IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rain Machine

gsytch

Yep, was woke up with the thunder, a surprise and nice rainfall, got .48".

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Zippo Nada nana zero there has not been any rainfall here sice last Saturday. That means ONE RAIN IN A MONTH (other tha a few minute shower)....that is far from "normal". There has been thunder around, laughing at me. :huh::huh:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

6 hours ago, gsytch said:

Zippo Nada nana zero there has not been any rainfall here sice last Saturday. That means ONE RAIN IN A MONTH (other tha a few minute shower)....that is far from "normal". There has been thunder around, laughing at me. :huh::huh:

Look , I feel your pain , but Florida does suffer a good bit of variability , That is what I meant by saying that

the variability itself is " normal " .

I have been in exactly the same situation that you are currently experiencing , in the past , more than once .

Frustrating as hell to hear thunder , and know that there's rain nearby , while holding the hose night after night .

Here is a link to the SWFMD rainfall info up thru June of 2016 .   There's a lot of info there.  Pretty interesting .

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/weather/

I do think that coastal areas are more variable , regarding the summertime convective showers . Due to , for instance

to a weak seabreeze situation much like the last few days , the breeze feeds the storms inland , but they basically don't move much

without a strong flow either from the east  or the west . So neither coast does well , rain wise .   We have a strong high pressure hanging

over the state right now , and until it moves s little , we are in the bubble .

BTW , over the last 13 months , I visited the Port Richey / Hudson area every Saturday ( due to a medical situation ) , and was struck by the similarities to  the Daytona Beach weather . I have it saved as a favorite on my Weather Underground page , and it is remarkably similar indeed . The seabreeze develops much like ours does over here etc . Temps very close .

Generally the plants look the same , but the soil seems different . 

Good Luck

Yeah, i my almost 30 years here I have never seen a summer so absolutely dry. We are warmer in winter than you as my nighttime lows stay up a few degrees. From New Port Richey south it becomes increasingly more tropical quickly. Today hit 96F and nary a cloud but lots of thunder inland. Again. Rinse. Cycle. Repeat. That is the summer of 2016.:o:o

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Yes this is getting frustrating: meager or non-existent pop up storms during the day have missed us for the last month. Things are getting really stressed.

It actually rained each of the past two days here. We didn't get a lot but every bit helps. :)

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

More noise every day. Hours of noise. Not any rain. Same areas keep getting it - Land O Lakes ad Wesley Chapel - nothing here. Ugh.:angry:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gsytch said:

More noise every day. Hours of noise. Not any rain. Same areas keep getting it - Land O Lakes ad Wesley Chapel - nothing here. Ugh.:angry:

If you were in LOL or Wesley Chapel you'd have a much harder time keeping palms alive during the winter so don't be too jealous of them. ;) 

Edited by RedRabbit

The funny thing is, I'm losing palms that had no problem with last winter whatsoever (smaller sized, tropical stuff planted in ground within the past year).  My orange Areca vestiaria showed promise shortly after planting then died from scorching sun burn in slow motion over the past couple months.  I declared my Neoveitchia storckii (:rant:) dead today as the nice fat healthy emerging spear turned brown within the past couple days (the actual leaves were fried off over the past month).  Even some of my small Cocos in the hottest driest part of the yard are looking a bit "tired"/ "worn out"/"scorched", despite regular enough irrigation.  My majesty looks dry and over-sunned and my very small foxtail double is showing substantial sun scorch on the foliage and there are others!...Hyophorbe indica, Satakentia (very minor), Licuala sumowangii, Pinanga javana and possibly a small Pseudophoenix sargeantii (can't imagine this one could show distress from HOT sun, I do water it, though it is in our sandy soil with no amendments).

That said, the rain/storm coverage the past few days at forecast 20-30% has seemed a bit better than many of the 40-50% days over the past few weeks.  Despite much robust thunderstorm activity in our immediate area on many days during the past week, my location has failed to get a rainfall greater than ~0.33" or so.

Pattern shift please.

Currently raining here and it is on its way to you gsytch!

