IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Knowing When to Re-pot.

RobustaEnvirons

Recently its been brought to my attention (here on PT) that I might want to transition my potted Washingtonia Robusta into a larger pot. I have noticed that over the course of the last couple months its not really added any new leaves or grown its existing leaves any larger. I have been however, monitoring its root growth and it seems the roots have been growing vigorously but not anything above the soil. It was just humming along up it decided to focus all its growth on the darn roots! It put out a middle-newest spear and it looked like it (the spear) was going to be growing quickly, but then it just stopped where it was at. 

Everything looks great on my little Robusta here, its just not doing much else. Its just basically maintaining what it has. Its still very vibrant and all, just it seems to have halted above-soil growth. We were sort of talking about it here, but I'm still not sure about what size pot to run out and buy. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/49503-washingtonia-robusta-in-pot-tipstap-root-watering/#comment-757536

Since I got it, I've had it in a 32oz Powerade bottle. Up until all this, its done the job. I'm not really sure about how to choose the correct pot size for my palm. Does anyone have any suggestions as for shopping for pots? I don't want to go too large and then have it suffer (I've done that before). But, I don't want to go too small and not gain any extra space. I've provided a few photos, but since I took these, there are now even more roots and offshoots off of those roots! Also, the main radical along the bottom rim has almost grown full circle around the bottom of the bottle. Haha. 

Thank you to anybody that might be able to offer some advice.  

IMAG1438.thumb.jpg.5724ccc88770806b4f4a2ca9f7f6f2f1.jpg

IMAG1431.thumb.jpg.40d7a03b1c0cbd7074293363a85bfb9d.jpg

IMAG1442.thumb.jpg.8bf2900a838d5164c5ec72b0191f9ff2.jpg

Edited by RobustaEnvirons

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

Oh! Well, okay then. I wasn't sure since others suggested it. Thanks. I may just wait then. But, if it doesn't need repotting yet, why has it been focusing all its growth into the roots lately and not continuing to grow more above the soil?

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

5 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

I would say they have a ways to go yet before up potting.

Mainly I just mean the large one closest to the window on the right. That's the one shown in the other pictures. 

Richard Berry 

One other note. I used to use the plastic bottles too, mostly in the form of a self watering germination method. When it did come time to transplant into larger pots cutting the thicker (edges) parts of the plastic can be a real challenge to the point of possibly damaging the seedling. I now start them in tall Styrofoam cups. It's easy to peel away the Styrofoam or simply plant the cup in soil and let the roots burst through in time.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

I One other note. I used to use the plastic bottles too, mostly in the form of a self watering germination method. When it did come time to transplant into larger pots cutting the thicker (edges) parts of the plastic can be a real challenge to the point of possibly damaging the seedling. I now start them in tall Styrofoam cups. It's easy to peel away the Styrofoam or simply plant the cup in soil and let the roots burst through in time.

I actually never thought about the need to cut the container. I was thinking that I could just tap the sides of the container and it would pull right out. That's how I always normally do it. 

Richard Berry 

The self watering method I speak of the roots of the palm will naturally grow through the hole at the bottom and makes it very hard to remove palm without damaging the roots.

43 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

The self watering method I speak of the roots of the palm will naturally grow through the hole at the bottom and makes it very hard to remove palm without damaging the roots.

I see. I normally pour in water from the top, and it flows down to the bottom of the container. Washingtonia Robusta don't require enormous amounts of water anyhow. I just drop in water once the top 2 inches or so of soil become dry. Then I water it until water flows out of the bottom drainage holes. 

Richard Berry 

Richard, here's a couple shots of the root growth of my Washies, from last year. At this point, they had been in their long pots about a year, if I remember correctly, and perhaps 2 years (maybe 18 months) from seed. I think your's can go a bit longer.

57383d588517c_010(2).thumb.JPG.47a17be31

57383d77199ef_012(2).thumb.JPG.28b158220

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Wow! That's pretty crazy root growth. I totally agree, I sure do have a while yet to go. Lol. Mine is nowhere close to that. That's really cool to see though. 

It's interesting how you used a really long pot, and they didn't seem to mind or anything. 

But yeah, I definitely agree that I have a while yet before I need to worry about repotting my Washy. 

Thank you for sharing this. :D

Richard Berry 

Wow, I always thought they needed space. Mine isn't even a year old (its birthday is in 3 days) and I've repotted it twice already. Only because it used to dry out so quickly, I figured it was rootbound. Its current pot should last it a few years though.

Just did another repotting of my washy, from the 20L pot above to a 35L pot. It was in the 20L pot for one year.

Peeling back the 20L liner...

063.thumb.JPG.ac00219229afa51b0e5f41d6b5

And settling it in.

064.thumb.JPG.555bb02f13401ace7c78b45aaf

JT

• Upvote 2

Looks like you're growing 2 Washys in parallel? I only have a single one growing myself. 

