Jump to content

Doood.. I can't edit my scatterbrained posts.....


SailorBold
 Share

Recommended Posts

You can - before you submit it. :)

And you have a limited amount of time after you post as well. (This may not apply for the starting post in a topic.) And you have much more time in which to edit if you are an IPS Member.

The reasoning behind no unlimited editing is because after some time has passed, and people have quoted you and/or replied to you, a delete or edit can render all the subsequent posts as non sequiturs. 

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An edit window of 12 to 24 hours might be considered.  At least a few hours.  Hey, we'll all live, but an extended edit window might add to the quality of posts.  Certainly it would add to mine, lol. 

  • Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2016, 2:11:11, _Keith said:

An edit window of 12 to 24 hours might be considered.  At least a few hours.  Hey, we'll all live, but an extended edit window might add to the quality of posts.  Certainly it would add to mine, lol. 

Yes, could really use a longer window of time like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎31‎:‎14‎, PALM MOD said:

You can - before you submit it. :)

And you have a limited amount of time after you post as well. (This may not apply for the starting post in a topic.) And you have much more time in which to edit if you are an IPS Member.

The reasoning behind no unlimited editing is because after some time has passed, and people have quoted you and/or replied to you, a delete or edit can render all the subsequent posts as non sequiturs. 

Bump... I was just blocked again from making an important edit with a post by the time limit grrrr. Can we please have a longer edit time like at least a few hours? I think what you said about non sequiturs is not something that would really happen that much- to have such a short edit window is hurting the quality of many posts more than a very occasional "non sequitur."

Edited by Opal92
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How much time do you really need/want to double/triple check your post? 

The reasoning for the present time frame (in effect for many years)  is this - when someone quotes you and responds, those quotes do not get edited/changed when you edit your post - so it can (and did) get confusing. Even if you edited/changed your post, the original would still be there in the quote(s).

And sometimes people would have second thoughts after someone responded, and change the original intent of their post - or correct a factual mistake they made. This could then make subsequent responses sound "dumb" - and then those people would want/need their responses changed as well.  

So, just check carefully once before you post, and then once again immediately thereafter. There is plenty of time to do both. 

 

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

How much time do you really need/want to double/triple check your post? 

The reasoning for the present time frame (in effect for many years)  is this - when someone quotes you and responds, those quotes do not get edited/changed when you edit your post - so it can (and did) get confusing. Even if you edited/changed your post, the original would still be there in the quote(s).

And sometimes people would have second thoughts after someone responded, and change the original intent of their post - or correct a factual mistake they made. This could then make subsequent responses sound "dumb" - and then those people would want/need their responses changed as well.  

So, just check carefully once before you post, and then once again immediately thereafter. There is plenty of time to do both. 

 

Yeah, like I said, I believe the shorter edit time is hurting quality of posts more than changing a post which someone quoted- I think it would have to be a really drastic edit to be that much of an issue. As you said I'm sure it did happen, but I see that happening more with a very long edit window (like 12 hours+), so just 1 hour (or even 30 min. If an hour still bothers you) I believe would help alleviate the issue and still largely prevent the problem you spoke of. Some of us don't have the sharpest mind to get everything perfect for a long or thought intensive post in 15 min. Also much of the time it's not like we're sitting there editing for 15 min straight, but happen to come back a little afterwards and notice a glaring miss-type or miss-wording.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I've doubled the after posting editing time to 30 mins for non-IPS Members. And it remains at 60 mins for IPS Members.

In the "old days" there used to be an option to "preview" your post before posting - but that was taken away during one of the developer's "improvements." Their reasoning was that you could review/preview as long as you liked before posting any way

.And of course you still have an unlimited amount of time to do your editing then.

  • Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Ok, I've doubled the after posting editing time to 30 mins for non-IPS Members. And it remains at 60 mins for IPS Members.

In the "old days" there used to be an option to "preview" your post before posting - but that was taken away during one of the developer's "improvements." Their reasoning was that you could review/preview as long as you liked before posting any way

.And of course you still have an unlimited amount of time to do your editing then.

Thanks Dean!

 

Westchase | 9b,  St. Petersburg | 9b,  Laurel | 10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Ok, I've doubled the after posting editing time to 30 mins for non-IPS Members. And it remains at 60 mins for IPS Members.

In the "old days" there used to be an option to "preview" your post before posting - but that was taken away during one of the developer's "improvements." Their reasoning was that you could review/preview as long as you liked before posting any way

.And of course you still have an unlimited amount of time to do your editing then.

Thanks for understanding- I really appreciate it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...