Edited by RedRabbit

not much at all last night... MAYBE 2/10th of an inch. It died conveniently. However a storm popped up today over the coast and dropped a nice 6/10" inch here, with the radar lit up ad outflow boundaries supreme pushing NW...chances are for another eveing push of storms towards the coast. Now the rainy pattern has finally settled in! :mellow:

3 hours ago, gsytch said:

not much at all last night... MAYBE 2/10th of an inch. It died conveniently. However a storm popped up today over the coast and dropped a nice 6/10" inch here, with the radar lit up ad outflow boundaries supreme pushing NW...chances are for another eveing push of storms towards the coast. Now the rainy pattern has finally settled in! :mellow:

I'm sitting in the dark at the moment as the strongest storm I've seen in a couple years passes through... Heads up, it's coming your way. Hopefully it weakens some before it gets there.

It hit me yesterday twice. Storm aroud 2pm dumped 1/2", then the night storm anothyer 3/4" and yes, weakened slightly but the winds were wicked. The rainy season has decided to show up! Time to fertilize the palms and shrubs! B)

Nada at my place again.  It's been one of the driest summers for me in many years.  I've had 2 measurable rainfalls since TS Colin came through.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Same story.  Our nearly daily sprinkle came though a couple hours ago.  Massive storms continuing to erupt throughout Central FL.  The rainy season is more than 1/3 of the way through, and it has been pretty much a bust.  My palm collection (mainly the smaller size, which are most of my palms) are suffering as a result and are not putting on the robust growth that a wet summer would produce.

It could still turn around, but a pattern change does not appear imminent. 

We have done well this week here in SW Florida, received 2.2" today, 

5 hours ago, SubTropicRay said:

Nada at my place again.  It's been one of the driest summers for me in many years.  I've had 2 measurable rainfalls since TS Colin came through.

Good to see you posting again! It may just be my imagination but it seems like it has been awhile. Sorry to hear you aren't getting much rain down your way. 

Got a good drenching last night.  I hope this will be a new trend.

1.4" today, 3" Wed., 1.5" Tues. Now we're talking.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

After some good rains earlier this week (not huge but good) Saturday produced the bounty I have been waiting for. A huge storm blew up right over West Pasco dumping 2 plus inches easily in a hour. Deluge...first of the summer. N:lol:w we are talking!

So , now that the SE wind flow is favoring the west coast and the interior , we here in the Central east coast are in the dry .

The convective showers form somewhere near I-95 or so , and then either parallel the coast , or move away to the west .

The good old Bermuda High is in place , for now .        And so the summer goes.........

6 hours ago, Bill H2DB said:

So , now that the SE wind flow is favoring the west coast and the interior , we here in the Central east coast are in the dry .

The convective showers form somewhere near I-95 or so , and then either parallel the coast , or move away to the west .

The good old Bermuda High is in place , for now .        And so the summer goes.........

yeppers...what we have been dealing with for 6 weeks!! It gets frustrating.

I've been getting "rain" but it's the type where you could run under an oak tree and stay dry.  I've yet to get the really heavy drenching rain since T.S. Colin came through in early June.  This is setting up as the driest summer here in years.  If the sky were an a*s, I've give it some ex-lax.  It definitely has a constipation problem :mrlooney:

12 hours ago, SubTropicRay said:

I've been getting "rain" but it's the type where you could run under an oak tree and stay dry.  I've yet to get the really heavy drenching rain since T.S. Colin came through in early June.  This is setting up as the driest summer here in years.  If the sky were an a*s, I've give it some ex-lax.  It definitely has a constipation problem :mrlooney:

Can completely understand everyone's frustration.. Sounds like you guys are having rainy season similar to last year's.  Still surprised at how much i had to water both summers i was in Bradenton. There were many days ( pretty sure i mentioned it before in last year's " Florida rainy season" thread) storms roared and looked quite menacing as they crossed 75, only to completely collapse as they passed west over 41, or before reaching Cortez and 53rd.

As fickle as the rainy season seems to have been for you guys.. our Monsoon season has been off to a hair pulling start also. Came on strong.. though i missed out on most of the rain. Even had a rare Tornado warning issued west of Phoenix. Moisture feed from Mexico vanished and the torch machine cranked up again, burning more stuff for just about two weeks.  Storms returned with some serious, albeit localized rain/ flash flooding/ wind just west of the house on Monday. Had quite a dust storm on this side of town last night but all the rain/lightning stayed just south/east of us. Storms never made it into the Phoenix area overnight either. Lots of rain fell over Tucson and the Mountains east/southeast of us. ( Tucson nearly always gets more rain than Phoenix averages)     Mountains north of us had good rain today. We sweated it out in the sun. Back to the 100-teens Friday-Sunday before more chances for rain next week (hopefully). Keep in mind that, unlike Florida, roughly 60-75% ( maybe 80% in some parts of the Desert) of our annual rainfall comes during the summer, on average.