Richard Berry 

That particular one is a double. I have about 7 doubles and 13 singles. Can't afford 19 more 35L pots yet. :-)

JT

Oh, I understand. That's a good idea then. Pots are kind of expensive, especially when you buy larger sizes. It seems like the larger the size, the larger the cost. Because I'm personally limited on growing space I can't have too many palms. I don't have that problem yet to where I'd need to keep two in a pot. 

Richard Berry 

Since the temps have shifted dramatically into Summertime I put my little Washies out in my Sunroom (AKA my bedroom).

They're loving it! They are now picking up speed. One of them in particular is really growing rapidly! I can't believe it. My Sunroom faces the South and the West simultaneously. I keep all the blinds open on my South and West facing windows. After 11am, my Sunroom gets sunshine all day until the sun goes behind the trees (around 8pm-9pm). 

I'm just going to keep them sitting where they're at in the sunroom for a while. They're thriving, so that's good. I would like to put them out in the yard, but I just know they'd be infested with ants/bugs and or be knocked over or destroyed. I personally don't want any of that, especially not after having all this time and effort invested into these. Now, if I had my own home or something then yeah I'd probably figure something out to keep them solely outside during Spring-early Fall. But I don't, I live with 3 other family members (ones that aren't so keen on palm trees). 

So for now, these are doing well where they are. I am very impressed with there growth.  

IMAG1457.jpg

IMAG1468.jpg

• Upvote 2

Richard Berry 

IMAG1466.jpg

IMAG1471.jpg

• Upvote 2

Richard Berry 

On 5/11/2016, 4:34:03, sashaeffer said:

Or your fingers!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Richard:

You go, bro!

Washies LOVE heat. 120 FF in the desert suits them fine.

You've made me greatly appreciate the stunning beauty all around me out here that I take totally for granted.

The one below volunteered by my clothesline about two years ago. (Maybe three?)

560.thumb.JPG.41c512a43621f7e8ae48006141561.thumb.JPG.1579860178b04b848f7e24f19a562.thumb.JPG.a6bfd966c4b77d03862ce555d5

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are from the front yard.

563.thumb.JPG.e19050f0b00d52c8560d4b03e8565.thumb.JPG.b3f52b19a4a3d6b716c3517f4e

• Upvote 3

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎21‎:‎43‎, RobustaEnvirons said:

IMAG1466.jpg

IMAG1471.jpg

Whoa. A whole lot of washies. You're gonna need a bigger house soon. Are those from my seeds?

And, is that a self-levitating cable box? :mrlooney:

Edited by Pando

On 5/31/2016, 2:38:28, Pando said:

Whoa. A whole lot of washies. You're gonna need a bigger house soon. Are those from my seeds?

And, is that a self-levitating cable box? :mrlooney:

I do have a lot of Washies here! I think I might be okay for a little while though, before I need to find a bigger place, lol. 

Yeah, these are all the ones I've been growing since January & February! These are all sprouted from the seed you sent me. The second one from the left isn't from your seeds though, its one I bought in July of 2015 on ebay from a seller in Nevada. But, all the other Washies are from the seeds you sent. That single lone Washy in the picture is growing so rapidly, but the other seedlings seem to be taking their sweet old time. I don't quite understand what the reason behind that is, but I'm just happy they're all growing well. 

You must have sent some really good healthy seed, because I've had nothing but good luck with these. I'm actually growing these here (all except the one I own) to give to a few family members. I have 4 Washies growing, but I think I'm going to keep one for myself (that way I have 2 long-term Washies). I love Washies so much, they're my favorite palm. I don't really know why, but I just love them. I still have the other seeds you gave me, but I've been told that we don't need any more palms around. Also, I don't want to have too many to bring with me down to Florida next year when I move there. I'm bringing whatever I can with me in my car when I move. I kinda want to limit any long-term palm growing, at least until I get down there. I didn't want you to think I didn't appreciate it! The joys of living with family. :blink:

And, no that cable box isn't self-levitating! Haha! :lol:. I have a really stiff Coaxial cable plugged into the back of it, and I've got the box perched just-so, on top of my flat-screen TV. The tension from the coaxial cable allows the box to just sorta lay there along the top of the bezel of the flat-screen. It does look like its levitating though. Lol. 

Richard Berry 

On 5/30/2016, 9:49:04, DoomsDave said:

These are from the front yard.

563.thumb.JPG.e19050f0b00d52c8560d4b03e8565.thumb.JPG.b3f52b19a4a3d6b716c3517f4e

That would be so nice to see everyday! You're so lucky. They're majestic and seem to tower into the sky. They do seem a little windswept though. I'm sure you guys get some wind out there right? I hear talk of the Santa Ana winds. 

Richard Berry