Pal Meir

On 8/12/2022 at 9:40 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

@PsyPalm @Scott W what do y'all use for fertilizer? Mine are growing but I feel like they're slower than they should be. Maybe my apartment is too cold? Maybe they're too far from the grow light? Maybe I don't water often enough in Pal's mix? Maybe I'm impatient?

I've been using the Miracle Grow palm fertilizer.  Mine are also outside where they get morning and late afternoon sun but shaded from the intense midday Florida sun.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! 

Looks like Wekiva has their 3 gal. Lytos back in stock.  I've purchased two of these from them in the past and received extremely healthy and robust palms.  I know a few of us were keeping an eye out for any Lytos for sale online so I wanted to pass along the listing before they sell out again (@JohnAndSancho, @Philly J, @Zeni & co.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1055443050/wedding-palm-live-plant-in-a-3-gallon?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=lytocaryum&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1&organic_search_click=1

@Pal Meir looks like they used two photos from your beautiful Lyto collection on the listing, fun little palmtalk Easter egg lol.  Cheers folks :D 

Loch

• Like 1

Thanks for the update @PsyPalm but I will be growing them from seed. What I find odd is that Lytos are frequently described as slow growers on palm / gardener's info websites, yet on PalmTalk and elsewhere you see people who got decently sized ones from seed growing indoors within a decade. To me, that doesn't seem slow, especially for a palm.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased three germinated L. weddellianum seeds from an ebay seller in Hawaii just over a month ago and thought I'd try to document their progress here with you guys.  They were shipped in moist sphagnum and arrived quite healthy, each having about 2-4 inches of developed root and starting to show signs of their first leaf. They have continued to display robust growth over the five weeks I’ve had them, it's been great to see the first fronds develop multiple pinnae.  I estimate these specimens to be around 2 months old.  Pictures taken 9/22/22.

XPxALXR.jpeg

Lyto Seedlings 2.jpeg

Lyto Seedlings 1.jpeg

Lyto Seedlings 4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2