IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roller Coaster season

Trópico

How about a little confusion for my palms?

post-47-1176323263_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

91F??  Wow Frank, that's much hotter than the anticipated high over here.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Here are the forecasts for interior Tampa (generally the warmest high temperature readings) and Tarpon Springs over the next few days.  Big time drop on Sunday it appears.

interiortampa.jpg

tarponsprings-1.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I'm so damn jealous :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Today's high winds have really CHILLED things down :angry:

I wonder how this effect things when they think the growing season has started. Can it stunt growth overall for a season when they start then stop?

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ Apr. 12 2007,15:00)

Today's high winds have really CHILLED things down :angry:

I wonder how this effect things when they think the growing season has started. Can it stunt growth overall for a season when they start then stop?

The growing season is essentially 365 days a year in much of California including the San Fernando V.  Cool and cloudy conditions merely slow grow but do not stop plant life.

It is very windy today and dust storms are occurring in the desert.

Tonight will be chilly if the wind dies down but tomorrow should be quite nice [80's]  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

It was 44F at my place this morning. Not damaging, but combine it with the winds ripping through yesterday afternoon, and it's not a very palm hospitable environment.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Apr. 13 2007,09:14)

It was 44F at my place this morning. Not damaging, but combine it with the winds ripping through yesterday afternoon, and it's not a very palm hospitable environment.

Yeah, it got cold once the wind died.  I bottomed out a little above 10C (51F) this morning...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

My minimum was 55.9 °F at: 3:05 AM. It's still pretty breezy here.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Spent the night w/o power due to extremely gusty winds [up to 50MPH].  The dust yesterday was as bad as it gets with zero visibility in Mojave desert & less than a mile in parts of the valleys.  Even downtown people were rubbing dust from their eyes  :o

Looks like another round of wind later this weekend and again next week as storms pound the PacNW & the dry fronts sweep into California.  There will be rain in Nor Cal but it looks unlikely [as it has been all year] that moisture will make it into SoCal.  There are encouraging signs that rainfall may penetrate persistent high pressure over SoCal & the Climate Prediction Center [NWS] forecasts above normal rainfall for April in California.   :)   But considering that April generally trends dry, local meteorologists aren't too optimistic  :(

Lots of broken branches and debris at my place but palms look fine.      

This morning's low 55F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Apr. 13 2007,10:38)

The dust yesterday was as bad as it gets with zero visibility in Mojave desert & less than a mile in parts of the valleys.  Even downtown people were rubbing dust from their eyes  :o

From the Hollywood freeway yesterday - I saw downtown LA in a "dome of dirt". I was surprised how windy it was in Hollywood. It's no big thing here in the valley.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

The wind 2 weeks ago folded a new archo cunningham frond in half. The bad news is it was it's only one. I've tied the fronds and spears of 3 kings together with mini bungees and will keep them like that for the next few days. Those new fronds are pretty wimpy without the support of older hardened ones.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry

You might want to protect king palms a while longer.  There's a significant mass of upper-layer cold air advancing onto the West coast.  Here's AM satellite :

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satelli....&size=4

More wind but also real chance for violent weather including t-storms/hail/water spouts. Unless, of-course, it breaks up before reaching SoCal  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23