IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

And now my 8th L insigne is ready for emigration on Saturday and saying goodbye: :(

5979cd4a656fc_N14022017-07-27P1030908.th

Who is the lucky reciever ;) ?

im not sure what I'm doing wrong none of my seedlings doing well and not growing anymore :( 

20 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

im not sure what I'm doing wrong none of my seedlings doing well and not growing anymore :( 

Mohsen, 

(1) take a photo of your Lyto seedlings (= the so called hybrids?);

(2) remove one (or all) from the soil;

(3) take a photo of the seedling(s) with bare roots;

(4) take a photo of the removed soil;

(5) protect the bare rooted seedling(s) against drying (in a moist vinyl bag or so);

(6) wait for the diagnosis of Dr Meir. B)

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 7/28/2017, 12:27:02, Pal Meir said:

Mohsen, 

(1) take a photo of your Lyto seedlings (= the so called hybrids?);

(2) remove one (or all) from the soil;

(3) take a photo of the seedling(s) with bare roots;

(4) take a photo of the removed soil;

(5) protect the bare rooted seedling(s) against drying (in a moist vinyl bag or so);

(6) wait for the diagnosis of Dr Meir. B)

Sorry Pal, I have been very busy lately...

first picture is the 2 ones look happier but not growing ( or at least I cant tell) :

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.68a908f8e700d5d625e36

This one is the twin one :

IMG_0662.thumb.JPG.109f4367360e01b1477e3

IMG_0663.thumb.JPG.c12e51c1794ceb5805ba2

IMG_0664.thumb.JPG.7bc254d8aa930f633051a

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.b0e42665532ebae9185d5

IMG_0667.thumb.JPG.757fdbcfa49d49f58803b

This one is another one , the 2nd worst after the twins:

IMG_0672.thumb.JPG.7ed9e7ce8457ffda32c32

IMG_0673.thumb.JPG.1769756fd7331ad0f5406

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.3692c9ac664b2a274c153

IMG_0677.thumb.JPG.aa2570defeedb3eb6b745

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.7cd09c37eb7297d56eca3

the soil is 40% Seramis + 60% premium potting mix and I didn't notice any wetness in them...

they are in the shade house ( small green house) outside...could see low to 4-5c but not colder

waiting for the diagnosis Dr Meir ;) 

@Mohsen, at first the good news: Your seedlings seem to be L insigne or a hybrid which has the habit of L insigne; they are definitely not L weddellianum. — What is the size of the plastic pots the seedlings are/were potted in?

And now the diagnosis by Dr Meir: B)

(1) The pots are too large; the ideal size would have been 8x8xH9 cm as on the old pics of my seedlings.

(2) The drainage of the soil mix is too slow; if you had used much smaller pots it might have been sufficient. :unsure:

(3) One of the twins is dead. :crying:

What to do now: :greenthumb:

(4) Let the soil of the two healthier seedlings get relatively dry before next watering; later you should repot these two also in smaller pots with a much better draining soil mix.

(5) Add to the un-potted soil mix small LECA pebbles (c. 20%).

(6) Look for smaller plastic pots, c. Ø9xH9 cm.

(7) Repot the two seedlings in those small plastic pots using the old soil, mixed carefully with c. 20% LECA.

(8) Water the potted seedlings with lots of water; don’t let them stand in water (no wet feet).

(9) As you have now winter in OZ put ALL the L insigne seedlings inside your house and stand them on a window sill (facing south or protected against too much direct sun). 

(10) Mark the growing point of the leaves with a permanent marker.

(11) Later you have too repot the two healthier (not healthy!) seedlings too in smaller pots, but wait now. :mellow:

And good luck!

Dr Meir :innocent:

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2017, 7:21:54, Pal Meir said:

@Mohsen, at first the good news: Your seedlings seem to be L insigne or a hybrid which has the habit of L insigne; they are definitely not L weddellianum. — What is the size of the plastic pots the seedlings are/were potted in?

And now the diagnosis by Dr Meir: B)

(1) The pots are too large; the ideal size would have been 8x8xH9 cm as on the old pics of my seedlings.

(2) The drainage of the soil mix is too slow; if you had used much smaller pots it might have been sufficient. :unsure:

(3) One of the twins is dead. :crying:

What to do now: :greenthumb:

(4) Let the soil of the two healthier seedlings get relatively dry before next watering; later you should repot these two also in smaller pots with a much better draining soil mix.

(5) Add to the un-potted soil mix small LECA pebbles (c. 20%).

(6) Look for smaller plastic pots, c. Ø9xH9 cm.

(7) Repot the two seedlings in those small plastic pots using the old soil, mixed carefully with c. 20% LECA.

(8) Water the potted seedlings with lots of water; don’t let them stand in water (no wet feet).

