IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainy Season Starts Off with a Bang

Cocoa Beach Jason

Bigtime rain here in Florida the last couple of days. I probably got about 5-6 inches in less than a 72 hour period. The rain still falls as I type this so who knows how much we will get when it is done. 

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason

It rained a lot more over there. I think I heard Vero broke some records with something like 10"?

We maybe got 2-3" over here.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Other than a heavy rain in the first few days, May has been very dry here on the west coast. I have recorded less than 3/4" in the past three weeks. Bring it on PLEASE!

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

1 hour ago, gsytch said:

Other than a heavy rain in the first few days, May has been very dry here on the west coast. I have recorded less than 3/4" in the past three weeks. Bring it on PLEASE!

That's all? I don't have a rain gauge set up yet, but I know we got at least 2" here.

Dry here as well.  My crotons look like well.....May.  No surprises and a menacing La Nina is looming.  Can you spell watering restrictions?!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

5 hours ago, SubTropicRay said:

Dry here as well.  My crotons look like well.....May.  No surprises and a menacing La Nina is looming.  Can you spell watering restrictions?!

I remember seeing a map once that showed S. Tampa as the driest area in the state... Probably not ideal for growing palms, but S Tampa would turn into Venice if it got any more rain than it does so it is probably a good thing overall. lol

Here in the Cape I received 3.84" of rain for May, I pray for a good rainy season, and no la nina effects.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

It has just been sunny sunny and cloudless. A pleasant 64F thismorning was a nice surprise, but alas, I had to water my big azaleas they were wilting. Bring on anything to throw rainfall my way!

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

There's some indication we will have a tropical disturbance off the east coast next week so there's more rain in the forecast. 

I certainly hope there isn't any sort of drought this summer. Last December when the weather was mild and not very good for growing palms we got like 14" of rain in one day but now that it's hot we've only had a couple of inches the whole month of May and the 10 day forecast is very dry. 

3 hours ago, nitsua0895 said:

I certainly hope there isn't any sort of drought this summer. Last December when the weather was mild and not very good for growing palms we got like 14" of rain in one day but now that it's hot we've only had a couple of inches the whole month of May and the 10 day forecast is very dry. 

I know I'm getting worried too. This happens sometimes May-June where there will be a scorching hot dry period. I remember last year it lasted a few good weeks where it was well into the 90's and bone dry. I'm not liking the looks of the 10 day forecast. Chances for next rain just keep getting pushed farther and farther back.

4 hours ago, Opal92 said:

I know I'm getting worried too. This happens sometimes May-June where there will be a scorching hot dry period. I remember last year it lasted a few good weeks where it was well into the 90's and bone dry. I'm not liking the looks of the 10 day forecast. Chances for next rain just keep getting pushed farther and farther back.

I've noticed the same thing about May and June most years and then the rain usually picks up more in July. I can't wait until that time of the year when there's at least a 30% chance of thunderstorms every day.

Was the drought in 2007 really bad where you live? I remember we only got like an inch of rain the whole summer up here. A few storms tried to pop up most days but they always avoided Montgomery.

On 5/26/2016, 12:18:21, nitsua0895 said:

I've noticed the same thing about May and June most years and then the rain usually picks up more in July. I can't wait until that time of the year when there's at least a 30% chance of thunderstorms every day.

Was the drought in 2007 really bad where you live? I remember we only got like an inch of rain the whole summer up here. A few storms tried to pop up most days but they always avoided Montgomery.

Yeah it seems to happen like this sometimes.. I too cannot wait for the regular summer storms. In 2007 I think there was a dry period at one point. I have a recollection of seeing brown grass in the medians but I think that was late summer. Must have been shorter lived down here because there were some good t-storms that summer and then tropical depression #10 which hit right in my area. Could have been different in Montgomery though.

It looks like TS Bonnie will be hitting Charleston next week:

023326W5_NL_sm.gif.dbe78fbad04a1809d1b6e

Received 1.35" of rain today, so I and the palms are happy.

29 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Received 1.35" of rain today, so I and the palms are happy.

Lucky you, we didn't get any up here... Sea breeze kept it a little further away.

Just dry and sunny here, everyday. No real rain has fallen sinc the first few days of the month. It thundered inland. I see Orlando is getting its usual storm cluster tonight. We ar needing rain big time here.

On 5/27/2016, 11:20:17, RedRabbit said:

It looks like TS Bonnie will be hitting Charleston next week:

023326W5_NL_sm.gif.dbe78fbad04a1809d1b6e

OMG I thought they were all going to di. I actually spotted a hat flying off the head of a TWC meteorologist, I swear. The damn channel covered it lik a hurricane and it was just a typical cluster of squalls. This is how complacency begins.

2 hours ago, gsytch said:

Just dry and sunny here, everyday. No real rain has fallen sinc the first few days of the month. It thundered inland. I see Orlando is getting its usual storm cluster tonight. We ar needing rain big time here.

