IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filifera Update 3.5 years old

SailorBold

here are the small ones one year later. They were found under some large pure filiferas in spain. Im not sure if they are pure since there were robustas around. The petioles are nearly thornless.

D2195F1D-5D36-428D-9BD5-8F262AC5F9F0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

• 10 months later...

and one year later. The fronds are getting more costapalmate and the overall look is filiferous. They were not proctected against winterrains.

9AD6D8CF-F681-44CA-BED9-D40B04F2D67E.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 2

and another one from the seeds i found under large filiferas a couple of years ago. This is promising as i think it looks quite pure.

CE869673-BDEF-4718-BA55-7E458FF9A480.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

These are young trees that grew from seeds of true filifera. The seed source is the same as my plants. What do you say, true or hybrid? 

D478A7DC-3CA8-4DAC-9E5F-BBD15539A182.jpeg

• Upvote 1

The younger ones look like pure Filifera's. You probably won't know for sure for another few years though. They could be hybrids, but you won't know until they start trunking more. Obviously the shape of the trunk, and how skinny it is, will be the main giveaway in the years to come. I reckon it will stay fat and compact though, like a Filifera.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

An update on the filifera i planted in 2016. Its developing crazy long near toothless petioles.

82A2D8D3-A830-4774-A96E-876D3638E831.jpeg

Mine is doing that too.. well.. the petioles are long but the spines are becoming less and less. Nowhere near spineless.. but here is a pic.. anytime i trim it tho.. geesh.. I end up losing some amount of blood. Lol

20190914_153414.jpg

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

9 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Update!  Trunks are getting bigger..still going strong... after being knocked back last winter..

20190914_152142.jpg

Are these all new 2019 fronds? It looks great

On 9/14/2019 at 4:25 PM, Axel Amsterdam said:

An update on the filifera i planted in 2016. Its developing crazy long near toothless petioles.

That's because it appears to be in heavy shade. These need full sun, especially in your latitude or will stretch out like that.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 12:12 AM, Axel Amsterdam said:

Are these all new 2019 fronds? It looks great

Yes.. everything was trimmed off.. even though some of the petioles stayed green through the winter. Almost 100% recovery.. but should be growing pretty strong for the next 2-3 months. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/27/2016 at 5:18 PM, Axel Amsterdam said:

I picked this one from under a group of true filifera's in Spain. The one next to it is grown from seed. They were purple brown before but that completely disappeared after planting out. The fronds are deeply cut, but i think slightly less deep than the filifera's shown above. 

IMG_20160727_102237.jpg

4 years later in Amsterdam, my filifera’s are doing fine. No issues with winter humidity whatsoever.

F7FFA325-7E07-440C-BE12-687227D5CDF4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

I love to see some updates on the filifera’s in the southeast. A true inspiration for me. 

The southeast of where? I am assuming you are referring to England, right? Rather than the southeast of Holland or USA?

The Filifera's seem right at home here with the 2.5 inches of rainfall that we've had since March 1st. And the 95-100F temperatures which are continuing well into next week. It's very dry and warm these days from April-October. The Filifera seem to thrive here, as they do for you in Amsterdam. They seem to laugh at our winters as well and just shrug them off.

• Upvote 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Thats great to hear UK palms.

I was actually referring to the south east of the USA though as most of the palms in this thread are from that region. 

Edited by Axel Amsterdam

9 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Thats great to hear UK palms.

I was actually referring to the south east of the USA though as most of the palms in this thread are from that region. 

Sorry pal. I see most of this thread is about Filifera is Texas and New Mexico though, in which case that would just be the south, not the southeast. 

That's why I thought you may have been referring to the ones in England, since I was of the assumption that Filifera doesn't grow very well in the 'southeast' of the USA? Like due to the humidity and very high rainfall? Correct me if wrong though. I thought it was mostly Robusta's that they grow in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina etc. 

Here are my 3 palms.. now at 7 1/2 years old.  Overall I think they are approaching 12-14 feet at the tallest leaves.  They were also hurricane cut by my landscaper in early June, sadly. They are still growing back from that... otherwise they would be much fuller.  Im praying the triplet idea is gonna work..

