IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How big a palm could get in a pot?

Mohsen

I was browsing for palms in pots and I saw many really big ones in pots...

As I have far more palms that I could plant in ground I wonder How big a palm could get in a pot?

could it get to trunk stage ? how old could it get there?

Are those big ones in pot grow only in pots or as once someone from a nursery told me " growers got their roots to ground from the bottom of the pots and that's why the get that big...the roots out of pots will be cut and then the pots will be sent to nurseries for sell, so they couldn't get as that big only in pots..." ?

Butia capitata P45 H10 Y2005 N1432.JPG

Howea forsteriana 25g sun (Large).JPG

adonidia-triple.jpg

11'-13' majesty.jpg

jubaea-chilensis.jpg

MGRTN-7fa4b464-4b1b-4d9f-be1c-2c37cf371ac2-TM.jpg

• Upvote 2

Well, I've got a couple Veitchia and Christmas palms, I guess I'll find out the hard way in a couple years (decades?).

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

The Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris e.g. has many big and tall Phoenix canariensis which were grown up in pots (photo from Wikipedia):

Jardin_du_Luxembourg%2C_Paris_October_20

And if you prune the roots you can keep many palms even for a century or more in pots (e.g. Chamaerops, Howea, Rhapis, etc.).

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

6 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

The Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris e.g. has many big and tall Phoenix canariensis which were grown up in pots (photo from Wikipedia):

Jardin_du_Luxembourg%2C_Paris_October_20

And if you prune the roots you can keep many palms even for a century or more in pots (e.g. Chamaerops, Howea, Rhapis, etc.).

Thanks Pal

so those Phoenix canariensis  grow in pot from seed? that's interesting ...also I remember you had a big ( with trunk) Archontophoenix in pot, did you grow that from seed? how often you changed its pot ?

and what do you mean by " prune the roots" , the roots that come out of the pot or something else?

once I read the root of a tree would grow and cover an area as the same of the canopy of that tree but when in pot it wont be like that ?

Another example for big palms in pots (pic 1) I found in the Botanical Garden Berlin-Dahlem (pic 2). These Phoenix canariensis are potted in wooden containers that are ca. 1.2 m wide (pic 3). The seedlings are first grown up by the palms themselves (pic 4) and later planted by men in smaller pots (pic 5).

#15723768a441cf_01Berlin2016-04-28P1010482

#2572376a8bf80b_02Berlin2016-04-28P1010494

#3572376c6db257_03Berlin2016-04-28P1010486

#4572376dc16427_04Berlin2016-04-28P1010495

#5572376f41eb4b_05Berlin2016-04-28P1010474

• Upvote 3

On 27.4.2016, 00:20:33, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal

so those Phoenix canariensis  grow in pot from seed? that's interesting ...also I remember you had a big ( with trunk) Archontophoenix in pot, did you grow that from seed? how often you changed its pot ?

and what do you mean by " prune the roots" , the roots that come out of the pot or something else?

once I read the root of a tree would grow and cover an area as the same of the canopy of that tree but when in pot it wont be like that ?

Here one example of root pruning (not recommended for all palm spp):

572377d796032_Phoenixcanariensis1980-05-

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Mohsen:

As Pal noted, you can keep some palms in large pots for decades. As long as they get watered enough and have periodic refreshment of the soil, it's surprising what you can do.

I recall a California grower keeping queen palms in 15 gallon pots with 20 feet of trunk (staked to keep them from falling over) for years. He had to water them multiple times a day, but they still grew.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Mohsen:

As Pal noted, you can keep some palms in large pots for decades. As long as they get watered enough and have periodic refreshment of the soil, it's surprising what you can do.

I recall a California grower keeping queen palms in 15 gallon pots with 20 feet of trunk (staked to keep them from falling over) for years. He had to water them multiple times a day, but they still grew.

Thanks Dave...

Multiple times a day or a week? 

I saw David Attenborough on 'The life of plants' last night. He showed what he said was the oldest palm in a pot in the world. It is in Kew gardens England and was planted in the pot in 1775. So it is about 240 years old. I forget what it was. You could probably find it on the web if you wanted to. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

1 hour ago, gtsteve said:

I saw David Attenborough on 'The life of plants' last night. He showed what he said was the oldest palm in a pot in the world. It is in Kew gardens England and was planted in the pot in 1775. So it is about 240 years old. I forget what it was. You could probably find it on the web if you wanted to. 

That is not a palm, but a Cycad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1203029/Worlds-oldest-pot-plant-gets-new-home-epic-repotting-Kew-Gardens.html

• Upvote 4

Oh yes, thank you. David Attenborough needs a new script writer, I never did trust the English. :D

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I've seen 100-200G pots for oaks and routinely see 6+ft  clear trunk palms in pots (25-65G). It's more of a hassle for growers to keep and stake I bet is why you don't see more of them and most landscape palms at that size transplant fairly easily so no need to keep in pots.

On 4/29/2016, 11:04:56, Pal Meir said:

I never had the guts to root prune.  Can I do this with Rhapis excelsa?  I have a huge 22 year old in a pot but really need to repot for the past say 8 years.  These are indestructible palms!  

53 minutes ago, Cape Garrett said:

I never had the guts to root prune.  Can I do this with Rhapis excelsa?  I have a huge 22 year old in a pot but really need to repot for the past say 8 years.  These are indestructible palms!  

Hi,

I recently divided my Rhapsis excelsa into several specimen. To do this I had to entagle the roots as far as was possible but some pruning was necessary as well. So far, none if the now individual plants seem to be bothered by it.

It wasn't a very big plant though, biggest stem only 80cm I guess..

good luck!

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2016, 12:04:56, Pal Meir said:

Pal, what was the reasoning for this type of pruning. Was your goal to keep the plant small, or fit into a smaller pot? Or was it to help the palm grow newer, healthier roots and thus get bigger over time?

Thanks, JT

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

13 hours ago, JT in Japan said:

Pal, what was the reasoning for this type of pruning. Was your goal to keep the plant small, or fit into a smaller pot? Or was it to help the palm grow newer, healthier roots and thus get bigger over time?

Thanks, JT

My reasoning was to keep the container as small as possible, so that I could manage its transport alone.

• Upvote 1