IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Top-Heavy C.costaricana

Funkthulhu

So, not very long or exciting story made a whole lot shorter.  I was turning pots and rearranging in my office.  When I picked up the C.costaricana it wasn't supported by the palms around it anymore and it toppled.  Didn't snap, and I don't think I caused much if any damage, but it did lay over from the base.  

Insufficient roots?  Health issues?  Is this species known for not standing up on its own?  It's currently held up by its neighbors again, but I'll be getting some dowels and pipe-cleaners this weekend.

Suggestions?  (this should in in Palms in Pots?!?  how did it get here?)

Edited by Funkthulhu

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

C costaricana is supposed to be a strong rooter because it has a very intense suckering habit. Maybe it's the fault of this particular plant or of the soil or of both factors...

• Upvote 1

In hindsight, the soil mix could be looser with more perlite, etc. but I'm reticent to repot a palm that is otherwise pretty healthy and popping out spears regularly.

Can't find evidence for root rot either, maybe it just didn't grow beefy roots because it was always supported by its neighbors?

(also, the thread moved!  the web works in mysterious ways....)

re pot it and "saw" off the bottom  4 " and put new potting mix  below and put into a larger pot and use a "premium" potting mix, but Pal said over n over a pic would be good   :) , its obviously stetching for light, so  maybe also cut a few stems off too..   

Look fwd to ya pics.   Pete :)  

I think y'all will be disappointed, there is only one stem.

It's the middle one

20160630_084308_zpso9msn0ph.jpg

the big one is the one with limited support, I put more soil around the base, it topples at a point just below the surface.

20160630_084329_zpstwwabpbv.jpg

The smaller one looks like it will topple, too.  As soon as it gets bigger and heavier.

20160630_084355_zpsuwvatxfu.jpg

• Upvote 1

My humble opinion is that soil is to loose and perhaps dry out to fast of this reason. I have he same problem with a Neanthe bella and the soil is definitely the problem, only this time soil proved to heavy, as I had used very fine sand in the mixture.

Seems if I water from the bottom I get weak roots, and if I water from the top I get fungus gnats.  Isn't pot ranching fun?!?

The teeny tiny tree in there is a blood-orange seed I spit in there a couple years ago.  Less than 3 inches tall, never gets any bigger. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Another proof that soil is very peaty wih absence of any calcium.

Considering the amount of scale the coats all the office faucets, I find it hard to believe these guys don't get calcium...