IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

On 8/12/2022 at 9:40 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

@PsyPalm @Scott W what do y'all use for fertilizer? Mine are growing but I feel like they're slower than they should be. Maybe my apartment is too cold? Maybe they're too far from the grow light? Maybe I don't water often enough in Pal's mix? Maybe I'm impatient?

I've been using the Miracle Grow palm fertilizer.  Mine are also outside where they get morning and late afternoon sun but shaded from the intense midday Florida sun.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! 

Looks like Wekiva has their 3 gal. Lytos back in stock.  I've purchased two of these from them in the past and received extremely healthy and robust palms.  I know a few of us were keeping an eye out for any Lytos for sale online so I wanted to pass along the listing before they sell out again (@JohnAndSancho, @Philly J, @Zeni & co.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1055443050/wedding-palm-live-plant-in-a-3-gallon?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=lytocaryum&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1&organic_search_click=1

@Pal Meir looks like they used two photos from your beautiful Lyto collection on the listing, fun little palmtalk Easter egg lol.  Cheers folks :D 

Loch

• Like 1

Thanks for the update @PsyPalm but I will be growing them from seed. What I find odd is that Lytos are frequently described as slow growers on palm / gardener's info websites, yet on PalmTalk and elsewhere you see people who got decently sized ones from seed growing indoors within a decade. To me, that doesn't seem slow, especially for a palm.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased three germinated L. weddellianum seeds from an ebay seller in Hawaii just over a month ago and thought I'd try to document their progress here with you guys.  They were shipped in moist sphagnum and arrived quite healthy, each having about 2-4 inches of developed root and starting to show signs of their first leaf. They have continued to display robust growth over the five weeks I’ve had them, it's been great to see the first fronds develop multiple pinnae.  I estimate these specimens to be around 2 months old.  Pictures taken 9/22/22.

XPxALXR.jpeg

Lyto Seedlings 2.jpeg

Lyto Seedlings 1.jpeg

Lyto Seedlings 4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, PsyPalm said:

Rearranged this corner with a lyto/howea combo, I call it The Lagoon :)

Palm Lagoon.jpeg

Poor old Howea's not getting much light, but Lyto looking great! What's your medium? The memento mori seems to have been very effective at reminding it to not die; I must try this. I have a mummified toad somewhere.
I haven't tried these from seed, but when I buy them as small seedlings, they ne marchent pas.

13 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Only in small amounts, highly diluted.

But don‘t fertilize your cute seedlings at all!

ok nothing for the moment or very very little 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 11:04 AM, Eric33 said:

You fertilizes as small ?

IMG_20230228_100840.thumb.jpg.2ef91ffcd877e2e9f40d027b41ca159f.jpg

I am really interested to know which soil mix this is. I see Seramis but what is the other?
I love all the photos of this thread. 🥰

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

🥰
THANK YOU, Pal. Really helpful. I could imagine this works for other palms as well. Possibly my Acanthos as well? 🤔

14 minutes ago, Z4Devil said:

🥰
THANK YOU, Pal. Really helpful. I could imagine this works for other palms as well. Possibly my Acanthos as well? 🤔

I don’t know anything about Acanthophoenix, but maybe my L insigne mix could be more helpful. (1) For babies and (2+3) for L insigne from 3rd year and later:

1394039151_SoilMixtureforLytocaryuminsigneSeedlingsIMG_8106.thumb.jpg.0ec9f87dcf01490d60c91d0286894807.jpg

532159197_SoilLinsigne2016-08-24IMG_8948.thumb.jpg.07c3e17fa3a758283681d2397a2310fe.jpg

757616636_SoilLinsigne2016-08-24IMG_8949.thumb.jpg.fd4aed405c444eaaa913b7d0f2d56ce7.jpg

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Yes, Pal - this is helpful! The Acanthos are extremely touchy in terms of too much water. Especially for this palm I think: its all about drainage and loose substrate.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing !

I have a question for you, i have a 2years old one there, i wish to repot it si ce long time but it still have only one root, and i'm affraid to break it. I can't put it outside because wind would broke it, 

Is that's normal that it doesn't make new roots ? 

IMG_20230414_154205.thumb.jpg.05212626ab707b87d021cdc3fd2dd17c.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psy460 said:

I have a question for you, i have a 2years old one there, i wish to repot it si ce long time but it still have only one root, and i'm affraid to break it. I can't put it outside because wind would broke it, 

Is that's normal that it doesn't make new roots ? 

No, your potting mix has no good drainage. You have to repot it. 

Here is an example of a palm in good potting mix, but with a clogged drainage hole on the bottom of the pot:

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

No, your potting mix has no good drainage. You have to repot it. 

Here is an example of a palm in good potting mix, but with a clogged drainage hole on the bottom of the pot:

Drainage is pretty good, maybee i water it too much ? 

I always keep it wet, everyday i water it ( 30°C everydays ) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last year I had no success germinating lytocaryum seeds. Sad.. as I was looking forward to growing them. I think the heating mat and perhaps a bit of excess water in the zip lock (baggy method) was fatal. I will try again this year with new seeds using no heating mat and one of those small seed starter greenhouses with airflow holes. 🤞