IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filifera Update 3.5 years old

SailorBold

Wow they look great. like the style of the house as well. Looks like a Andalucian house, but with a flat roof. 

What is the coldest they have endured? 

Edited by Palmfarmer

On 12/9/2020 at 8:09 AM, Palmfarmer said:

Wow they look great. like the style of the house as well. Looks like a Andalucian house, but with a flat roof. 

Thank you..  still seeing how well they are gonna do.. overall I'm pleased- just worried at how big they are gonna get.  The lowest they have seen is 8.6f and 9f on two occasions during the winter of 2018... based from my weather underground weather station.

The house is ~ 50 years old...  I think it was marketed as a territorial... with the local Spanish influence.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 5:32 AM, Darek said:

Axel Amsterdam Filiferas in Europe differ from those in USA-California, Nevada, etc. Washington Filiferas in US grows in natural desert conditions, i.e. dry air and sun all year round, therefore they have more leaves, leaves are cut deeper, have shorter petioles and very thick trunks . In Europe, we have less sun and high air humidity, so the filifera looks a bit different - long petioles, more massive and less chopped leaves and thinner trunks. There are also fewer leaves

You mean the ones growing in Holland? big parts of Italy or Spain lets say are pretty close to their native climate and has just as much sunlight

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Here is an update.... 8 years from strap leaf..  ill add another pic when I trim them up and do a yard cleanup for winter.. I think I need to up the water..

20211019_110313.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Here is an update.... 8 years from strap leaf..  ill add another pic when I trim them up and do a yard cleanup for winter.. I think I need to up the water..

To say I am jealous is an understatement.  Nice filifera!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 12/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, Palmfarmer said:

These are filifera growing in Sonora, Texas. It’s a drier climate than East Texas but would have seen wet conditions during our February 2021 storm. I looked it up and Sonora went through 2 nights of 0*F(-17.8*C) and 7*F(-13.9*C )a few days later.

A494E164-211E-480F-8BE0-94D5001E1B80.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

On 10/19/2021 at 7:25 PM, SailorBold said:

20211019_110313.jpg

Fantastic monsters Sailor. What's the large cactus in front?

• Like 1

Sailorbold,

And then.......they just kind of exploded!

P.s. you may be a Trachy grandpa! Got some nice seeds going.(-10f survivor)

Edited by jwitt
Addition
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 2:49 AM, Meangreen94z said:

These are filifera growing in Sonora, Texas. It’s a drier climate than East Texas but would have seen wet conditions during our February 2021 storm. I looked it up and Sonora went through 2 nights of 0*F(-17.8*C) and 7*F(-13.9*C )a few days later.

That is crazy hardy. Is Armata as hardy in dry climate?

Wow your palms has exploded @SailorBold great work!

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 1:49 AM, Meangreen94z said:

Nice... definitely hardier than given credit for..  although Sonora is definitely a warmer growing zone Im guessing... 8b?  This is where our elevation 'helps' with those types of freezes.. I was down to 9-10f.. Im pretty sure parts of Albuquerque were colder.. to 7f... with 1 day below freezing.  I hope we get a warm winter!

On 10/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, Palmfarmer said:

That is crazy hardy. Is Armata as hardy in dry climate?

Wow your palms has exploded @SailorBold great work!

Thank you.. near complete defoliation from last winter..

On 10/21/2021 at 6:43 AM, Axel Amsterdam said:

Fantastic monsters Sailor. What's the large cactus in front?

TY Axel!  Thats the Argentine Saguaro.. Echinopsis tersheckii...  another marginal plant for my zone.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:52 PM, jwitt said:

Sailorbold,

And then.......they just kind of exploded!

P.s. you may be a Trachy grandpa! Got some nice seeds going.(-10f survivor)

Thanks JWitt... The trunks are getting pretty big so are the leaves too..    Id love some trachy seedlings.. Im still working on my rain barrel system but thats the main reason im adding those... and will be pretty nice in a shaded area off my patio..    I still have seeds of the TorC filiferas if you are interested...  there may be 200 seedlings sprouting soon...carefully planted... somewhere..... out there...   :)   Although seedlings may be the way to go....

