IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

Hello! :) My LP I sowed in February now look like this.

MMjQlKf.jpg

I have 3 seedlings. Two are growing fast. One is tiny. @Pal Meir How would you price them, because I intend to sell them in the spring? How much do they go? their height is 15 cm without flowerpot.

Edited by Ilovepalm

1 minute ago, Ilovepalm said:

Hello! :) My LP I sowed in February now look like this.

MMjQlKf.jpg

I have 3 seedlings. Two are growing fast. One is tiny. @Pal Meir How would you price them, because I intend to sell them in the spring? How much do they go?

Don't sell them, keep growing! They'll reward you.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Reading these tales of your all's beautiful L. wedellianum has inspired me, would love to grow some from seed. Do you all know anybody that has seeds available?

2 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Kai I need money for other expenses. I will buy new seeds, don't worry. :) 

If I were to sell seedlings this size I'd reasonably ask 3 to 4 euro's... maybe.

I'd probably give them away though and just ask for return in shipping costs. These seedlings won't get you new furniture I'm affraid...

My point being: these palms are more beautifull and rewarding than the small amount of money they might generate.

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Kai I need money for other expenses. I will buy new seeds, don't worry. :) 

Don’t sell those Lytos for nothing! :bemused: Sell anything else!  Your house, your car, ………

14 minutes ago, DennisK said:

Reading these tales of your all's beautiful L. wedellianum has inspired me, would love to grow some from seed. Do you all know anybody that has seeds available?

L weddellianum is the most beautiful indoor palm species for our latitudes, much more beautiful than other very expensive or rare palm genera. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm going to have to given in and get at least one of these gorgeous little palms.  I'm guessing since im in Florida at 27 degrees N, that I should't have any trouble with them.  I know there are a few places around that sell some decent sized ones.  That said, I think I might want to try one from seed. ;)

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Ok, I'm going to have to given in and get at least one of these gorgeous little palms.  I'm guessing since im in Florida at 27 degrees N, that I should't have any trouble with them.  I know there are a few places around that sell some decent sized ones.  That said, I think I might want to try one from seed. ;)

You know I've been watching this thread all summer long and am thinking I'm going to have to give them a whirl as well. Simply stunning palms. As Pal Meir noted above perhaps one of the nicest potted palms. I tend to agree! Now where to source seed of L. Wedd and L. insigne seed on this side of the pond ....

Good luck finding Insigne... Try the Lytocaryum Hoehnei. I now have 10 in the ground & 4 in containers. I gave up on the Wedd's as they seem to have a issue with fungus here.

24 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Good luck finding Insigne... Try the Lytocaryum Hoehnei. I now have 10 in the ground & 4 in containers. I gave up on the Wedd's as they seem to have a issue with fungus here.

You should try L weddells only in pots, not in the ground. It is the most attractive potted palm for indoors or lanais imo.

46 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Where did you get your Hoehnei if you don't mine me asking? Floribunda? You are correct Insigne seem nearly impossible to locate. The Wedd's would be for pots around the house. 

4 hours ago, RJ said:

Where did you get your Hoehnei if you don't mine me asking? Floribunda? You are correct Insigne seem nearly impossible to locate. The Wedd's would be for pots around the house. 

Yes, I got them from Floribunda. They have tripled in size in the year I've had them.

Pal I tried a couple in pots & they got some fungus as well.

Edited by Laaz

On 12/12/2018, 11:34:01, Laaz said:

I would LOVE to find Insigne, even just seed. I guess for now I will stick to Weddellianum's.   Now just to find one.   The one place I found that sells them locally is closed for the winter.  They are about an hours drive northeast of me. 

On 12/11/2018, 7:00:31, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

On 12/11/2018, 8:06:14, RJ said:

You know I've been watching this thread all summer long and am thinking I'm going to have to give them a whirl as well. Simply stunning palms. As Pal Meir noted above perhaps one of the nicest potted palms. I tend to agree! Now where to source seed of L. Wedd and L. insigne seed on this side of the pond ....

This is why I got a L. wedd and hoehnei on my last Floribunda order. These guys keep sharing photos of their stunning specimens and I finally broke down and went for it! 

Pal, put me on the list for a few insigne seeds too, please!! :yay:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 12/18/2018, 9:11:17, Missi said:

This is why I got a L. wedd and hoehnei on my last Floribunda order. These guys keep sharing photos of their stunning specimens and I finally broke down and went for it! 

Pal, put me on the list for a few insigne seeds too, please!! :yay:

I know right?  It's going to happen.  LOL!  

Pal - add me to your insigne list too!  :drool:

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since a couple of days the temps here are quite mild, but as we have gusty storms with speeds up to 80 km/h I can’t leave my two L insigne outdoors, only the storm hardy L weddellianum in a protected corner of Balconia Germanica:

977100148_N130203082019-02-09P1050049.thumb.jpg.78b4054cef156ad34c566aa90d1e9ce8.jpg

783100906_Wetter2019-02-09.thumb.jpg.5d9ce7cd65b8cebf5dc01e7bb711bb65.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Is that a Lytocaryum batavum from @Kai ?

No, I was too slow back then when he had some for sell :(
This comes from Madeira based mother plant :)

My friend bought seeds from bsquare_1 and all of them rotted. Strange, because he has very bad reviews on the net.

3 minutes ago, Ilovepalm said:

My friend bought seeds from bsquare_1 and all of them rotted. Strange, because he has very bad reviews on the net.

You mean they arrived already rotten?