IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Uresana SE Hardiness

yabazid

So I am planning to plant a group of 8 7G sabal uresana's up here in Upstate SC. They will be planted in a linear line about 6-7ft space in between. I just wanted to ask you guys if this palm would be suitable. Is it cold hardy enough? Can it take the cold wet winters?   Anyone around my area grow this palm? 

Other palm options would be:

Sabal Palmetto

Sabal Birmingham

Sabal Brazoriensis

Any other option that is hardy for my area?

Uresana has no problems here in Dallas/Fort Worth with sub 20's and ice/snow so you should be good as you have enough summer heat to keep them healthy and growing in the summer.

They will be planted in full all day sun and infront of a fence shielding northern wind. 

I worry the minimums it could take

As long as it stay above 10-11 degrees you'll be fine once they start to trunk.  If you have a few more good winters you'll have nothing to worry about.  They LOVE HEAT, the more the better.  They grow much faster here in July/August when we are over 100 for weeks at a time, 100% sun.

• Upvote 1

I am dying to introduce this one to my area of North FL. Besides AlicesHunter2000's out in Seacrest Beach, I don't think there is one in the entire area. His oddly has gotten cold damaged at 19 degrees and freezing rain, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. This area is starved for different palms. So sick of the mass planted S. palmettos that are overtrimmed and yellow.

• Like 2

The palm your referring to turns out not to be S. urseana ..... it is a S. causiarum.... will try and snap a picture later....it's looking pretty good these days. A friend over in Crawfordville has some smaller ones. I don't know of any either over near us.

• Like 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

9 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

The palm your referring to turns out not to be S. urseana ..... it is a S. causiarum.... will try and snap a picture later....it's looking pretty good these days. A friend over in Crawfordville has some smaller ones. I don't know of any either over near us.

Cool, would love to see pictures. I am so happy for all the palms around this area with this past incredibly mild winter. Some of the big phoenix are just now getting back a full crown after those 2014-2015 winters.

S. causiarum is another one I'd like to see more around here. Actually even a causiarum hybrid with regular palmetto or something would be good. Would be nice to see a more robust sabal grown around here with a thicker trunk.

So the Uresana has the biggest crown out of all sabals? 

And it appears everyone agrees to its hardiness down to 10F

I had one for a few years and the cold didn't bother it. I killed it because I watered it in winter. Just don't give it extra water in winter and you'll be fine. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

One of Alice2000's buddies has a 10G uresana around Purifey that I dropped off a few weeks ago.  Uresana and Causarium are both very large sabals and would dwarf a palmetto.

• Upvote 1

Here is S. uresana in Augusta, GA.  This one has been through 13F with no damage and several ice/snow storms.

IMG_0783.jpg

• Upvote 4

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Here is the same palm right after it had to be moved because of construction in 2006.  From left to right:  S. palmetto x causiarum (probably), S. palmetto, S. uresana, S. palmetto.

DSC_0150-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

How's the growth rate. What size was it when planted? How long it took to get to that size in the fist photo? 

Beautiful palm btw!

Joe,

That S. uresana is nice. 

It's hard to tell from the picture but the plant appears to be keeping its blue-grey-silver leaf color, at least in the newest leaves.

Also, congratulations on it surviving the move.  That palm was still on the small side for move, at least in my experience in moving S. palmettos.  Granted, these moves don't involve root pruning or any pre-dig prep.

13 hours ago, JLeVert said:

Here is the same palm right after it had to be moved because of construction in 2006.  From left to right:  S. palmetto x causiarum (probably), S. palmetto, S. uresana, S. palmetto.

DSC_0150-1.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

To Yabazid:  The growth rate on uresana is moderate.  S. palmetto grows like a weed here, but uresana is just steady.  That big uresana in the first photo still hasn't bloomed.  At that size, S. palmetto would have been blooming for years.

Tank:  The foliage is really silvery.  I'm sorry the photo isn't doing it justice.  I had no choice but to move it and it never missed a beat.  We moved a similar sized S. rosei and it died right away.  Happily I had lots of S. rosei seedlings and they are 'teenagers' now.  

