IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potting up Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

JT in Japan

I had some good root growth over the last year with my bottle palms. Time to put them into something bigger. I'm wondering if this is their last pot; it's pretty heavy now.

Does anyone have any really developed bottles still in pots? Like with the really bulbous bottoms they are famous for?

008.thumb.JPG.e2edee32a1d8ecd3c734716648

009.thumb.JPG.d3212519d5cde53518d843029e

010.thumb.JPG.5ce5d7b7f0e27ec0bc1fa5698b

014.thumb.JPG.a0294a2b22534cfb7fab701ee3

015.thumb.JPG.8bf1bcf8ee8f9e6308f5ff9a59

• Upvote 4

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Looking good JT.  I have heard that Bottles are actually pretty well suited to pot culture and can grow more or less indefinitely in pots it decently sized.  Maybe others can weigh in.

Here's one I picked up about 8 weeks ago.  The famous bulbous bottom is starting to become apparent. 

20160320_184943.jpg

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, most palms can be grown in a container, as long as they are provided with enough water and furtilizer. Examples are the big palms in botanic gardens like Versailles in France and Het Loo in The Netherlands. In my own collection I have trunking Chamaerops humillis in a wooden container for more than 35 years.

Regards,

Wim.

P1020276.JPG

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, wimmie said:

In my opinion, most palms can be grown in a container, as long as they are provided with enough water and furtilizer. Examples are the big palms in botanic gardens like Versailles in France and Het Loo in The Netherlands. In my own collection I have trunking Chamaerops humillis in a wooden container for more than 35 years.

Regards,

Wim.

P1020276.JPG

That trachycarpus looks healthy as well as the Chamaerops. How old is the trachycarpus, and did you grow it from seed?

jt

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Both palms are Chamaerops humilis, the right one a vulcano. I bought the one on the left some 35 years ago with half a meter trunk, the vulcano about 15 years ago with a starting trunk, size baseball.

Wim.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎45‎:‎04‎, wimmie said:

Regards,

Wim.

P1020276.JPG

Is the smaller Chamaerops (center) a 'Volcano'? Has that look to it. Never offered that I know of in North America. Nice specimen there Wim.

Cheers, Barrie

3 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Is the smaller Chamaerops (center) a 'Volcano'? Has that look to it. Never offered that I know of in North America. Nice specimen there Wim.

Cheers, Barrie

Yes, Berrie, that definitely is an vulcano. It has the rather small leaves and very wide and almost thornless petioles. Here in Europe, young plants are readily available.

Wim.

P1020697_v1.JPG

I'd heard a nurseryman in Europe has pretty much exclusivity with these 'Vucano' palms. That may explain why we can't get any over here.:(

Very nice garden too ... Cheers, Barrie.

Thanks, Berrie; and..........., is sending one to Canada an option? You might contact Gardenpalms at Erica in The Netherlands.

Wim.

On 22.3.2016, 01:40:14, JT in Japan said:

I had some good root growth over the last year with my bottle palms. Time to put them into something bigger. I'm wondering if this is their last pot; it's pretty heavy now.

Does anyone have any really developed bottles still in pots? Like with the really bulbous bottoms they are famous for?

The palm in the black container on the right is a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis; when those palms still haven’t developed a tall trunk they look more like a bottle.

57054787d9989_Howeaforsteriana2012-07-06

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Couldn't resist this affordable, robust little palm (for $19.98) at one of the local big box/home improvement stores (L***'s) here in NorCal. Since it's not dependable in the ground year-round in my location, it'll spend its life in a pot and its winters in my sunroom. Will be a companion to my H. verschaffeltii.

Hyophorbe.png

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s my bottle in the centre of the pool. Brought up by a local nursery and the same will be coming in for winter with my other palms. I love these plants

F3F3DA56-01BC-4B12-9FED-748165B44A1A.jpeg

• Upvote 2