IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tropical Pams in a small greenhouse indoors

coraltotal

I fitted a portable greenhouse in a room , just to find out the hardness and strength to the palms to changing conditions . In this case , the ultrasonic humidifier working at full power to get 80% humidity .

P_20161017_134106.jpg

• Upvote 3

The media used for the potted palms was a mix of 2/3 seramis and 1/3 organic soil . 

I brought out the palms outside for watering them and cleaning the greenhouse , and I saw a quick decline in the licualas and j. magnifica due to a sudden drop to 50% humidity . The new leaves encroached and began brown tips to appear , but as soon as I restored the 80% humidity , the leaves started to expand and look good . The light is what is gotten through the window as it's supposed they are understorey palms then no much light is needed . 

The palms are still recovering of a 21 days journey from Thailand to Barcelona , Spain , and 1 month has passed by since then . 

• Upvote 2

Original greenhouse!!!

Be carefull, 80% humidity, low light and no air circulation, will be dangerous. The fungal disseases are happy in this conditions.

It will be better if you can buy a small PC fan for remove the air inside the greenhouse and open it, two times per day for change the air.

• Upvote 7

The media used for the potted palms was a mix of 2/3 seramis and 1/3 organic soil . 

I brought out the palms outside for watering them and cleaning the greenhouse , and I saw a quick decline in the licualas and j. magnifica due to a sudden drop to 50% humidity . The new leaves encroached and began brown tips to appear , but as soon as I restored the 80% humidity , the leaves started to expand and look good . The light is what is gotten through the window as it's supposed they are understorey palms then no much light is needed . 

The palms are still recovering of a 21 days journey from Thailand to Barcelona , Spain , and 1 month has passed by since then . 

Thank you . I'll set a fan inside the greenhouse to improve air circulation . Nonetheless the moisture should be maintain about 80% as licualas and johannesteijsmannia like . 

11 minutes ago, coraltotal said:

Thank you . I'll set a fan inside the greenhouse to improve air circulation . Nonetheless the moisture should be maintain about 80% as licualas and johannesteijsmannia like . 

Licualas etc. can grow healthily inside a normal living room (without humidifier or greenhouse):

58052b9781e5f_Licualagrandis2003-08-17.t

58052b9dd513d_Licualagrandis2007-09-26.t

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

For licuala grandis may be the case . I have a licuala orbicularis with brown tips on the leaves due to the lack of humidity , as indoors the moisture is very low to keep them healthy .

Now , inside the steamy greenhouse we'll see if it gets better or the humidity is not really tantamount for the growth .

Ultrasonic humidifiers are also not good - they spread fungal diseases.  You should only use a steam or evaporative humidifier, at least from what I have read.  And, as others have said, there can be too much of a good thing in any case.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Perhaps you all are right but let me find out the hard way . I've been in the tropics several times , and I experienced too different local conditions , so I'm enforced to deploy different methods for the acclimatation and husbandry of tropical palms .

To meet the requirements for each species is very hard to get on , but it's worth the try .

• Upvote 1

You are determined to grow species I love! And yes it is worth the try!

I was lucky and did not become a palmaholic until I had a tropical place to put them in the ground. However I had many other tropicals like cacao and mango and hundreds of orchids and it was a lot of work to maintain a greenhouse but no regrets!

You just pay attention to your plants and keep making adjustments as you are already doing. Best of luck to you!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Perhaps you all are right but let me find out the hard way . I've been in the tropics several times , and I experienced too different local conditions , so I'm enforced to deploy different methods for the acclimatation and husbandry of tropical palms .

To meet the requirements for each species is very hard to get on , but it's worth the try .

Thanks . I'll do that . As soon as I have success in the growth and keeping of those palms I'll report it in this forum .

Nonetheless , some of the following palms are on the way to Spain , if I'm lucky with the customs : iguanura elegans , asterogyne martiana , calyptrocalyx leptostachys , calyptrocalyx micholitzii and j. altifrons .

• Upvote 1

My J. altifrons. I bought it this year in March. It is growing outdoors in a pot and it has lots of windy days with 30% humidity.

You can see the new leaves are healthy, green and bigger than the old leaves.

Follow the Pal Meir advices and do not worry with low humidity.

