IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty palm still alive after sleeping 4 months under house

siege2050

Out of curiosity, because I store my banana plants under the house in winter. I cut the foliage off my potted majesty palms and put them under the house as well. Been since October and they are still alive and look like they did when I put them under there so they seem to be able to go dormant. Now my question is, how fast do Majesty palms replace leaves, I am trying to figure out if its worth it to do this each year if they are only going to have a few leaves by fall.

Edited by siege2050

To be honest, Ravenea rivularis is not the fastest palm in the world but is a little faster when given a lot of water. I have never heard of doing this, but I have a feeling it won't end well. Is bringing it in the house not possible?

I bought them on sale for 6.99 to experiment with as I am always trying to figure out how to overwinter things here. I was wanting to see if they would go dormant but I am actually a bit surprised they look so good and unaffected at this point lol. I will update in a couple of months when I see if they make it, but about 4 months so far. It probably stays in the 40s under the house in winter. I got the idea from when I was a kid, and saw a story on the local news about someone that overwintered palms in Tulsa Oklahoma by cutting off the palm foliage and letting them sleep under the house and they had these very tall palms. I dont know what kind they were, but they had fairly thin trunks and grew fast enough to replace the foliage during the year.

It will be interesting to see if they survive. Are the roots consistently moist? They grow fast for me especially in hot summers with a lot of rain. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

You may be on to something.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

8 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

It will be interesting to see if they survive. Are the roots consistently moist? They grow fast for me especially in hot summers with a lot of rain. 

Right now they are dry, but it's cool under there and humid I imagine. My Orinoco bananas go bare root for six months under there each winter. I really dont know much about Majesty Palms except they dont do very well indoors because of low humidity and spider mites, which is ironic as they are sold as house plants. It just seemed like a good candidate to try because of the price they sell for, you can get a pretty good size Majesty around here that's not too expensive so I wanted to try a small one first. I use some plants that are potted and sunk in the ground to create a tropical look in summer mixed with in ground planted ones. Majesties seems to have a light trunk till it gets bigger. If anyone knows of  a palm species that goes dormant in winter, grows foliage fairly fast, and does not have a trunk that weighs a ton when it gets around 6 to 8 feet please let me know. 

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Brad Mondel said:

Did your palm survive?

Yep, fronds are still slowly expanding. I have had it in a darker room but am fixing to move it in brighter light now that its warm outside. Its slow, but its alive lol. I will take a pic tomorrow if I can remember lol.

That would be awesome to see. If it makes it I could try that technique when mine gets too big to be inside. 

1 minute ago, Brad Mondel said:

That would be awesome to see. If it makes it I could try that technique when mine gets too big to be inside. 

I am not sure if it would grow fast enough to make it worth it, but its not been in very good light so that might be why its growing slowly. doesn't seem distressed at all though.

I almost forgot to take a pic so it was almost dark, I have been planting my Orinoco bananas all day. I have had them in dim light because I did not want to stress them after 6 months in darkness, then kinda forgot to move them into bright light so they have grown slow lol, but they are both alive. Even the small ones in each pot which I am guessing are separate plants are doing well which kinda surprised me, second spears are pushing as well. I will do this again this winter to see if they can do it more than one time.

Majesty Palm.jpg

Edited by siege2050

This is what they looked like after dormancy, or semi dormancy after six months in the dark.

majesty palm2.jpg

Looking good. They grow pretty fast for me so they just might recover well. When I used to live in zone 8b they would return in spring but they were stunted and eventually died. This measure protects them from the cold and may ensure survival. 

Mine seems scorched in the sun lately. I guess the new fronds will emerge and adapt to the higher light and heat levels.

Cheers, Barrie.

• 10 months later...