IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AAAAA - Get Ready For The Winter!

PalmTreeDude

Who is ready for the winter? I am not, especially not in Virginia! But it is a great opportunity to collect freeze data, like every winter. If you protect palms, what palms are you protecting this winter and how?

PalmTreeDude

Most of us can't really answer that question until we see how the winter is going to be. If this winter is like last in Florida pretty much no one will need to protect anything. If it is like 2010 (or worse) there will be a lot time spent wrapping palms in xmas lights and burlap... You get about 1 week's warning before a big freeze so none of us have any idea in September. 

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

On a weather blog I follow, someone said the pattern that's looking to set up this winter in the CONUS is the same as one of the early 80's winters (I think they said '83-'84) which had bad cold in FL. Not sure how certain that statement was, and I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but a winter like that would definitely would be serious for all our beloved marginals.

I have to admit, I sometimes find it exciting when there is a big cold outbreak (or especially when we have winter precip up here in North FL) but of course is terrible for our tender stuff. That is why my dream yard would be to have a backbone of hardy palms/trees that could survive temps into teens, and then an easily implemented protection plan for the more tender ones such that I'm not throwing old blankets held together with bungee cords at the last minute only to blow off in the wind.

6 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

On a weather blog I follow, someone said the pattern that's looking to set up this winter in the CONUS is the same as one of the early 80's winters (I think they said '83-'84) which had bad cold in FL. Not sure how certain that statement was, and I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but a winter like that would definitely would be serious for all our beloved marginals.

I have to admit, I sometimes find it exciting when there is a big cold outbreak (or especially when we have winter precip up here in North FL) but of course is terrible for our tender stuff. That is why my dream yard would be to have a backbone of hardy palms/trees that could survive temps into teens, and then an easily implemented protection plan for the more tender ones such that I'm not throwing old blankets held together with bungee cords at the last minute only to blow off in the wind.

I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. An 80s type freeze might mean an 8b winter here would really change the landscape... If it did happen it would be interesting from a scientific standpoint at least. 100% of my palms would probably die, but maybe the B. alfredii or K. oliviformis or something else would turn out to be surprisingly tough. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

This topic would have been better suited for the weather/climate subforum. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I planted a 15 gallon Needle (one main plant and 2 pups) and a 10 gallon sabal minor this spring and a smaller trachy from a big box store two summers ago.  Heavy clay in Olney MD zone 7a.  For the trachy I have a " silo" (pictured) with frost cloth surrounding wire and a plastic covering the top.  Also a string of Christmas lights.  I put the silo over the trachy when there is predicted 1) heavy winds 2) rain that will be followed by subfreezing temps, or 3) temps below 10F, in which case the lights also get turned on for a bit of extra heat.  3 to 4 inches of hardwood much, and 6 inches of leaf litter/pine straw outside the Christmas lights (not in picture)   This worked last year.  The two larger palms got the same hardwood mulch and about a foot of leaves and straw, with all fronds pulled above the leaves.  I built wind surround out of same wire and frost cloth as pictured, but no top.   Don't know if I will try to cover them somehow if we get rain followed by very cold temps.

Potted Chinese Fan Palms, Mediterranean Fan palm and Butia Capitata sit on south side of house in full sun and get rolled into the garage when nightime low is below 25, or high winds or freezing rain.  (Will probably plant chines fans and grow as dieback perenials next year.IMG_1248.jpg.5a1c1ff41fbc501021c7e051ac7