IMG_20161018_183625083.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Thanks . I'll do that . As soon as I have success in the growth and keeping of those palms I'll report it in this forum .

Nonetheless , some of the following palms are on the way to Spain , if I'm lucky with the customs : iguanura elegans , asterogyne martiana , calyptrocalyx leptostachys , calyptrocalyx micholitzii and j. altifrons .

I'm very puzzled that your j.altifrons can stand such harsh climate as dry winds kill most understorey palms . 

Barcelona is slightly cooler than Elche and is as dry as in any other mediterranean location .

Anyway , please , keep me update of the growth of your joey's .

Monover is right. I can vouch for Licuala at least. The guys in the green pot are Lucuala grandis, 5 months old, and sitting on a terace facing the sea (full wind and low humidity most of the time). They seem to be doing great. The ones in the closed container (also Licuale grandis), are by way of an experiment to simulate high humidity. These are also 5 months old and have been in the container since the start, never opened. I did however put some copper sulfate (a tiny bit) on the inside of the lid to counteract fungus and such. A closed container would otherwise inevitably lead to fungus and mold growth. None so far. The growing medium is hydroballs and reptibark.DSC_6817.thumb.jpg.eaef7714bd6ef9688ceca

DSC_6825.thumb.jpg.f00899528b58a7f78cbcf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 17/10/2016, 7:11:01, Monòver said:

Original greenhouse!!!

Be carefull, 80% humidity, low light and no air circulation, will be dangerous. The fungal disseases are happy in this conditions.

It will be better if you can buy a small PC fan for remove the air inside the greenhouse and open it, two times per day for change the air.

Is this an idea you have copied from me?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Is this an idea you have copied from me?

No, it is a "universal" idea ;). People that has small greenhouses, terrariums, etc. Use this small fans.

I have a greenhouse, but mine is bigger and my fan, of course, is bigger than a PC fan.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Monòver said:

No, it is a "universal" idea ;). People that has small greenhouses, terrariums, etc. Use this small fans.

I have a greenhouse, but mine is bigger and my fan, of course, is bigger than a PC fan.

The next step of the fan scale is a wc fan! So from P to W;)

Edited by Phoenikakias

17 hours ago, Monòver said:

... speaking of which^_^

This is a privately designed propagator (not in the market). It can serve also as a small greenhouse for intensive care.

IMG_20161029_133218.jpg

• Upvote 3

On Mon Oct 17 21:52:07, Pal Meir said:

Licualas etc. can grow healthily inside a normal living room (without humidifier or greenhouse):

58052b9781e5f_Licualagrandis2003-08-17.t

58052b9dd513d_Licualagrandis2007-09-26.t

From experience I have to agree with Pal. Plants with well developed and healthy root systems will have adequate tolerance of for example lower humidity levels than is seen in their habitats.

• Like 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 4 years later...
On 10/23/2016 at 12:58 PM, maxum2610 said:

Monover is right. I can vouch for Licuala at least. The guys in the green pot are Lucuala grandis, 5 months old, and sitting on a terace facing the sea (full wind and low humidity most of the time). They seem to be doing great. The ones in the closed container (also Licuale grandis), are by way of an experiment to simulate high humidity. These are also 5 months old and have been in the container since the start, never opened. I did however put some copper sulfate (a tiny bit) on the inside of the lid to counteract fungus and such. A closed container would otherwise inevitably lead to fungus and mold growth. None so far. The growing medium is hydroballs and reptibark.DSC_6817.thumb.jpg.eaef7714bd6ef9688ceca

DSC_6825.thumb.jpg.f00899528b58a7f78cbcf

I did the same experiment with a dying cordata seedling .It loved the high humidity level when I covered her with a plastic glass and it really seemed recovering,  The leaf what was folding sideways and in the humidity was opening up again.But it was not enough to save it. At the end I believe it was the root system not enough developed. It only had 1 tiny root while the sister's was well established. Something  to look for now in Licuala seedlings before repotting 

I have 4 cordata seedlings, 4 leaves each. These are some of my fastest growers. They are in very wet plain old potting soil at 14c in my greenhouse in the winter and seem to love it. They even push up new leaves during the winter. Mystery to me this one is. Thought this was a hyper tropical. Seems it loves cold and damp?