IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who Grows Washingtonia In Pots?

PalmTreeDude

Thanks Richard.

Here is a visual of Washy Filibusta :

IMG_0641.thumb.jpg.90b98d41edf211537e6bc

In a span of very few months it grew big and damped-off due to blocked drain holes..

IMG_3493.thumb.jpg.8bba61f33c187eaf4dbec

• Upvote 6

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Oh i wish I had room for one of these, they look lovely!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Yeah, Washingtonia filifera look better, in my opinion, but a well taken care of W. robusta can look great too! 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

• 3 weeks later...

All you need is love . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

All you need is love . . . .

By the way DoomsDave, I planted all of the Chamaedorea radicalis seeds you sent me and nearly all of them germinated! Haha! I've now got around 13 Ch.radicalis seedlings (about 3-5 inches tall with 2 leaves each) now. I'm going to give some to my family and friends. My boss at work wants one too. They sprouted in around a weel or two once I put them in my seedling tray with my heating mat underneath. 

None of the Dypsis Lutescens or Dypsis Lanceolata germinated though. I don't know why. I did what you instructed me to do, soaked them overnight and I even put them in my seedling tray ontop of my heating mat. I even placed a humidity dome ontop of the tray to retain humidity.   

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

50 minutes ago, RobustaEnvirons said:

By the way DoomsDave, I planted all of the Chamaedorea radicalis seeds you sent me and nearly all of them germinated! Haha! I've now got around 13 Ch.radicalis seedlings (about 3-5 inches tall with 2 leaves each) now. I'm going to give some to my family and friends. My boss at work wants one too. They sprouted in around a weel or two once I put them in my seedling tray with my heating mat underneath. 

None of the Dypsis Lutescens or Dypsis Lanceolata germinated though. I don't know why. I did what you instructed me to do, soaked them overnight and I even put them in my seedling tray ontop of my heating mat. I even placed a humidity dome ontop of the tray to retain humidity.   

Sorry to hear about the Dypsis.

Check on them; dig don with your fingers and, when you find a seed, give it a hard squeeze between thumb and forefinger. If it's hard like a little stone, keep waiting. Sometimes they take their sweet time. If it squishes, yuck, but check some more before giving up on them. Some of the Dypsis take months to sprout, as in 6+.

Glad about the Chamadoreas! Want some more? I just got some.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018, 12:08:38, DoomsDave said:

Glad about the Chamadoreas! Want some more? I just got some.

Yeah, I sure would. They're a nice little sturdy palm and I really enjoy them. If you have more seed, I'll sure take some. :D:greenthumb:

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

4 hours ago, RobustaEnvirons said:

Yeah, I sure would. They're a nice little sturdy palm and I really enjoy them. If you have more seed, I'll sure take some. :D:greenthumb:

Shoot me your address again in a PM

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Down the street from me a few good looking adults I snagged a few babies and potted them. Some will stay in pots as dwarf or bonsai for the shelf. Will update in fall! Thank you

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

• 2 years later...

I have quite a few Wahingtonia Filiferas and filibusters I am growing in containers. Just wondering is anyone out there looking for these trees ?

I am located in Swansea S.C.

Andy 803 530 6092.     Thanks

Edited by Andrew Burroughs
May 2 2021

The last pic of the full plant is from March. His name is Dirty Sanchez and all he does is grow and stab me. I can take a daytime pic tomorrow to see how much growth he's put on since then if anyone cares. He might outgrow my lease on this apartment. Def in competition with my indoor C. Cataractum for ridiculous growth rate. 

20210503_214408.jpg

20210321_174649.jpg

Message_1615074221762.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/22/2016 at 12:53 PM, Pal Meir said:

Who? Me since 1972:

580ba7853bb1b_Washingtonia74N07-0306.thu

580ba78a48a43_Washingtonia1989-09-07.thu

580ba7916a06a_Washingtonia2012-07-06IMG_

Pal Meir, please forgive my ignorance. The longest plant I’ve had in a pot is 12 years. With washingtonia being such a vigorous grower did you have to root prune to keep it that small? Basically a bonsai palm tree?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:00 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

The last pic of the full plant is from March. His name is Dirty Sanchez and all he does is grow and stab me. I can take a daytime pic tomorrow to see how much growth he's put on since then if anyone cares. He might outgrow my lease on this apartment. Def in competition with my indoor C. Cataractum for ridiculous growth rate. 

20210503_214408.jpg

20210321_174649.jpg

Message_1615074221762.jpg

Haha your plants names are the best!!!

• Upvote 3

I’ve got a filifera seedling on the way, plan on keeping it potted for life. I can’t remember the thread but people were showing pics and talking about roots busting through pots. I’m good with up potting plants to a point. Definitely have to be a able to bring this thing inside in the winter. Any tips on long term potted fast growing palms? Root pruning?

2 hours ago, teddytn said:

I’ve got a filifera seedling on the way, plan on keeping it potted for life. I can’t remember the thread but people were showing pics and talking about roots busting through pots. I’m good with up potting plants to a point. Definitely have to be a able to bring this thing inside in the winter. Any tips on long term potted fast growing palms? Root pruning?

Dirty Sanchez isn't busting through the pot, but he's def pushed through into the water reservoir (I use bottom watering pots)  

It's super rooty in there and he'll need to be repotted sooner rather than later. 

