IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis

knell

Here is the stunning Rhapis palm that I take care of inside the store I work for when Im not traveling. It gets lots of ambient light and amazing air circulation.

Its hard to get a decent photo without climbing on the fridge as my office is on the other side of the building, but photos from below are just as nice:

A3fBwxTh.jpg

General Rhapis appreciation thread

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, knell said:

Here is the stunning Rhapis palm that I take care of inside the store I work for when Im not traveling. It gets lots of ambient light and amazing air circulation.

Its hard to get a decent photo without climbing on the fridge as my office is on the other side of the building, but photos from below are just as nice:

General Rhapis appreciation thread

Looks like Rh. excelsa. – Here two small 12 years (!) old potted Rhapis, one Rh. micrantha (always indoors) and another Rhapis of uncertain species (humilis or robusta, still outdoors):

56bdeb3f288d7_Rhapismicrantha2016-02-11P

56bdeb4472ff6_Rhapis2016-02-12P1010254.t

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks great 

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

21 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

That’s a Rhapis excelsa, did you grow it from seed?

Hello Pal, no I purchased this palm at a nursery. He was severely pot bound when I got him so I gave him plenty of room in this glazed pot. I seperated some suckers and potted them up as well. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I really do like the look of Rhapis!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I'm having such difficulty with my herd of rhapis. I almost need a complete Dummy's Guide to Keeping Them Alive! My wife even gave me grief last night ("if you wanna be a palm guru, you're gonna have to pay more attention!)

The love of my life. 

I'm going to start a separate thread so as not to highjack the quality message of this one. I love the look of a healthy rhapis too!

JT

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

4 hours ago, JT in Japan said:

I'm having such difficulty with my herd of rhapis. I almost need a complete Dummy's Guide to Keeping Them Alive! My wife even gave me grief last night ("if you wanna be a palm guru, you're gonna have to pay more attention!)

The love of my life. 

I'm going to start a separate thread so as not to highjack the quality message of this one. I love the look of a healthy rhapis too!

JT

Also a sick Rhapis is a good Rhapis! I guess your soil mix was not the ideal one: R. needs a very fast draining mineral soil with regular watering, and it must not dry out.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful visuals gentlemen, Do any one here grow the following Rhapis of my choice ?

Rhapis Humilis and Rhapis Multifida,visuals of these is much desired.

I do have one variety which i will post that still when possible.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

2 hours ago, Kris said:

Beautiful visuals gentlemen, Do any one here grow the following Rhapis of my choice ?

Rhapis Humilis and Rhapis Multifida,visuals of these is much desired.

I do have one variety which i will post that still when possible.

Love,

Kris.

I have only an old pic of a 3 years young R multifida:

576d0e0218b9d_Rhapismultifida2006-09-18.

• Upvote 3

• 4 months later...

A little late to the party, but always love to keep a good thread going.  

I've always loved Rhapis but I've never had one of my own to grow, until very recently.  I got this little single stemmed young Excelsa a Couple of months ago.  The emerging and opening fan was barely half way out then.  This photo was taken 1 week ago and now that fan is nearly half way open.  I'm hoping that this main trunk gets some good height before the suckers start to grow.  It's got 3, but only one has extended and starred to curve upward.  

I still am waiting to find the right Multifida as those are my favorite Rhapis.  I've been looking for that for over a year now.     Anyway here is the little Excelsa. 

IMG_1157.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep things moving along...

that new leaf is now fully open and another is not far behind.  Woohoo!    I trummme off the oldest two "seed leaves" as well.  They just looked "old" and a little ratty.  So now it's got a small trunk even. :-).  

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

• Upvote 3

On 19/11/2016, 01:38:09, Mohsen said:

image.jpeg

Ooh thats a pretty one. Are you going to break off a stem for the garden ?

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

6 hours ago, peachy said:

Ooh thats a pretty one. Are you going to break off a stem for the garden ?

Hi Peachy I dont know how to separate them ?

Simplicity itself dear boy. Pick a nice healthy stem with a good leaf/ leaves, dig it out of the dirt a bit and find the runner section that joins it to the others, cut that, then plant the bit you separated. Give it a drink of seaweed liquid, keep it moist and you won't have any problem.

• Upvote 1

27.35 south.

On 12/1/2016, 9:07:31, peachy said:

Simplicity itself dear boy. Pick a nice healthy stem with a good leaf/ leaves, dig it out of the dirt a bit and find the runner section that joins it to the others, cut that, then plant the bit you separated. Give it a drink of seaweed liquid, keep it moist and you won't have any problem.

So what is seaweed water?  Why is it beneficial and where does one find that?  Just curious.  

Liquid seaweed is like a vitamin tonic for plants. Great for use after planting or repotting and a monthly pick me up for the garden in general. Seasol is the most well known brand but most garden centres or nurseries have a generic brand as well. Most of them have the same formula.

• Upvote 1

27.35 south.

On 12/10/2016, 7:26:15, peachy said:

Liquid seaweed is like a vitamin tonic for plants. Great for use after planting or repotting and a monthly pick me up for the garden in general. Seasol is the most well known brand but most garden centres or nurseries have a generic brand as well. Most of them have the same formula.

Ah ha!  Thank you very Kindly Peachy!  I shall order myself some and use it!  Thank you!!!  :D :winkie: :greenthumb:

More photos! :drool::drool::drool:

So a few weeks ago or so, on a trip to one of my larger local nurseries with a very large green house, i happened upon a flat of very young, new Rahpis Excelsa palms.  Being the palm freak I am, I could not resist.  The best part was they were only $10 per palm.  I picked one up.  Here it is.  :yay:

IMG_2572.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.12.2016, 18:39:28, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

More photos! :drool::drool::drool:

So a few weeks ago or so, on a trip to one of my larger local nurseries with a very large green house, i happened upon a flat of very young, new Rahpis Excelsa palms.  Being the palm freak I am, I could not resist.  The best part was they were only $10 per palm.  I picked one up.  Here it is.  :yay:

IMG_2572.JPG

In case you are not sure if your second palm is R excelsa or might be R cochinchinensis you can compare the leaflets and leaf sheaths (ligules persistent?) with these of my R cochinchinensis:

5866af08d0160_RhapiscochinchinensisBlade

5866af11b6442_RhapiscochinchinensisLigul

5866af1869539_RhapiscochinchinensisLigul

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2016, 2:02:56, Pal Meir said:

In case you are not sure if your second palm is R excelsa or might be R cochinchinensis you can compare the leaflets and leaf sheaths (ligules persistent?) with these of my R cochinchinensis:

5866af08d0160_RhapiscochinchinensisBlade

5866af11b6442_RhapiscochinchinensisLigul

5866af1869539_RhapiscochinchinensisLigul

Thank you Pal.    

I just got home from the long weekend and just on a very cursory glance of the photos of yours I can make two observations.  The leaflets on mine look far far more like the photos you have posted.  As for the sheaths, I cant really tell as much as the plant is far younger.  In the pot there were (are) two leaf sheaths that have long since fallen or been pulled off since before I purchased it.  I will get some better photos and inspect it better later today.  I You can see though based on the other one that I have how very different looking they are in deed.  I can also try and get comparison photos side by side if that is helpful.  

• 3 weeks later...

Here they are side by side.  They each appear very different from each other.  I will try to get closeups of the trunks and sheaths and leaflets 

IMG_2572.JPG

Rexcelsa1.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Here they are side by side.  They each appear very different from each other.  I will try to get closeups of the trunks and sheaths and leaflets 

IMG_2572.JPG

The first palm is looking very similar to the still small 3rd offshoot of my female R cochinchinensis var. laosensis.

11 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

This is the 3rd stem (2nd offshoot) of the female R cochinchinensis:

5881ef69d57b6_Rhapisspb2017-01-20P103029

It does look MUCH more like yours than it does my other one.   You can see they are clearly different ( the two I have) which is what makes me think that they are not the same SP of Rhapis.   That you see it as well only makes me believe this even more. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just been to the local garden centre and they had four of these. The top of the leaves is about 7 feet high.

Just wondering whether to buy one as they are relatively expensive!

Which rhapis is it?

Thanks

IMG_20170217_145534.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ivorhooper said:

Hey all,

Just been to the local garden centre and they had four of these. The top of the leaves is about 7 feet high.

Which rhapis is it?

Thanks

IMG_20170217_145534.jpg

Not a help with species, but those certainly are old.  How much are they?  Maybe we can get a kitty going for you, after all the Pound has tanked post-Brexit. :D

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Huge variegated one, I should have bought it when I had the chance, if it's still there later this year I am packing it home  

stgermain.jpg

10 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Not a help with species, but those certainly are old.  How much are they?  Maybe we can get a kitty going for you, after all the Pound has tanked post-Brexit. :D

Hey all,

Which rhapis is it?

Thanks

:-)

Haha, it's £60 so about $75.

Would have been about $80- $90 pre brexit vote!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ivorhooper said:

Hey all,

Which rhapis is it?

Thanks

:-)

Haha, it's £60 so about $75.

Would have been about $80- $90 pre brexit vote!

That's a good price for a plant that size regardless of the post Brexit pound. Does anyone know what species it is? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017, 2:47:07, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

IMG_2572.JPG

Rexcelsa1.JPG

@Pal Meir

So it has been a little bit since my lasts post about the two Rhapis that I have and questioning weather or not they are in fact both the same species, Excelsa. 

Since that time they have each put up a new leaf at the same time almost simultaneously.  With that, I have made some observations and I also have some photos to demonstrate them.  The observations made are that the older of the two palms, grows remarkably faster than the younger.  This was observed with the growth of the growth and opening of the new leaf spears.   The original post quoted here shows both palms, the day I brought the on in the lower pic home.  At that time that palm (the one I do not think is Excelsa)  had 4 leaves with one emergent spear.   The one that I had had prior  had many more leaves with a new emergent spear it had at the time i purchased it a few weeks or so prior.   That spear opened and a new one emerged, which is the one you see in the bottom pic of the quoted post.  That spear, caught up to and opened at the same time as the newer palm with 4 leaves.   That palm now has 5 leaves and the other 8.     

Now, each palm has since started pushing a new emergent spear which you will see in the new pics below.   Note, the one with 5 leaves (the one I do not think is excelsa) its spear has barely pushed much at all, while the other one,  has pushed its new spear which emerged at the same time, much much further.  Nearly 1/2 way out now.    So the growth rates are remarkably different with the palm with fewer and droopier leaves being much slower, while the one with more leaves and a bit stiffer leaves is growing much faster.   New pics showing this are below taken this morning.     One other thing to note, the palm that now has 5 leaves, its newest leave that opened reverted back to a less mature 3 leaflet fan.  The prior leaf had 4 leaflets.   Not sure why it did this, perhaps its a product of it having been removed from the mother plant and repotted to be sold.   

oderrahpis3.9.17.jpg

olderrahpisspear3.9.17.jpg

newerrahpis3.9.17.jpg

newerrahpisspear3.9.17.jpg

13 minutes ago, Laaz said:

They do well inground down here.

20170309_125627.jpg

the minimum temperature that you have had ?

GIUSEPPE