20211014_122014.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
Photo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Thanks JWitt... The trunks are getting pretty big so are the leaves too..    Id love some trachy seedlings.. Im still working on my rain barrel system but thats the main reason im adding those... and will be pretty nice in a shaded area off my patio..    I still have seeds of the TorC filiferas if you are interested...  there may be 200 seedlings sprouting soon...carefully planted... somewhere..... out there...   :)   Although seedlings may be the way to go....

20211014_122014.jpg

Did you plant seeds throughout TorC?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, Axel Amsterdam said:

absolutely great triplet!

I seen your pics and just though you were in Spain judging by the house and cactus but thought it kinda looks like certain spots on the west side of Albuquerque and I just now after days noticed you were in New Mexico. When I lived in Albuquerque I was always palm tree hunting!

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, SailorBold said:

20211019_110313.jpg

Its amazing to me the difference a dry climate vs a humid climate can make. I'm 7b, only miles from 8a. But I couldn't grow this. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:03 AM, Jtee said:

Did you plant seeds throughout TorC?

No no...the seeds came from the TorC filiferas...  to date these are the most leaf hardy Filiferas I have ever seen... They kind of sent me on a quest of understanding the hybridizations of washingtonias.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, knikfar said:

Its amazing to me the difference a dry climate vs a humid climate can make. I'm 7b, only miles from 8a. But I couldn't grow this. 

They are barely hardy here really...  while they do grow long term you wont see robusta survive long term.  Still marginal... I can make the same argument for palms in your area! 

I can only dream about planting something and not have to water it like ever..

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 3:43 AM, Palmfarmer said:

@SailorBold Do you mind sharing more of your palm species? Do you have Parajubea? is your Trachycarpus fast? 

Havent tried Parajubaea...dont have any trachies yet either..  I have these Washingtonias... Chamerops Humilis.. Both varieties.. a Jubaea hybrid... a Butia hybrid... a couple needle palms, Sabal uresana and a Brahea armata...

7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Havent tried Parajubaea...dont have any trachies yet either..  I have these Washingtonias... Chamerops Humilis.. Both varieties.. a Jubaea hybrid... a Butia hybrid... a couple needle palms, Sabal uresana and a Brahea armata...

How has the uresana done in Albuquerque? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jtee said:

How has the uresana done in Albuquerque? 

I'll have an update this week.. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, SailorBold said:

They are barely hardy here really...  while they do grow long term you wont see robusta survive long term.  Still marginal... I can make the same argument for palms in your area! 

I can only dream about planting something and not have to water it like ever..

Oh believe me, we have to water. We get almost no rain between June and October, unless a tropical storm comes through. It's a battle dragging the hose around my yard to make sure everything is happy. The combination of heat and no rain is brutal on plants. I often say Raleigh has the winters of Seattle with the summers of Dubai. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, SailorBold said:

I still have seeds of the TorC filiferas if you are interested... 

If you can spare some, I'd be glad to get a few.  I'm from NM but live in Oregon now.  Looking at possible purchase of acreage in TorC or possibly Caballo in the future.  I miss the desert.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

If you can spare some, I'd be glad to get a few.  I'm from NM but live in Oregon now.  Looking at possible purchase of acreage in TorC or possibly Caballo in the future.  I miss the desert.

I’m from New Mexico also but live in Alabama now. I spent a month in Alamogordo/Ruidoso and really like the look of the mountains with palms and desert cacti and the wide openness. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jtee said:

a I’m from New Mexico also but live in Alabama now. I spent a month in Alamogordo/Ruidoso and really like the look of the mountains with palms and desert cacti and the wide openness. 

I grew up in Abq, on Kirtland AFB.  Been looking to relocate to southern NM with climate being the main factor where to choose.  9a or 9b would be ideal.  I'm in 8b here in Oregon and not looking to move somewhere colder.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have posted pics of my double filifera in Amsterdam in this thread over the years. Last mild winter i lost one due to spearrot. I now protected the spear of the remaining one against excessive moisture with thin plastic wrapped around the spear growing point. Its not completely sealed so air can go through it. They grow very slow here but still grateful i can grow this seed grown desert palm.

