IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

need suggestion for chosing one or two potted palms?

Mohsen

I have this area in front of our house...the ground is a big almost flat rock so no way I can plant something in the ground...

I am thinking of planting one or two good size palms in big pots  and place them there...

I am thinking of one of or both Howea as attached , one Howea forsteriana and one Howea Belmoreana... but if there is other suggestion I might consider...

I need to keep them there almost forever so I need to chose the types wisely...it will get some full sun during some hours of days...

then I need to think of choosing right pot or barrel ...

Thanks for any inputs

Mohsen

IMG_7264.JPG

IMG_7238.thumb.JPG.3b3e0402cf04ff0c635a47803a3e64a1.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I would choose both Howeas :greenthumb:; the H. belmoreana needs a faster draining soil mix.

Thanks Pal

how should I choose the right size of pot... Should I choose the biggest and final size I want to place there or I need to choose smaller and pot up in future?

Thanks Pal for the advice

also I have another location which is at the border of us with our neighbor...

we also had this Raised Garden Bed for growing vegetable by my wife which never happened ;)

I am thinking to move this to the border line and then plant the Howea Belmoreana there and after a while the root should be able to go deeper to the ground from the open bottom of it...

Is it a good plan for a long time?

the size of the Raised Garden Bed is 140X35x60 cm ( height 35)...

IMG_7288.JPG

1.png

2.png

2.png

13 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

pal, how about this wooden pot?

a bit expensive though but seems good?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuscan-path-55cm-half-barrel-wooden-planter_p2890294

Looking good! The price is normal, they are not cheap if the wood is water resistent.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

1 minute ago, Pal Meir said:

Looking good! The price is normal, they are not cheap if the wood is water resistent.

Thanks Pal

Probably I will keep the Kentia in this pot and plant the belmoreana in ground...

what should I use as soil for this wooden pot? is normal premium potting mix good enough?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/osmocote-professional-25l-premium-plus-potting-mix_p2962100

On 25 July 2016 at 11:42:04 PM, Pal Meir said:

@Pal Meir, pal

got the kentia and will get the pot tomorrow , can I use the premium potting mix alone , any good if I also mix some Seramis bag as well?

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

@Pal Meir, pal

got the kentia and will get the pot tomorrow , can I use the premium potting mix alone , any good if I also mix some Seramis bag as well?

I don’t know the composition of the premium potting mix, but I would mix it with (maybe 1/4?) Seramis, so that the new mix can’t get soggy even if watered too much.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

But why don’t you use the soil of your garden? Mix it with some Seramis, perhaps also some premium mix, and as substrate on the bottom of the container up to 2cm LECA?

Thanks Pal

1-i am not confident enough about our garden soil , but I have few bags of Premium garden soil if you see any benefit using that,

2- I need to get the Leca from hydronic store...but I think there is only one big circular hole at the bottom of the pot... Is it wise to drill some more small ones to improve the drainage ?

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal

1-i am not confident enough about our garden soil , but I have few bags of Premium garden soil if you see any benefit using that,

2- I need to get the Leca from hydronic store...but I think there is only one big circular hole at the bottom of the pot... Is it wise to drill some more small ones to improve the drainage ?

1) But you plant other palms (e.g. H belmoreana) in that ground …?

2) Don’t drill more holes, but put a layer of LECA or pebbles on the bottom for good drainage.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

1) But you plant other palms (e.g. H belmoreana) in that ground …?

2) Don’t drill more holes, but put a layer of LECA or pebbles on the bottom for good drainage.

Thanks Pal

I am also using compost and bought garden soil to mix with existing garden soil

BTW, the nersry manager said if I want to continue keeping it in pot I need to water it every day!? Isn't that too much? Specially in winter?

2 hours ago, Mohsen said:

BTW, the nersry manager said if I want to continue keeping it in pot I need to water it every day!? Isn't that too much? Specially in winter?

It depends on the size of the container and on the mixture of your soil, but as a rule it is correct (my potted CIDP got 10 litres or more per day; during the German winter less.). Even when it rains it may happen that the palm does not get enough water. You have to watch your palm and look if it is happy. And if you have a good draining soil you can’t overwater it, I think.

• Upvote 1