It rained in N. Hillsborough / S. Pasco this afternoon... No rain here though.

Just heavy rain Sat night through Sunday afternoon. Sun started breaking out about 3 pm Sunday. No wind to speak of...

It is early still, but it is looking like a low pressure area will develop in the Caribbean and move over SW Florida next week. 

Here in the Cape I received 5.5 inches of rain in May, which is above normal, I hope this trend continues. But I pray that the Texas rains will ease so they can dry out a bit.

This past Sat. I got 4.1". Last night another 1". I think we had nearly 3" the first 3 weeks of May. Total for month was approx. 7.5", well above normal. Will we start June with the "wooosh" of rain? Still too early to tell.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

There has been daily storms nearby, but here in the yard where it counts, not all that much rainfall. One night it pured for 10 minutes. A few light rains on the dying end of a storm is all I could muster. The humidity has been way up and now the forecast is for heavy rains MOnday. Much needed heavy rain. Not too much please....

A tropical storm might be coming to Florida next week bringing in the rains.

Predicted precipitation for the 5-day period ending 8 am Wednesday, June 8, 2016. A tropical disturbance is predicted to bring rainfall amounts of 2 - 7" inches to most of Florida, with most of the rain falling Monday and Tuesday. Image credit: National Weather Service. precip-jun3.gif

Ed in Houston

29 minutes ago, Ed in Houston said:

A tropical storm might be coming to Florida next week bringing in the rains.

Predicted precipitation for the 5-day period ending 8 am Wednesday, June 8, 2016. A tropical disturbance is predicted to bring rainfall amounts of 2 - 7" inches to most of Florida, with most of the rain falling Monday and Tuesday. Image credit: National Weather Service. precip-jun3.gif

Ed in Houston

Yes sir, up to 70% probability last time I checked. At this point it looks like it will just be a weak tropical storm. I'm going to do a little more planting in advance, all the rainfall should be great for us. :)

Tropical Storm Colin is nowhere near my area but is still sending lots of rain this way.image.thumb.jpg.6951d56dd705ed81f6e76949

image.jpg

We had a bad squall line move through around 12pm, I'm guessing wind gusts were >50mph. I saw a downed tree in DT Tampa, but that's about it so far. This mostly just seems like a rain event... 

SubTropicRay, how's it going in down in your neck of the woods? Commute by kayak today? lol 

Tropical storm Connie is bringing dry weather to Texas with North winds on the west side of the storm...finally.

I saw some rainfall amounts yesterday and 5 inch rains were common. A lot more probably has fallen as of this morning.

https://icons.wxug.com//data/storm_radar/at201603_radar.gif

Ed in Houston

I have received 9.23" of rain just this week and expecting more! I am thinking of building an ark and putting 2 of every kind of palm on it ;)

We picked up around 4.5" from TS Colin, glad to have gotten the rain.  A massive oak limb fell early Monday morning right in the middle of the front yard, despite a lack of any real wind whatsoever.  I think it was rotten in the middle, full of heavy mistletoe and Spanish moss and wet and that finally took it down.  Late Monday night and early Tuesday morning, it was pretty gusty from the south for several hours (20-27 mph, gusting 30-40 mph).  Being a longtime resident, the gusty winds were distinctly the type we get when we are within the wind field of a tropical cyclone (a weak one in this case).  Also, Colin seems to have ushered in true June FL weather, with the muggy feeling both during the day and at night (before this week the rainless days were hot and dry (relatively low humidity)).  The plants all love the hot, humid, rainy weather.  Time to fertilize, again.

TS Colin drenched my yard, but since that Monday only a few downpours and storms that were short-lived. Nothing since last Thursday. I am hopeful some moisture comes this way Thur and Fri as I can use it now.:wub:

• Upvote 1

Boy has it been hot the rain is welcome at this point. My weather station has been reading 112-116 heat index this week.

Still raining pretty much here. Started raining when I left for work in the morning and was raining when I came home (probably nothing in between though.) The two days prior were dry, but rain every other day.

• Upvote 1

Some quick, but good rains in my yard. 10minute downpours but better than the nothing I have had. Happy camper I am! :P

• 1 month later...

We had the biggest downpour on record in May, then almost no rain in July.  The town is turning brown.  Graphs.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Sorry guys I think I jinxed beachside central FL starting this post. I don't think my yard has seen rain in about 3 weeks and it has been a hot hell hole here. Cocoa Beach is also turning brown. Luckily we have irrigation that the city lets us turn on 2 x a week. I see big storm clouds west of us very often but it just hasn't made it to the barrier islands. 

• Upvote 1

Same thing up the coast to Volusia and Flagler,  and St Johns Counties. SE flow from the big High pressure center

is not our friend right now .  Storms form at about I-95 , and drift off to the west .

Eventually it'll change out .