IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Daniel

Palmy

Ah my luck, hope it doesnt ruin our vacation on maui. Whadda know, plane arives 7pm friday. :(

Hurricandaniel.gif

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Palmy,

You never know, but these things have a tendency to turn north and promptly fizzle out. My guess is that we may have a day, or two, of wetter than normal weather towards the weekend - if that. If you're in Maui for a week, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Zachary,

Those forecast maps are so misleading.  Like some local meteorologists were saying here in 2004, do not focus on the central line.  The cone of uncertainty is what is most important.  The storm rarely does exactly what the line says.  It does however, usually end up somewhere in the cone.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Aren't we due for the hurricane season to start around the Gulf of Mexico soon?  I thought the season had been lengthening in recent years, but I've heard no mention of anything yet.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Just watching the 5 o'clock news, and "Daniel" is expected to pass north of Hawaii Island on Friday morning with sustained winds of 55MPH. (I believe 75MPH is needed for hurricane status). So it'll just be a tropical storm at that point. As I said above, my prediction: Fri/Sat a little bit on the wet and windy side, and then nice weather. And if history were to repeat itself, I'm predicting it's going to take a somewhat northerly course (i.e. make a slight right hand turn), which will minimise its impact on Hawaii even more.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Neo,

I have been wrong before but this season may not live up to what the early predictions were.  Just a hunch but at least compared to last year, there will be fewer major storms.  I guess that's not difficult given that last year was the worst on record.

Ray

Damn you are Lucky Zach. Have fun in Hawaii. I just got back from a 4 week cross country trip, so I am having to get back on normal schedule again. Have fun and take lots of pictures.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Palmy,

Just curious, did you get in touch with Sunya Echternach (Maui Palm Society) in Maui?

Bo

Yes I did thanks so much, she does have an email. Thanks a bunch, I have a good place in mind.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

The last posted forecast track is not encouraging for the big island. I'm sure you guys have however, seen this before.  

Ray

Ray,

Yes, we have seen it before, and even though it's never good to be complacent, "Daniel" is quickly losing strength. Hopefully, in a few more days it'll just be an unorganized depression!

Bo

Daniel was downgraded to a tropical depression yesterday, so the main threat seems to be gone, even though the wet weather didn't get here yet. And if it continues on its present course, it looks like it's going to pass south of the state, not to the north. It's sunny here today, with just a little bit more wind than normal.

And listening to the weather report last night was close to comical. A meteorologist was next to apologetic about Daniel's collapse: "Well, a hurricane is like a car engine. If you put bad gasoline in a car, the engine is not going to operate at maximum efficiency. Same with a hurricane. Daniel has been pulling in cold air from the upper atmosphere and this has prevented it from maintaining maximum efficiency, and that's part of the reason why it's losing steam now."!!

Well, today (Thursday at 3:30 p.m. LT) is another perfect day in paradise. Nice mix of sun and clouds, perfect cooling breeze and 82F/28C. Daniel must have gone elsewhere! :laugh:

Whatever happened with Daniel?  I've seen nothing about it in the news.

Major flop!! It quickly disintigrated and by the time it arrived (Friday) we did get a little bit of rain, but hardly any wind to speak of. Which was great - I can use the rain, but can certainly do without the wind! Check the other thread - Rainfall in Leilani Estates.