IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops as Bonsai

Pal Meir

I think Chamaerops are the palms that are most suited to bonsai because they don’t mind root pruning, can survive longer draughts and become over 100 years old.

I can present two examples which have suffered longer draughts, one has also survived the last German winter 2015/16 all time outdoors.

The older palm was grown up in 1986 from a seed of a Sicilian palm (Palermo). The first pic was taken in 2003 when the palm was 17 years old, the second pic is taken today, now 30 years old. The yellowing of the fronds was caused by longer frosts during last winter.

The younger palm (var. argentea = cerifera), grown up from RPS seed in 2003 and till 2015 in a small clay pot of only 8.5x8.5cm size. As it dried out too fast it got repotted in a 10x10x10cm glazed container. The last pic shows it, this year 13 years old.

The soil is for both 100% marble pebbles.

1986-2003 in 16x16 cm container:

57658910549ed_Chamaerops19862003-12-06DS

1986-2016 in same container:

5765891917df6_Chamaerops19862016-06-18P1

2003-2015 in 8.5x8.5 cm pot:

57658922474fe_Chamaerops20032015-04-14P1

2003-2016 in 10x10x10 cm container:

576589298fe64_Chamaerops2016-06-17P10108

Another one I gave away in 2008 didn’t survive any more; it was Ch. hum. v. argentea, grown up in 2003 and only 3 years old on the photo:

57658bba99455_Chamaerops2003b2006-09-15.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Do you trim the roots each time you repot?  

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

14 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I think Chamaerops are the palms that are most suited to bonsai because they don’t mind root pruning, can survive longer draughts and become over 100 years old.

I can present two examples which have suffered longer draughts, one has also survived the last German winter 2015/16 all time outdoors.

Oops, I just noticed that I’ve written »draught«, but I meant of course »drought« … :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

They look great. Thanks for the photos

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...

When I got back my bonsai Chamaerops 5 years ago it looked like this (pic #1). :sick: Then I planned to make a real bonsai (pic #2). :rolleyes: But now 5 years later it is looking like this (pic #3). :huh: What can I do making it grow smaller fans:interesting:

#1:

5b5cbd1b9327e_Chamaerops19862013-10-07IM

#2:

5b5cbd1fccba8_ChamaeropsBonsai_3.thumb.j

#3:

5b5cbd28d2a8a_Chamaerops19862018-07-28P1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Unbelievable. Pal, you are more and more the Godfather of real exotic palms. Many years ago, I thought my favorites are special ... but yours: I am without words. 🙂
What we definitely need to talk about is your perfect looking soil mixture. Cannot help but I think it is one of the reasons for your outstanding success. 🥰

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

50 minutes ago, Z4Devil said:

Unbelievable. Pal, you are more and more the Godfather of real exotic palms. Many years ago, I thought my favorites are special ... but yours: I am without words. 🙂
What we definitely need to talk about is your perfect looking soil mixture. Cannot help but I think it is one of the reasons for your outstanding success. 🥰

Not so lucky was my Lytocaryum weddellianum bonsai N°1306. During a longer absence of mine in hot midsummer 2018 the tiny pot dried completely out and the small palm lost almost all its leaves. Now (about 5 years later) it is recovering and has one and a half new fronds. – At that time all (!) of my other tiny seedlings (L »batavum«, L hoehnei, Rhapis laosensis) too had lost their still short lives. :violin:

1 minute ago, Pal Meir said:

Not so lucky was my Lytocaryum weddellianum bonsai N°1306. During a longer absence of mine in hot midsummer 2018 the tiny pot dried completely out and the small palm lost almost all its leaves. Now (about 5 years later) it is recovering and has one and a half new fronds. – At that time all (!) of my other tiny seedlings (L »batavum«, L hoehnei, Rhapis laosensis) too had lost their still short lives. :violin:

Okay, the first part are not good news. But the bold marked are - and nothing else counts. Guess, the most of us wouldn't have this luck.

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

45 minutes ago, Z4Devil said:

Okay, the first part are not good news. But the bold marked are - and nothing else counts. Guess, the most of us wouldn't have this luck.

Oh, I don’t remember exactly when it lost its fronds, it must be later than 2018. But at present it looks like this:

1259150012_N1306c2023-03-30P1060019.thumb.jpg.30b02cc1350adefb404e30a67446bdac.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1