(9) As you have now winter in OZ put ALL the L insigne seedlings inside your house and stand them on a window sill (facing south or protected against too much direct sun). 

(10) Mark the growing point of the leaves with a permanent marker.

(11) Later you have too repot the two healthier (not healthy!) seedlings too in smaller pots, but wait now. :mellow:

And good luck!

Dr Meir :innocent:

Thanks Pal

I need to find smaller pots and also I need measure Leca I have,

But the soil didn't look wet , could cold be the main reason ? already bring one inside as I dont have room for all at the moment :( 

4 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal

I need to find smaller pots and also I need measure Leca I have,

But the soil didn't look wet , could cold be the main reason ? already bring one inside as I dont have room for all at the moment :( 

The "premium potting mix" is the problem. So be careful with watering your two healthier seedlings and leave them where and as they are now. — Protect the roots of the two un-potted seedlings against drying out. — If the LECA is too coarse so crush it in smaller pieces.

On 27/07/2017, 15:05:54, Mohsen said:

That would be me!!! :)  I'll do a post this weekend with pics :)

• Upvote 2

On 08/07/2017, 17:38:00, Pal Meir said:

@Jamesasb N°1402 now unfolding its 13th frond (of 14) is waiting for emigration, too:

59610a369a37b_N14022017-07-08P1030802.th

On 08/07/2017, 17:38:00, Pal Meir said:

@Jamesasb N°1402 now unfolding its 13th frond (of 14) is waiting for emigration, too:

On 27/07/2017, 15:05:54, Mohsen said:

On 09/07/2017, 10:48:53, Jamesasb said:

On 09/07/2017, 13:48:43, Pal Meir said:

Edited by Jamesasb
for some reason it wont upload a picture, i'm having problems with the website today for some reason, will attempt again tomorrow

59904be9e15d0_linsigne.thumb.jpg.e29ed5c1402 in its new home, slight discoloration of the edge of the lowest leaf ..

Edited by Jamesasb
  • Upvote 3

On 16/08/2017, 12:06:27, Bananengeknl said:

:wub:

20170816_123307_zpsimokw7xm.jpg

beautiful, how will you protect this for winter and how long has it been in the ground for?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.3.2017, 21:13:13, caixeta said:

Only today I completed my Lytocaryum collection , I won a Lytocaryum insigne from a great friend ,there goes the photos.58cc413b86a0d_Lytocaryuminsigne001.thumb

@caixeta It looks to me like my N°1401 is now not smaller (or even larger?) than your new acquisition was when you got it; could you post an update of your baby?

59b5550148354_N14012017-09-10P1040050.th

59b55509a84ff_N14012017-09-10P1040055.th

59b55512e64fc_N14012017-09-10P1040058.th

And here on the balcony, exposed to fairly strong autumn storms:

59b555e67a4df_N14012017-09-10P1040048.th

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I bought mine inside last week and it started growing very quickly again.  

should we expect these to maybe,maybe flower in 2019? also how many  leaves should they be holding?

I ask because it seems 7 is the limit before it aborts the oldest leaf for me. i wonder how to make it hold more leaves?

One of my palms is forming two spathes.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Yes, I posted some pics in a thread "Are this two palms of the same species?" ...or something like that...

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my sunburned insigne. It's recovering very well and has grown quite a bit since I took this picture.

20180202_172124.thumb.jpg.c19df5e355e952

I will be extra carefull with selecting a less full sun location for it in my garden in summer. I also plan to repot it into a much wider and heavier clay pot for more stability during windy days.

I will try to make a picture of all 4 of my insignes. 2 of which originated from Pal Meir and the 2 others were sown by myself. It took me very long to find out that these plants didn't like the commonly used organic soil that I used back then and they have been on the edge of dying. Now finally healthy growth has returned but the setback they got is enormous. For comparison, I believe the seeds that I germinated were from the same batch as Pals seeds and if not, their germination dates are not very far apart... Picture coming up...

• Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Here it is...

20180202_185441.thumb.jpg.93b3b02ef28c01

Quite a difference a setback makes. My small plants have made unhealthy yellowish leaves for a long time after repotting them into the seramis mix. But patience was rewarded and now healthy little leaves start appearing and growth is excellerating. I think I'm finally getting the hang of these insignes.

• Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jamesasb said:

oh no was it the weight of the snow that snapped them or the cold that burned them?

It was the ice cold water which filled the pot for a too long time. I didn’t notice that the rain was blown by strong winds also inside the protected loggia …… :sick:

48 minutes ago, Jamesasb said:

how low would you estimate the temperature that it saw? 

Maybe +2°C to about 0°C, but the problem was the excess of too cold water in the pot. The tips of the leaflets wilted because of root problems, not of low temps.