BEE6FE8C-87C1-4001-A0B6-E4DF7CA4560F.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, SailorBold said:

20211019_110313.jpg

1 year later..

20221012_104422.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SailorBold said:

1 year later..

20221012_104422.jpg

I see what you did there! Looks like you snapped the second picture 30' back from the first.  Very deceptive!

Trick photography aside, that is some impressive growth. 

I won't even mention the bougainvillea either!

Speaking of watering, can you imagine the roots?

220px-Washingtonia_filifera,_Auckland-NZ,_hand_drawing_Axel_Aucouturier.jpg

Edited by jwitt
Added pic
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2020 at 12:32 PM, Darek said:

Axel Amsterdam Filiferas in Europe differ from those in USA-California, Nevada, etc. Washington Filiferas in US grows in natural desert conditions, i.e. dry air and sun all year round, therefore they have more leaves, leaves are cut deeper, have shorter petioles and very thick trunks . In Europe, we have less sun and high air humidity, so the filifera looks a bit different - long petioles, more massive and less chopped leaves and thinner trunks. There are also fewer leaves

This is spot on. Here is a picture of a filifera crown after winter in Lisbon. Lisbon is next to the Atlantic and completely frost free. You can clearly see the high humidity on the more horizontal leaves. The crown is also less full and the fronds are less deeply cut like in desert climates.

E0BDE2A0-42F7-4936-80C8-F41F933F7751.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, knikfar said:

How do these look now?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/20/2016 at 10:05 PM, SailorBold said:

Here is an update of my Washingtonia filifera 'TorC' palms for mid summer. The palms were planted in March 2013 as strap leaf seedlings.  First pic is from June 2013 ~ 3 months in ground.

filifera062513.jpg

Did you winter protect these at this age ?

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:56 AM, Ltapia said:

Did you winter protect these at this age ?

Yes.. I used a wall-o-water tomato season extender.. they work extremely well in Abq due to the sunshine. I used them until too big to fit.. which really was only 3 seasons... there is a type called the EZ-Wall that is a better product if you could find one..its cells are closed on top which keep humidity from being near the palm.  but even a hard plastic one would work great..ive seen those somewhere. I assume you planted them already..?

The palms are looking great here.  I'm going to clean the trunks and share a pic soon..

All in all. Once your filiferas get some size..ie too big to protect..they are fully hardy here long term.  I've killed palms trying to protect them... so don't worry too much.. 

Have you looked into Sabal at all?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

Yes.. I used a wall-o-water tomato season extender.. they work extremely well in Abq due to the sunshine. I used them until too big to fit.. which really was only 3 seasons... there is a type called the EZ-Wall that is a better product if you could find one..its cells are closed on top which keep humidity from being near the palm.  but even a hard plastic one would work great..ive seen those somewhere. I assume you planted them already..?

The palms are looking great here.  I'm going to clean the trunks and share a pic soon..

All in all. Once your filiferas get some size..ie too big to protect..they are fully hardy here long term.  I've killed palms trying to protect them... so don't worry too much.. 

Have you looked into Sabal at all?

Thanks for the tip!! I only planted a larger what I think is hybrid I guess I been paranoid about planting smaller ones but I will give this a try with the wall-o-water with the smaller Washatonia’s that I have, I was thinking with this three footer I planted to protect it with a frost blanket maybe some lights not sure . I have some Sabal seeds I’m germinating now the ones from the zoo.

IMG_5538.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ltapia said:

Thanks for the tip!! I only planted a larger what I think is hybrid I guess I been paranoid about planting smaller ones but I will give this a try with the wall-o-water with the smaller Washatonia’s that I have, I was thinking with this three footer I planted to protect it with a frost blanket maybe some lights not sure . I have some Sabal seeds I’m germinating now the ones from the zoo.

IMG_5538.jpeg

Use those cinderblocks(or rocks) and make a 2 level high V shape on the north side of that palm and the wall of water this winter. 

Nice palm!

Sleep easy!

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jwitt said:

Use those cinderblocks(or rocks) and make a 2 level high V shape on the north side of that palm and the wall of water this winter. 

Sleep easy!

I have some large rocks I could use I’m going to look for some of those wall o waters for winter protection .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1