20200812_191357.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Here are my 3 palms.. now at 7 1/2 years old.  Overall I think they are approaching 12-14 feet at the tallest leaves.  They were also hurricane cut by my landscaper in early June, sadly. They are still growing back from that... otherwise they would be much fuller.  Im praying the triplet idea is gonna work..

20200812_191357.jpg

absolutely great triplet!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Swolte said:

Neej, dit is in Amsterdam?!

Yes, but it's not a usual sight around here of course. Trachies and chamaerops are fairly normal garden plants, but washingtonia robusta or filibusta are killed everything 3rd winter in general. That's why I am hopeful that filifera will perform better. As small plants they already withstood -6/-7C during our long winters with great amounts of rain. I have 2 brahea armata that seem equally hardy and don't mind the winter rains. I never protect the fronds. 

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 3

On 8/12/2020 at 9:24 PM, SailorBold said:

20200812_191357.jpg

Wow looking amazing. i thought these palms would be long gone by now, but they are doing great. A bit more spesifically where in New Mexico do you live? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, Axel Amsterdam said:

absolutely great triplet!

Thanks Axel..  These palms are most likely some of the only true Filiferas in my town.. I have seen other "filiferas" in the area that prolly came from home depot etc.. and they are hybrids.  Im exicted to finally have one.. now that i learned the differences... if your palms can handle the rainfall you have.. then you are good to go- temp wise..

22 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Wow looking amazing. i thought these palms would be long gone by now, but they are doing great. A bit more spesifically where in New Mexico do you live? 

Hi Palmfarmer..  Thank you...I live in the Albuquerque area..basically on the westside of the city itself in a city named Rio Rancho.... and they are growing at roughly 5300' asl... our winters will definitely put them to the test!    We are considered high desert so pretty dry.. and gets very cold at night in the winter.  I have high hopes for these trees..as I stated above.. most of the filiferas around here are filifera x robustas to some degree.

Edited by SailorBold
add
  • Like 1

These are the palms that I picked up seeds from in Spain. I always assumed these are true Filifera.

The only thing that leaves me in doubt is that the fronds are not that deeply cut as the Filifera's in habitat. Also the pictures by Sailorbold and Texascoldhardypalms show fronds more deeply cut than these.   

What do you think? Are these filifera fronds different because of a different climate or hybrids after all?

Foto 19-08-20 om 10.24.jpg

@Axel Amsterdam They definitely look a lot like Filifera, as do the offspring. But they could well be hybrid Filibusta’s, which most are these days. More than likely Filifera dominant hybrids in my opinion.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

There are about a dozen of these in close proximity all showing the same type fronds, hybrids probably would differ more between individuals. They are really old trees too. 

But still I'd love to hear from members in the US if they think these fronds could be pure filifera. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 10:34 AM, Axel Amsterdam said:

There are about a dozen of these in close proximity all showing the same type fronds, hybrids probably would differ more between individuals. They are really old trees too. 

But still I'd love to hear from members in the US if they think these fronds could be pure filifera. 

They look like Filifera to me... where exactly are these located??  I think the petiole length looks like pure filifera and the trunks look that way too.  My filifera isnt pleating leaves yet... but those look like mature filifera leaves also.

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

They look like Filifera to me... where exactly are these located??  I think the petiole length looks like pure filifera and the trunks look that way too.  My filifera isnt pleating leaves yet... but those look like mature filifera leaves also.

I agree, looks like pure Filifera to me.

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Thank you both, the filifera's are located in a small coastal town just below Barcelona Spain.

There are around a dozen of those, very similar looking, planted in front of the hotel and in the hotelgarden. 

https://goo.gl/maps/mLnSKhUoDSZfAPGL6

Edited by Axel Amsterdam

• 1 month later...

Axel Amsterdam Filiferas in Europe differ from those in USA-California, Nevada, etc. Washington Filiferas in US grows in natural desert conditions, i.e. dry air and sun all year round, therefore they have more leaves, leaves are cut deeper, have shorter petioles and very thick trunks . In Europe, we have less sun and high air humidity, so the filifera looks a bit different - long petioles, more massive and less chopped leaves and thinner trunks. There are also fewer leaves

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...