Here is a winter photo of the S. uresana that shows the grey foliage a little better.

IMG_0704_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

On 6/23/2016, 12:00:55, Alicehunter2000 said:

I just planted a Sabal uresana at the family business in PCB a few weeks ago.

IMG_20160612_184506494.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Cool...isn't that the walk in clinic with the tall Italian cypress? 

Yeah, that's the place. In a few years when everything has settled in, it should be worth a visit by enthusiasts as well as (hopefully) interesting to out of state tourists and maybe inspire some different choices for local landscapers.

For example here is a spot where I'm trying to replace the Crape Myrtle/Indian Hawthorne landscaping backbone with things like Livistona nitida and Dioon angustifolium.

To the original poster, if you can grow Sabal palmetto, Sabal bermudana is worth a try too.

IMG_20160623_161709484.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Next time your over that way, give me a call....I'm only a few miles away.

Here is mine in zone 8b or so. It gets full sun all day. You can see that the older fronds are less blue. I'm guessing the wax gets washed off by the rain eventually. The frond on the right has been attacked by leaf skeletonizer. Another question besides cold hardiness is their moisture tolerance. Tank of Palmtalk, who sold me this palm, pointed out that the one he is growing in a damp area is growing faster so I don't think withholding water is a good idea. Mine did have a ring of damage on the spear that emerged in spring, so I doubt they like frost/wet freezing water in that area. This was its first winter in the ground here and it was a fairly warm one.

IMG_20160710_192141110.jpg

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

High heat and lots of water = fast sabal growth, and this hold true for Uresana. As soon as the weather cools off throttle back the water.

• Upvote 1

I need one so bad.. so would anyone say it is a tad hardier than palmetto or mexicana?  Its actually been a toss up between Mexicana and uresana.. 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I am a fan of Sabals so I'd have to say get both. I don't know which is hardiest, but I've heard Sabal 'Birmingham' is the hardiest trunking Sabal, though not the fastest palm.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

2 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Here is my  18 year old Sabal uresana growing in Dallas, TX

Is that growth speed typical? If so, I see why it is favorable to get an already trunking specimen.

3 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

My specimen is growing in a difficult area. Mostly shade and competition from nearby Timber bamboo.

Ahh, very nice blue color on yours though!

Yeah Tony...color super nice on that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 7/12/2016 at 11:25 PM, TonyDFW said:

Here is my  18 year old Sabal uresana growing in Dallas, TX

image.jpeg

Hello Tony, I'm curious how that palm is looking now after the big freeze?

• 1 year later...
On 7/4/2016 at 8:43 AM, redbeard917 said:

I just planted a Sabal uresana at the family business in PCB a few weeks ago.

IMG_20160612_184506494.jpg

Any update on this one? 

My just-trunking S. uresana survived the -5F last year. It's gonna take another growing season to rebuild its crown. 

• Like 3

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

1 hour ago, buffy said:

My just-trunking S. uresana survived the -5F last year. It's gonna take another growing season to rebuild its crown. 

I have to ask... pictures? lol

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

I know people are trying them here in Raleigh, NC. Not sure what success they're having. Plant Delights has an article about them but says they are SLOW to grow. I'm 43 now so I don't think I'll ever see an actual palm if I plant a baby now, not in this lifetime. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, knikfar said:

I know people are trying them here in Raleigh, NC. Not sure what success they're having. Plant Delights has an article about them but says they are SLOW to grow. I'm 43 now so I don't think I'll ever see an actual palm if I plant a baby now, not in this lifetime. 

They’ve got them for sale at Gary’s nursery. Gary said they’re iffy long term where he’s at, told me not to waste my money lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

They’ve got them for sale at Gary’s nursery. Gary said they’re iffy long term where he’s at, told me not to waste my money lol

Some of them survived the 2021 cold event in Dallas. And that's more extreme than anything experienced here in Raleigh in recent history. So it might just be about getting plants from a known cold hardy specimen. Have you watched the Palms R Kool videos on YouTube? That guy lives in Tega Cay, SC, a climate almost identical to Raleigh. And he's growing all kinds of things I'd never try. 

• Like 1