IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Matt - could it hit Florida ???

trioderob

It stayed 30 miles offshore of Cape Canaveral with Category 2 gusts butting up against the coast occasionally.  It's a win so far.  Hopefully, this thing slowly distances itself from the coast.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Looks like we were very blessed that the worst stayed offshore. There is damage but could have been a lot worse.  Already a lot of people are complaining about the weather service saying this was all hype, people just do not get it! They are the same people who would complain if the NHC said it would say offshore and then it actually went onshore. You just can't win!

• Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

20 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Looks like we were very blessed that the worst stayed offshore. There is damage but could have been a lot worse.  Already a lot of people are complaining about the weather service saying this was all hype, people just do not get it! They are the same people who would complain if the NHC said it would say offshore and then it actually went onshore. You just can't win!

I completely agree. Cocoa Beach probably will see widespread light damage from this, but had the track been 30 miles west it there would have been catastrophic damage. It is probably the difference of a couple hundred million in property damage vs several billion... the story isn't over yet but at least Brevard County seems to have gotten very lucky.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Checking in from the opposite coast, inland Naples. Just had slight wind and sprinkling of rain. :greenthumb:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎09‎:‎38‎, Palmaceae said:

Exactly!  Probably be the end of the raining season also.

Ture :crying:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

They recorded a gust of 107mph at Cape Canaveral in the past hour so there will be quite a bit of damage in coastal Brevard County I think. Certainly not nearly as bad as it could have been, but 107mph is going to leave a mark. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed...looks like Florida was spared.

What's maybe weird to some people not familiar with hurricanes is the fact that you can have catastropic damage at 100 + winds but only have minimal damage at lower wind speeds...and in a hurricane the really damaging winds usually don't extend out from the eye very far. Looking at the satellite they look huge ....but in reality the worst winds are usually in an area less than 60 square miles. ....this has stayed offshore for the most part.

Some people who decide to stay factor this into their decisions....that why when you have a Cat 1 or 2 storm many natives yawn and just hope the power doesn't go out. Cat 3,4and 5 usually gets a different reaction.....Florida has been relatively lucky with this storm.....but there will still be a lot of damage.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Stay Classy, Fox...

Edited by Funkthulhu
  • Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

We have family on the East coast of Florida and so have been following the weather coverage. Glad that for so many the eye stayed far enough from the coast to do minimal structural damage. Loss of power kind of to be expected. It still has a ways to go so hoping the best for all those still further north of it. 

BTW I found the CBS News app to be great coverage. Free app and no log in, live streaming, 24/7 news. The Live feed last night alternated coverage of CBS stations from Miami to Vero Beach while we were watching. Picks up new stations further north as the hurricane moves in that direction. If you are looking for current news coverage I'd suggest trying it out from your app store. I should also mention that when in Live Mode you'll see a timeline of stories that have recently run listed below the current video feed. You can scroll back through those and play them which I thought was really nice. No split screen support yet but overall really like the app and great to get tv coverage of the area our relatives were at.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

looks to me on radar that Daytona Beach is taking an eyewall hit as the storm has jogged west

Edited by trioderob

CBSNews said the eye was about 10 miles off coast area now south of Daytona so definitely closer to land than before. Bridges around Daytona are closed so if people didn't leave from the islands your stuck. Expected to arrive in Daytona soon. Also looks from the map that more of central Florida will be affected. I have friends in Jacksonville so still following the news. 

I always knew that Sabal palmetto performed excellently in hurricanes, but I've never actually seen how well until this storm. In the videos I've seen their trunks hardly flinch in 100+ mph winds while Coconuts and Washingtonias flail back and forth.

• Upvote 2

Best wishes there Todd ... from the few videos I've seen, and Governors pleas to flee the areas affected, personally I wouldn't think twice. Let's hope it diverts and heads on out to the Atlantic.

Cheers, Barrie.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Upvote 1

Just listened to Gov of Fla speak and he said there is flooding St. Johns and north thru Jacksonville. Concerned about surging throughtout the night. Some 1M people were without power throught the State and 400K have been restored and crews are working on it as soon as winds permit it. Camps have been set up to house the influx of repair crews coming in from all over and utilities are asked to share resources when possible. Also said some gas stations were out of gas but were being refilled as soon as reported. Said there was 5 days worth of gasoline should ports not have access. Saw footage of ocean water flooding a nearby town and wind damage to structures but no description of where was given. My friend in Jacksonville said he was 30 ft above sea level so thought he'd be okay himself. His power had flickered several times and then finally went out. Long night for many. 

Also heard the report of more than 800 dead in Haiti. 

I wish the best of luck to everyone who was effected by the storm. It is sad, the devastation that it has created. Rest in peace to all of the people who have died due to this storm. 

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, Laaz said:

A friend in Ormond-by-the-Sea, FL just posted some photo's of A1A in Flagler County...

xf2nnp.jpgb6dfew.jpg3128ltx.jpg

praying . . .

Blessed are the bored.

Amen!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We're in the middle of it now. Power has been out for hours. Curfew in place so won't be able to get a veiw until morning.

5 hours ago, Laaz said:

We're in the middle of it now. Power has been out for hours. Curfew in place so won't be able to get a veiw until morning.

Praying for you guys in the Carolina's. Matthew is weakening thank God.

• Upvote 1

150 ft oak tree down around the corner. Thank god it fell in the steet & not the neighbors house. We've been without power since 11 last night. Over 14 inches of rain. Rain has let up, but we're still getting 70+ mph gusts.

• Upvote 1

Did it technically make landfall in Florida? I thought the eye just barely nicked Cape Canaveral, but I don't know if it qualified as a landfall.

6 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Did it technically make landfall in Florida? I thought the eye just barely nicked Cape Canaveral, but I don't know if it qualified as a landfall.

I do not think it did, the first landfall in the US was in McClellanville, S.C.

I don't know how accurate Google Earth is with the weather feature turned on but according to Google Earth it's now a cat 1 heading directly at the Southport, Caswell Beach, Bald Head Island area of North Carolina. It's about 12 miles off shore.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Power is back up at my place. Did a ride out on our cable system yesterday, many utility poles snapped or down. Power & cable lines on the ground everywhere. It's going to be a while before we are back to normal.

• Upvote 1

Got power late last night, but only partial, AC and Dryer wouldn't work. Finally fixed it this morning about 11:30. Just now got internet. House is fine, yard is a mess, lots of clean up. Everything should recover.

• Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

11 minutes ago, NatureGirl said:

Got power late last night, but only partial, AC and Dryer wouldn't work. Finally fixed it this morning about 11:30. Just now got internet. House is fine, yard is a mess, lots of clean up. Everything should recover.

Great news.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

14 hours ago, NatureGirl said:

We finally got full power at 11:50 last night. We are excited to have stove and AC again :-) 

On 10/8/2016, 9:15:55, Laaz said:

20161008_080059.jpg

Timberrr!

Yike, but not as apocalyptic as you might think. I've seen trees four times that thick fall on houses and the houses survive (though they are damaged).

Glad you're safe.

That was a dicey business.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, trioderob said:

24 dead in US and billions in damage  - brutal hurricane 

Yes but I was afraid it would be much worst, as it is in Haiti.  

As natural disaster, hurricanes - or tsunami - can't be controled by humans; it reminds us how small we are.

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On 10/8/2016, 4:42:18, PalmTreeDude said:

Woah! 

Whoa! Is right!!! Glad there are no trees of that size near my home--yikes :-(