IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea X Syagrus 18 mos. Update

SailorBold

Here is an update on my Jubaea x Syagrus Hybrid that was planted in March 2015.  The palm is growing however I am not seeing explosive growth that I was expecting or have seen from others. So far so good though...  the trunk is very solid and this is mainly where I see most of the changes thus far.

Here is March 2015 right after planting..

jxsmarch.jpg

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

WOW thats some serious growth! I forgot you had this AWESOME palm.  BTW I use that same gravel for my cactus… here it comes in a tube, lol. 

15 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

What area of New Mexico are you in and what was the coldest temp that this palm saw last winter? 

I'm in central NM and last winter the low temp was around 14-15F  (closest weather station was 15F) and lots of freezes.  It was protected with a wall o water so guessing inside was in the 20's?

I havent tried a mule palm yet... so this is my first ever palm with any kind of Syagrus.  I am hoping it will be a hardier type.

Yea ...great growth...will be interesting the cold tolorance on these .... still...you should probably protect it until too big to protect.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I think you'll be more impressed with the growth now that it's established. My mules were good the first year but really took off the second and third.  Planted them as 2ft straps. And now at year 3 they are just shy of 9 ft. That syagrus half really puts them in high gear. Hopefully the same can be said when the other half is Jubaea instead of Butia. I'd guess yes.  Granted mine haven't seen below 29F

Edited by Duppy

Looking good! definitely growing faster than mine that's in its pot. I have 2 or 3 pinnate leaves but nothing like what you have. After another couple of years it should be fully established and probably too big to protect by then, so it will be interesting to see it's cold hardiness.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎06‎:‎47‎, Alicehunter2000 said:

Yea ...great growth...will be interesting the cold tolorance on these .... still...you should probably protect it until too big to protect.

Indeed.. it will definitely get tested at some point.. I plan on the same method this year.. the wall-o-water worked out great. Your palm is still in a pot? Hows it doing?

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎51‎:‎11‎, Duppy said:

I think you'll be more impressed with the growth now that it's established. My mules were good the first year but really took off the second and third.  Planted them as 2ft straps. And now at year 3 they are just shy of 9 ft. That syagrus half really puts them in high gear. Hopefully the same can be said when the other half is Jubaea instead of Butia. I'd guess yes.  Granted mine haven't seen below 29F

I hope so.. Your palms look amazing.  Do you plan on having an update thread soon?   I want to try a mule just to see how they would do with our dry cold but not quite ready for that yet, maybe next spring.  I just hope for Jubaea hardiness.. once we go below 10F all bets are off.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎02‎:‎17‎, smithgn said:

Looking good! definitely growing faster than mine that's in its pot. I have 2 or 3 pinnate leaves but nothing like what you have. After another couple of years it should be fully established and probably too big to protect by then, so it will be interesting to see it's cold hardiness.

Thanks.. the leaves just aren't super long yet like I have seen in others.. its still only a year and a half.. not sure what I am expecting!  I am mostly excited for my first Mule-type palm !      I am hoping its good to 8-10F      I realize that it most likely will not be a permanent palm but still want to see..

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎38‎:‎24‎, SailorBold said:

Thanks.. the leaves just aren't super long yet like I have seen in others.. its still only a year and a half.. not sure what I am expecting!  I am mostly excited for my first Mule-type palm !      I am hoping its good to 8-10F      I realize that it most likely will not be a permanent palm but still want to see..

Thats the fun in it. You really don't know what to expect! I kept one of my B x pjc's in mostly shade and partial sun and it developed the super long fronds. I put it back in a little more sun so it wouldn't get too "leggy". If yours is in full blazing sun that's probably why the fronds haven't elongated as much as others. I think if the palm has good genes, is healthy, happy and established, it can withstand solid 8A temps. At least, that's what I'd think for Mule palms. With our J x S it's anyones guess.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎34‎:‎08‎, SailorBold said:

I hope so.. Your palms look amazing.  Do you plan on having an update thread soon?   I want to try a mule just to see how they would do with our dry cold but not quite ready for that yet, maybe next spring.  I just hope for Jubaea hardiness.. once we go below 10F all bets are off.

I posted an update thread back in June, hell I'd post one every month if I didn't think I'd be accused of spamming the forums. :)  I did misspeak though, mine have been in the ground 2 years, not 3. Math is hard. So the Mules may be faster, BUT, It's Jubaea and I still think you've gotten some amazing growth, I want one very badly.  When I can get somebody with a wide angle lense to take a picture of my fat ass with the Mules to add some scale I'll post in this thread. 

Have a great one!

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...