IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis multifida?

doranakandawatta

in http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/51292-into-borneo-with-the-unforgettable-2016-ips-pretour/ Cindy shows many lovely pictures of the National Orchid Garden and of SBG.

It seems to me this one can be a Rhapis, is it R. multifida? Where can I get seeds or seedlings?

DSCN9709.thumb.jpg.47a19398330b4eb55aa12

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I know we have on Palmtalk Forum at least one Rhapis expert, looking forward to seeing comments. :D

• Upvote 1

Philippe

I have Rhapis multifida 'Jade Empress'......... I have been told that 'Jade Empress' doesn't breed true from seed so divisions are the only way of obtaining the true form.

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

50 minutes ago, Tropicgardener said:

I have Rhapis multifida 'Jade Empress'......... I have been told that 'Jade Empress' doesn't breed true from seed so divisions are the only way of obtaining the true form.

Pics ? Thanks!

Suckers ? Many thanks!

Philippe

13 hours ago, Tropicgardener said:

How does 'Jade Empress' differ from other Rhapis multifida? 

The seeds I ordered were labeled Rhapis multifida 'Jade Empress'. Even if (unlike the last batch from a different supplier) they do germinate (fingers crossed), it will be a long while yet before they begin to look like any proper form of Rhapis. 

15 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

It seems to me this one can be a Rhapis, is it R. multifida? Where can I get seeds or seedlings?

DSCN9709.thumb.jpg.47a19398330b4eb55aa12

For seeds, I ordered mine from Seedman and will hopefully be able to announce in a few weeks' time that they were viable. ;) For seedlings, I only ever found one source in Europe but, sadly, he does not sell palms anymore.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nessie42 said:

How does 'Jade Empress' differ from other Rhapis multifida? 

The seeds I ordered were labeled Rhapis multifida 'Jade Empress'. Even if (unlike the last batch from a different supplier) they do germinate (fingers crossed), it will be a long while yet before they begin to look like any proper form of Rhapis. 

For seeds, I ordered mine from Seedman and will hopefully be able to announce in a few weeks' time that they were viable. ;) For seedlings, I only ever found one source in Europe but, sadly, he does not sell palms anymore.

'Jade Empress' is a form of Rhapis multifida........... I grew some from seed a number of years ago and they were quite variable. To ensure that you get the true 'Jade Empress' divisions are the best option.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

3 hours ago, Tropicgardener said:

'Jade Empress' is a form of Rhapis multifida........... I grew some from seed a number of years ago and they were quite variable. To ensure that you get the true 'Jade Empress' divisions are the best option.

I meant, what distinguishes Rhapis multifida 'Jade Empress' from other forms of Rhapis multifida. (I was trying to phrase the question more elegantly and ended up not phrasing it clearly, sorry :blush:)

I like my Rhapis excelsa but clearly R. multifida is gorgeous!

Thanks for the identification help too Philippe!

Cindy Adair

17 hours ago, Nessie42 said:

I meant, what distinguishes Rhapis multifida 'Jade Empress' from other forms of Rhapis multifida. (I was trying to phrase the question more elegantly and ended up not phrasing it clearly, sorry :blush:)

The top photo looks very much like 'Jade Empress'......... I have some seed grown ones as well and they are quite varied.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland