IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Chamadorea glaucifolia seed!

DoomsDave

I have a nice passel of Chamadorea glaucifolia seeds.

Free for the asking!

Please shoot me a private message with "free glaucifolia" in the subject line and I will mail them to you,

Anywhere on Earth, including cold places. C. glaucifolia is a slender, single-trunked species with fine, gray-green leaves that will take sun but also grow well in the shade. Max height here in California is about 7 feet, though they might get taller. They're relatively hardy, though not as iron-clad as radicalis.

image.thumb.jpeg.469edf951aecc84b96d0ce5

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have a somewhat limited supply, so my plan is to collect requests for a couple of weeks then send them out.

They take about a week or two in the U.S., and up to a month overseas.

Chamaedorea_glaucifolia.jpg  Chamaedorea_glaucifolia02.jpg

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's one of Phil's plants.

This gives a nice idea of overall size.

../gallery2/gallery//large/palms/chamaedorea_glaucifolia_003.GIF

Got a few replies, keep them coming.

Can do at least 20! Still far short. Please send address.

Come and get them!

That picture does not show how many there are, which is a lot.

Keep the requests coming!

The seeds I've tested all were viable - they sank like little bits of bird shot.

I haven't sent any out yet . . .

There's still more available. Send in your request soon, as I'll close the offer at the end of hte week.

There's room for a few more, send a PM or forever hold your peace.

(Or wait till I get more seeds later on!)

If i didn't already have 7 juveniles in the same pot, I'd totally be in for a bag.  As is, I'll just sit back and watch.  The germination rate on the ones I managed to keep alive was very low and I'm keen to see what the G-rate is on fresh seeds.  Keep us all updated!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Mailed out 35 envelopes tonight, 20 in the US and 15 overseas, including Canada, which is just over the river . . .

Everyone got about 20-30 seed.

I didn't clean them, there's been a high germ rate so far, if even half grow, you'll mostly have more plants than you'll know what to do with . . .

So, if you can, give them to friends!

P.S. I've got a few seeds left, shoot me PMs, this is getting near the end! (Till Larry brings me more seed.)

• Upvote 1

The big black things are cleaned seeds; the little beige ones are cleaned seeds.

I checked a few at random an all sank like pebbles.

image.thumb.jpeg.537b47d9e9c249dff31d497

The cat approves, grudgingly. The envelopes below are headed overseas.

image.thumb.jpeg.9132675ff4f893dc928cba0

• Upvote 6

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎25‎:‎34‎, DoomsDave said:

The big black things are cleaned seeds; the little beige ones are cleaned seeds.

Was that the cat typing? :lol:

My empty envelope arrived damaged!  Damage recorded by Concord post office.  I don't know what happened but both ends were torn off!  :rant:

Sorry Dave - if you get another crop I would be interested!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Arrived today.  Envelope very beat up, but the brutality of the USPS cleaned all the seeds for me!  Thanks Dave!

Hmm. Won't use those envelopes again.

21 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

My empty envelope arrived damaged!  Damage recorded by Concord post office.  I don't know what happened but both ends were torn off!  :rant:

Sorry Dave - if you get another crop I would be interested!

Good heavens. Never had that happen before.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm. Won't use those envelopes again.

Good heavens. Never had that happen before.

Yeah, this thing had been through the wringer, not sure if any envelope would have stood up.  Maybe a padded one.  I have no idea how this could have happened - this thing was chewed up - maybe from an electronic sorting machine malfunction?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Seeds arrived in Germany today, but the envelope was torn on one side, so only 4 seeds left. Somebody at USPS must now have a whole bag full of C. glaucifolia seeds. :o

Thank you Dave!

Edited by Hamal

Frank

Seeds arrived here too Dave.

Here too, envelope badly beat, 8 seeds pre-cleaned still inside.

Should be enough going by the previous batch (which by now is a grassy field...)

Thx Dave!

Got the seeds over the weekend.  They look great, planted and awaiting germination.  Thank you Dave.  Maybe you could make a giant, seed-disseminating, bird costume for next Halloween?  :mrlooney: 

Thank you all for your thanks!

Looks like those tighty-whitey envelopes were a bad idea; the brown ones were better. This is the first time I ever had trouble with seeds lost in transit by torn envelopes!

(Maybe that's why the cat was scowling?)

Hi Dave 

just got my seeds today and envelope in really good shape. Thanks a lot for your palmosity, pardon the pun

Received the seeds today in great shape. Envelope in great shape as well.

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Clay

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.