Mine are in the house in the winter, and the rest of the time outside.  They are 3 years old.

Screenshot_20210507-214532_Gallery.jpg

39 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Dirty Sanchez isn't busting through the pot, but he's def pushed through into the water reservoir (I use bottom watering pots)  

It's super rooty in there and he'll need to be repotted sooner rather than later. 

I know you’re gonna be attached to old dirty, whatcha gonna do when he turns into a monster?

8 minutes ago, teddytn said:

I know you’re gonna be attached to old dirty, whatcha gonna do when he turns into a monster?

If I don't have a house of my own by then, I guess he'll go to a friend's yard. Or my mom's. Pretty sure the thorns would keep her damn cats off of it lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

If I don't have a house of my own by then, I guess he'll go to a friend's yard. Or my mom's. Pretty sure the thorns would keep her damn cats off of it lol. 

Man everyone is dodging my question, how do you think this pal meir cat kept a washie in a pot so long, trimmed the root ball every couple years?

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

Man everyone is dodging my question, how do you think this pal meir cat kept a washie in a pot so long, trimmed the root ball every couple years?

Lol ask him. 

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Lol ask him. 

I tried bro, I think he’s half mythical creature and won’t answer little minions questions lol. Palmlord 

Edited by teddytn
To be funny
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, teddytn said:

I tried bro, I think he’s half mythical creature and won’t answer little minions questions lol. Palmlord 

I mean, math checks out lol. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2016 at 1:25 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome! I know if you put them in the ground it will take them around 15 years, who knows, maybe even shorter, or longer, to get that big. I know someone who planted one that had a 1 foot trunk on it in the ground at Hilton Head Island, S.C. and 9 years later it has a 8 foot trunk. 

This one is 5 or 4 years in the ground from around 1 foot. Think it is a Filabusta due to it being fatter than normal.

IMG_6188.jpeg

Edited by Palmfarmer

I find potted Washingtonia barely grow and will eventually reach a size where they just do not really do anything, except gradually decline. On top of that I have to muck around with bringing the pots inside during winter if we get a bad freeze, otherwise the roots will freeze since they are above ground. I left some of the potted ones out this year and they have spear pulled, or defoliated. They are pushing new spears again though after -6C, snow and 3-4 months below 15C, while outside in pots. Basically it is far from ideal. The ones in the ground have not defoliated and grow so much quicker. I do not recommend keeping Washingtonia in pots. Plant them in the ground, unless you are in a location with very cold winters.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

• 5 months later...
On 10/29/2017 at 6:33 PM, RobustaEnvirons said:

20171026_151158_HDR.jpg

20171026_151204_HDR.jpg

I have a fan palm that just sprouted in my very small front yard. I didn’t know what it was till now. It’s about a foot tall. I’m thinking of digging it out and transfer it to a big pot. Can I do it now or should I wait till next spring or summer. What’s the right way of taking it out of the ground.. ?? Help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 5:48 AM, Kristina said:

I have a fan palm that just sprouted in my very small front yard. I didn’t know what it was till now. It’s about a foot tall. I’m thinking of digging it out and transfer it to a big pot. Can I do it now or should I wait till next spring or summer. What’s the right way of taking it out of the ground.. ?? Help!

Where are you? Do any palms survive out doors in your climate? Photos? When you dig it up aim for the largest rootball you can. Go as deep as you can, 18-24". Pot it in as deep a pot as you can -  depth is much more important than width. I would say a deep 3g or 5g pot with lots of drain holes. Make sure you use a coarse potting mix. Don't use black cheap potting soil or top soil. Keep mix damp but not soggy and never let pot sit in a tray of water. Do not overwater, esp. indoors. 

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have three or four Washingtonias, lost count.

Easy in containers.

Most look like this.  So is it, W. filifera, W. robusta or W. filibusta?

CDCD2175-12BF-4921-8BFE-83AA84055BD4.jpeg

Edited by oasis371

My robusta hybrids. 4.5 months old. about 1/4 to 1/3 are starting to go palmate. (the 4 single leafers on left in first pic are palmettos)

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 4:13 PM, oasis371 said:

I have three or four Washingtonias, lost count.

Easy in containers.

Most look like this.  So is it, W. filifera, W. robusta or W. filibusta?

CDCD2175-12BF-4921-8BFE-83AA84055BD4.jpeg

That's probably a filibusta. Rare to find pure filiferas or robustas nowadays 

• 6 months later...

11 months old today. They have been beat up by wind and a few of them spear pulled during winter but are healthy now. Huge variance in characteristics. A few have scarlet red trunk and no fibers, while some of the others have green petioles with some purple and tons of fibers 

9AE97848-1C6D-422F-9D63-E9C616183DCF.jpeg

914D8ACF-6674-4AC4-B0D0-1485A2CEC86E.jpeg

5389A56F-3298-475F-B4FE-97201C350D62.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Couldn’t figure out why this front wouldn’t open, especially after I just fertilized until I   Look down at bottom and see the hastula has just come out. It will be a huge frond

5AC7CD49-54FF-4F35-AA6E-D0FDBE3F38E2.jpeg

F0275665-0A80-448F-AB46-759897834CC9.jpeg

Dirty Sanchez. I guess I need to do more cleanup on him to give that new frond more room. 

IMG_20220908_190013.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...