That being said, i have noticed that when Florida, and the Gulf coast for that matter, are drier than what might be typical, there is a higher chance of the Southwest getting less moisture. Or, less of it ends up fully crossing the GOMex and coming north out of Mexico. The forecasts have been suggesting deeper easterly flow  ( possibly tropical potential?) over Florida/ Caribbean basin soon and i'm hoping that also helps send stronger inverted troughs/upper level disturbances this way.

• Upvote 1

Here, rain has been daily for 7-10 days bt varied in intensity. The past three evenings the rains have been lighter as storms pass south or north. The weekend saw a huge deluge. The evening rains, albeit light, have made for incredibly pleasantly rain-cooled mornings around 75F, so much better than the 80F mornigs of June. The yard looks so much happier and the area lawns are lush. What a difference in just 10 days! :lol:

We finally got a good rain two days ago.  About 0.8", then roughly 1/4" today.  So, I think our rainy season has been back for at least a couple weeks (on the low end of normal coverage-wise), and now I actually managed to get in on it.  The plants are looking much better already.

More nothing here....

big storm hit yesterday evening aroud 5pm..we did not get the worst of it as it slid just south but picked up another half inch. Skies are darkening today already, and the radar is lit up. Humid. Muggy. Sun came out an hour go on and off only to heat it up for more storms. Feast or famine! :interesting:

AND two more deluges yesterday for well over two more inches. This is getting like last summer. It came down in buckets, twice. I see moss growing on moss. I hate to say enough already BUT......................<_<

Still very little rain, not nearly enough to keep up with the amount of heat we've been getting. Even some of my Cacti have shriveled. All of my palms have yellow tips lol, which is enough to stop me from being too lazy to water them. I forced myself this morning as it's gonna be 100 degrees (38°C) today. I'm ready for a deluge.

6 hours ago, gsytch said:

AND two more deluges yesterday for well over two more inches. This is getting like last summer. It came down in buckets, twice. I see moss growing on moss. I hate to say enough already BUT......................<_<

See, that is what you should be getting rain-wise, finally.  Be grateful.  2012 was like that here, from mid-May to October 10th and it was my best "gardening" year ever.  The palms and other plants (tropical and temperate) looked as healthy as I have seen.

59 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

See, that is what you should be getting rain-wise, finally.  Be grateful.  2012 was like that here, from mid-May to October 10th and it was my best "gardening" year ever.  The palms and other plants (tropical and temperate) looked as healthy as I have seen.

I agree, we are blessed with this rain, the more rain we get the better my garden looks!

• Upvote 1

It is pouring yet again as it poured yesterday. We need a break. This is way too kuch meanwhile TIA states they have not had even 2 inches this month. We had that yesterday and today its a deluge again. :wub:

I haven't seen rain at my house in 3 weeks. It is a god-forsaken hot wasteland here. Ok maybe I'm being a tad bit dramatic. 

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Upvote 2

On July 24, 2016 at 10:54:47 PM, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

I haven't seen rain at my house in 3 weeks. It is a god-forsaken hot wasteland here. Ok maybe I'm being a tad bit dramatic. 

I've had a trace in 3 weeks, Jason. I think we get relief from a tropical wave brining moisture mid to late next week. 

We did get about 0.6" two days ago but today was completely clear with the sky not even looking close to how it should this time of year.  The airport closest to me averaged

77F/94F (more like Fort Myers than Orlando) for the month of July 2016 with 4.20" of rain (we got significantly less here).  The next two months had better be wet!

I was having much of the same frustrating dryness with the sparse pop up storms and them missing me June-July. Now I'm happy to say that since the last 3 weeks or so we've been having consistent enough rain to not really worry about serious watering. In fact, just today the storms are all over the place and I moved my Washingtonia filifera seedlings inside to dry off a bit as the soil was getting too wet.