IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acanthophoenix rubra finally in ground

quaman58

Hey all,

I've wanted to plant one of these for over 10 years. They have always been difficult to find, & I've not had much luck with them when I have found them. The teeny ones always damp off for me. I had a couple one gallons shipped to me from Florida that died within days. (Which taught me that they're root sensitive). I've tried to get them straight from Reunion, only to have them confiscated--twice. So a few years ago when my neighbor suggested that he & I go in on a couple 5 gallon plants from Florida, I was pretty skeptical. I asked "How are going to ship?" He responds by telling me that the guy will reduce the rootball so that it fits in one of those "If it fits, it ships" packages. Knowing full well that this would be a recipe for disaster, I told him to go ahead & sign me up for one, being pretty certain I'd just lit a match to about $300. They arrived about 3 days later, and sure enough, Terry's was dead 3 days after that. Mine was just mostly dead. But I put it into a 15 gallon pot, watered it & put it in the ICU part of my yard. No direct sun, no wind, damp & humid. After 2 weeks, it still was not all dead, so I marked the spear & waited. Nothing. Winter arrived & it was moved inside & became a mostly dead houseplant. Time passed & in March of the following year, I took it back outside to the ICU. 14 months after I received it, I looked at the marked spear, and although I could not be sure, it looked to be maybe 1/16" higher than where I had marked it. A week later, it was 1/4" higher. About 6 weeks later, it actually opened a frond! Wow, a palm with 2 fronds. It looked so lush. It then decided to get busy & re-join the living. It's grown briskly ever since. Two years ago, I moved the pot to a part of the yard where I eventually planned on planting it. Not wanting to temp fate, I would bring it inside during freezing spells. But this winter, I figured it was now or never, so it spent all winter outdoors. There was a bit of cold damage to a couple fronds, but nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, last week, I started digging the hole...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Here's the palm waiting to be freed. More to follow later..

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Bret

Wow! I admire your patience.

I've been learning that sometimes they are just pretending to be dead...:blink:

I've yanked a couple palms out the ground only to find a bunch of root action down ther.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Daniel. Much of that "patience" comes from not knowing where I'll eventually be able to put it the ground. Getting pretty cramped for planting space these days..Anyway, the strategy for planting on the hillside depends on whether the palm needs always available water, or not. Acanthophoenix does, so I've been using my old, worn though 35 gallon trash cans as in ground liners. It works really well for keeping a large area of soil moist for water hungry plants, UNLESS there's a larger aggressive tree close-by. Pines, large olive trees, even queen palms will  find the buried  container's weep holes, invade the pot, & effectively strangle what's inside.

• Upvote 6

Bret

Here's the process: gigantic hole..

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bret

Starting to back fill with 50/50 palm mix & native soil..

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bret

Not wanting to disturb the roots, I opted to cut the pot away. I think it was ready for a change..

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Bret

Back fill & mulching, & final new home. Thanks for looking.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

Bret

Cool technique! I'm gonna have to do that when I plant near my neighbors ficus tree. I always find its roots in my yard when I dig a hole. They grow under and over the my brick wall looking for water. 

6 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Back fill & mulching, & final new home. Thanks for looking.

image.jpg

image.jpg

did you finish your pale ale? :) 

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

wait a minute...

did you bury that 33 gal trash can in the hole?:huh:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Ahhh, several Josh. :) First day of spring ya know; got pretty warm.

• Upvote 1

Bret

26 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Ahhh, several Josh. :) First day of spring ya know; got pretty warm.

nicely done Sir :) 

I remember seeing that A. Rubra beauty when I was over there last.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Looks like you have done everything on your end to make sure it makes it.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

wait a minute...

did you bury that 33 gal trash can in the hole?:huh:

Sure did. It's a lot of work. It's usually a 2 to 3 day process, me being only good enough for about 45 minutes of digging at time. 

• Upvote 2

Bret

Thanks Paul & Jim, hopefully I'll see some good growth on it as the weather warms up!

Bret

Bret:

There's a couple neighbors up in Huntington Beach who also have one, that's about 20 feet tall after a number of years.

We had a PSSC meeting there in November, about 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Bret:

There's a couple neighbors up in Huntington Beach who also have one, that's about 20 feet tall after a number of years.

We had a PSSC meeting there in November, about 3 years ago.

Dave,

I've always loved medium size individuals of this species. Just so tropical looking. Dennis Witherby's is so gigantic now that it's kind of lost in the canopy. Even around here, they're pretty fast growers when they're happy. 

• Upvote 1

Bret

• 7 months later...

So I figured I'd post an update after about 8 months. This is proving to be a very fast palm as long as the weather stays warm. It's thrown 4 fronds this year & is about 6' in height. Water is the key to all 3 Acanthophoenix species. Thanks for looking..

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

Bret

Looks awesome!!! I want to give it a snuggle. 

• Like 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Looks really good Bret. This is a hard plant for me to grow here. I have killed all mine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

i could not get one to grow to save myself. The size seems to make all the difference. Now that better ones are coming from Jeff, I'm finding them to be no problem to grow either. But the small ones I had absolutely no luck with. I would have never guessed they would grow this rapidly around here. 

Bret

Steve, any time. You're a sick man; probably one of those guys who's growing Calamus..

Bret

Nope, rubra. A whole lot easier to see red when super young. The white leaf undersides are the giveaway. This originally came from Steve Stern... 

• Upvote 1

Bret

Andrew, yours is bulletproof in Florida? Really? How is your Lip Stick Palm? A guy in Singapore told me they were bulletproof. :)

Bret, are the undersides of the leaflets glaucous? Not sure if this trait carries over when larger, but as small plants only Rubra has this of the three species. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Yeah Len, the rubras have it from seedling size right thru Dennis Wiloughby size. The rousellis stay green underneath like the crinitas..

• Upvote 1

Bret

wow Bret! that's some great growth you have there. I planted out a 5 gal a couple months ago at the Fair view garden in full sun. its growing like a weed and I hope it will look as good as yours someday soon?

IMG_6772.JPG.ad3c74efa283c40048bd0667dd0IMG_6774.JPG.2c61f521749f0350f4988c81db8

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

Shoot that with an iPhone 1 Josh?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

17 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Nope, rubra. A whole lot easier to see red when super young. The white leaf undersides are the giveaway. This originally came from Steve Stern... 

Ahh. So did mine--his came directly from habitat. That's settled!

17 hours ago, LJG said:

Andrew, yours is bulletproof in Florida? Really? How is your Lip Stick Palm? A guy in Singapore told me they were bulletproof. :)

Bret, are the undersides of the leaflets glaucous? Not sure if this trait carries over when larger, but as small plants only Rubra has this of the three species. 

I will get a pic. Both are fine. My rubra I do nothing to besides drop delonix limbs on it--no water and little fertilizer and she doesn't grow too fast but she is fine. The lipstick is at my father's by the canal. It is rhizoming out!

Erin,

It was a fully worn out trash can that I also scored the sides on. Seems to be the only way to keep enough water on super thirsty palms planted on a hillside. 

• Upvote 1

Bret