Wish mine was recurved like that. 

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Adam, I can't recall if it was you or Jawad that bought that unknown Syagrus from Mardy''s sale that had a small seedling in the pot from his Stiff-leaf Only. I hope you do as it is a different plant than this one. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

25 minutes ago, LJG said:

Adam, I can't recall if it was you or Jawad that bought that unknown Syagrus from Mardy''s sale that had a small seedling in the pot from his Stiff-leaf Only. I hope you do as it is a different plant than this one. 

It was me.  I separated the tiny seedling out.  It survived for a while but it ended up succumbing.  

I was very bummed to lose it.

27 minutes ago, LJG said:

You think the "upright" one above is not Onilahensis ?   I bought it from Phil Bergman on a day Matty was working there.  It was tagged as onilahensis but I have been a little sceptical since it has been such a slow grower.

19 minutes ago, Hammer said:

You think the "upright" one above is not Onilahensis ?   I bought it from Phil Bergman on a day Matty was working there.  It was tagged as onilahensis but I have been a little sceptical since it has been such a slow grower.

I bet I have the same plant. Things been in the ground for about 4 years. It pushes new leaves but refuses to trunk. These are old pics but good enough to compare. It gets plenty of water  and looks just like my other uprights.  I can't remember where I got this from for sure but I seem to think I got it from Phil too. I have at least one upright that I got from Phil and it's been pretty fast. 

*EDIT* the old pics are from may 2014 and here's 2 pics from tonight. Hasn't changed much.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

TONIGHT

IMG_1207.thumb.JPG.481217e76d61af15e94e0

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.0f1fbdbd1a19067df4ec6

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

On 11/3/2016, 6:53:26, LJG said:

Great picture Len!