IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms north of Virginia.

Mr.SamuraiSword

Maryland

2384337-a-few-palm-trees-on-the-beach-in

ocean-city-beach.jpg.4381ee32a6df30db7df

a Hardier palmetto007-8.thumb.jpg.fdc2e26fa6ac1b1971430632

and an even hardier Trachy

IMG_1524.jpg.512dea7d5a9b54435c505ca4765

even more palmettos and Fan Palms in centreville MD.  kinda like VA beach

3c20ea.jpg.d1b0cc128fed9fb51f6b029319673

Next is Delaware

A Palmetto near the border of MD 

BethanyPalmetto5Fall11.jpg.759252ed25936

and some trachys

RehobBBBackPalms.thumb.jpg.1b739137bedbc

New jersey

Queens, Cocos and Washingtonias on Long Branch beachP8012082.thumb.jpg.7af9be5e803615b851bcd

and some Sabals and more (small) Washingtonias

P7074955.jpg.c42579b1c7b21b7fc0cd3b249f3

and of course some trachys.

november52010006.jpg.2660261b1cd33994c8d

Next is New york

cocos from IWPT

4470509.jpg.2b79e1b293db79c9c25b4def88ac

and another trachya77815dfb0bcb81b2cbf73ad42e2a485.jpg.f04

Next is CT

Some queens in Waterford

13512150_10157039593390177_9051491009609

and some Trachys in Norwalk

IMG_4695.jpg.ac5027e7a37e4a6adb4c202877d

Next is Rhode island queens. No hardier palms here 

IMG_5261.thumb.JPG.3b9d8c6ce041cc6e1cf3b

Last, Mass

Some Bismarka Palms 

tlumacki_miami-reverebeach_metro237copy.

and another trachy 

IMG_0210.jpg.7be33bf6789766c390af615def9

Post your pics please!

RR_back_windmills.jpg

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The only palms that are not annuals up there are Sabal palmetto (could die in a colder winter), Windmill Palms, Needle Palms, and Sabal minor. The rest will not have a chance at all surviving the winter. But I think it is cool how they do that, but, at the same time a waste of money! Thank you for sharing.

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 4

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

Are you sure this one was taken in MD? 

I was wondering the same thing too after seeing the serenoa repens, but it is situated in a nice microclimate with the water just a few feet away. Or wait, is that water or just a grassy area? My eyes (or computer screen) are failing me lol

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Zeeth said:

In Centreville MD this was taken.  Crazy right?

8 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

This post is bordering on comical. But nice pics!

I can assure you those queens, and cocos and even the washies wont survive the winter.  But the usually truck them up in may, and truck them back to florida in october.  all over maryland and NJ they do this.  Ive even seen this in CT with the queens

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

The only palms that are not annuals up there are Sabal palmetto (could die in a colder winter), Windmill Palms, Needle Palms, and Sabal minor. The rest will not have a chance at all surviving the winter. But I think it is cool how they do that, but, at the same time a waste of money! Thank you for sharing.

Its a shame they use bismarkas thoigh.  those arent even beach palms nor are they hardy!  At least Palmettos would look more beachy and would be cheaper to replace

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

In Centreville MD this was taken.  Crazy right?

I don't believe it. There's Roystonea regia, a large clump of Acoelorrhaphe and bromeliads (Neoregelia maybe?) in the background, the Sabal palmetto look relatively established. No one's trucking up large clumps of Acoelorrhaphe up to MD to have it die a few months later. This is somewhere in Florida. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 9/12/2016, 12:28:26, Las Palmas Norte said:

You're all wrong. I believe these pics where taken in southern Alaska. ;)

Cheers, Barrie. 

Hey! Some of the western islands of Alaska are zone 8b... But I bet they get killed with wind.

PalmTreeDude

On September 11, 2016 at 9:38:00 PM, Zeeth said:

That photo is definitely not anywhere  in Maryland.    Those are mature palms, and as has been pointed out there ate a bunch of mature Roystonea regia  palms along that street. There are so many other types of subtropical plants in that photo that there just is no way that is anywhere north of Florida.   Sorry.    The other Maryland pics I believe. The palms are small and used as annuals in touristy places like OC.   I'm from DC and have lived in MD. I grew up in Bowie.   I now live in northern VA for 17 years.  Some restaurants here truck in large queens and even cocos, but they let them just die every year.   Shame.  

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2016, 9:38:00, Zeeth said:

When I looked at the source ("Kelley MacDonald C 2010"), I noticed some links to Marco Island, FL, which is probably where this photo was actually taken. I will not dispute the other photos though.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2018, 8:33:08, Palmsbro said:

When I looked at the source ("Kelley MacDonald C 2010"), I noticed some links to Marco Island, FL, which is probably where this photo was actually taken. I will not dispute the other photos though.

I origionally found these on daves garden which said they were in centreville maryland.  Hilarious that I didnt do any research.  Of course at that time I thought those windmills in Norwalk were unprotected and that i could plant my windmill unprotected in CT.  They died a few years back when a new owner didnt protect them.  Ive come a long way in this hobby.

On 9/11/2016, 9:38:00, Zeeth said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Those look too good.  Are those large Roystonea in the distance?

Reading the whole thread answered my question!

Edited by palmsOrl

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Palmlover. said:

Are you sure about cocos?

Anything north of MD that is not a needle palm, sabal minor, or trachycarpus, are all planted as annuals.  They will simply not survive.  Even in Virginia Beach, VA, the only reliable palms there are the 3 I just mentioned, plus Sabal Palmetto (away from immediate coast) and Butia Capitata.     Anything else are planted as annuals and either left to die in winter, or are rented and housed in large greenhouses in winter. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 10:09 PM, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Some restaurants here truck in large queens and even cocos, but they let them just die every year.   Shame.  

I know right I hate that get a hardy palm thats what I tell them

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2020 at 8:26 AM, climate change virginia said:

I know right I hate that get a hardy palm thats what I tell them

Those people do not really care about palms, they're mostly trying to attract tourists.

Nothing to say here.