IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One way to do it...or at least try...

sashaeffer

I love Foxtails. Probably one of my favorite palms really. Not easy to get for me here in Nebraska but I have been able to buy two that I discovered at local nurseries both during the summer months. They love our summers here, hot and humid and they grow like crazy..until it turns cool in the fall and they quickly decline as they do NOT like being indoors. First one died pretty fast after brining indoors, 2nd one still alive and looks "dormant" and spending it's winter out in garage under suntube light with minimal water.

So two years ago I bought some seeds and thought that if I grew them from seed and they only knew indoor environment then I would have better luck. So here is the two that I have (gave a 3rd away to my son where it too is doing just fine indoors) Steady almost fast growers. I hope they keep this up an will look more palm tree like in a couple of years.

Also did the same with some Bizzy's so her is a pic of the nicer of the two. Like the Foxtails, the Bizzy's will never go outside.

DSCF9983.JPG

DSCF9988.JPG

• Upvote 1

Scott, how many potted palms do you know have in your indoor collection?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

It sounds cliche but I never getting bored to repeat it. PUMICE is an excellent medium and it allows transition  from indoor to outdoor enviroment and conversely without or minimum shock of Wodyetia seedlings. I grow in pumice 5 seedlings of Wodyetia (all together in a community pot), initially exclusively in pumice, and then I added to the medium progressively finer, albeit very light soil. 

6/22/2014

56ae9e49d4451_005.thumb.jpg.58077c3047b0

11/15/2014

56ae9e6aba2b9_0260.thumb.jpg.bd629881317

3/2/2015

56ae9e7b86c60_0602.thumb.jpg.823869c2526

7/20/2015

56ae9e9bc35a9_190.thumb.jpg.60e2c20aac95

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎57‎:‎08‎, Josh-O said:

Scott, how many potted palms do you know have in your indoor collection?

About 160 Josh.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

About 160 Josh.

Daaaaaaaaang!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

15 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

About 160 Josh.

Wow.......nice collection!

Want to share some pictures?

Here are some. In the middle of a blizzard so nice to be surrounded by palm trees!

Basement. Just two north facing windows so good for low light palms

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

• Upvote 1

Cold hardy species in pots overwintering in garage.

Have some others in a small greenhouse outside but not able to take pic due to storm.

DSCF9999.JPG

• Upvote 3

Dude...

This reminds me of my house when my wife was not yet in the picture.

Now I only have one plant room and some plants that have been "approved" may stand proud in the living room. I'm content with that though.

Plant/seedling room:

20160111_133306.thumb.jpg.04d4ecb1edeecf

Some plants inside for a few frosty nights:

20160105_231108.thumb.jpg.c37e1ca4f04353

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Oh trust me wife is NOT happy in the fall when they have to come inside. Also not happy when she sees a new shipping box in the trash from a new palm I've bought. I've been sneaky to the point of sending Phil at Jungle Music a cashiers check to hide purchases from the wife when she doesn't see the purchase in the check book lol

I simply tell her there are far worse hobbies that I could have.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sashaeffer said:

Oh trust me wife is NOT happy in the fall when they have to come inside. Also not happy when she sees a new shipping box in the trash from a new palm I've bought. I've been sneaky to the point of sending Phil at Jungle Music a cashiers check to hide purchases from the wife when she doesn't see the purchase in the check book lol

I tried believe me. But there's no hiding stuff from my wife. Luckily she supports me in doing the stuff I really want to...up to the point where a palmleaf blocks here vision to the television. That's the moment I better move the palm...or loose it. "Maybe you can cut off that leaf honey." ...wait...what?!

LOL!

And yeah. There are far worse hobbies, but any hobby has the potential to grow up to that point of irritation of the better half. Like with my other passion I tried to tell her that my flyrods are like her shoes...just can't seem to have enough... and there's always a better one out there. She's not buying it though.

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

18 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Funny!!!!

Kai, Schaeffer, you guys both put me to shame.

I was all proud of myself after the last round of houseplant tetris I played this weekend.  Nothing is really happy now that I'm back in an apartment.  I've only got the one large North-facing glass door, and then one smaller west facing window in the back bedroom.  Still, so far at least, I haven't lost anything.  And the combo of ambient window light plus grow lights is actually more light than when they were just in the basement last winter with no windows at all.

20160111_210957_zpsavj6cp9u.jpg

20160202_141729_zpsb53gueau.jpg

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎40‎:‎26‎, sashaeffer said:

This is what I always tell my girlfriend... There are FAR worse and more expensive hobbies out there. I've literally had to put my palm buying to a halt until more go in ground. Having them inside the house is just too much for me during the winter months... Especially the larger specimens I have. Yours seem really well placed, Scott.

Kai- LOL cut the palm leaf?!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Kai, Schaeffer, you guys both put me to shame.

I was all proud of myself after the last round of houseplant tetris

First of all: absolutely no shame in what you're doing! Looks great!

Second: gotta remember the houseplant tetris. Got me laughing pretty hard (mostly out of recognition).

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

NUTTY

TOTALLY

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2016, 2:20:27, Coco Bonsai said:

wow... nice collections....   I only has coconut trees for indoor....

228632_195725517139183_5325520_n.jpg

Very Impressive. How old are these four on your table?

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

32 minutes ago, JT in Japan said:

Very Impressive. How old are these four on your table?

JT

thank you, they are 16 months after germinating when this picture was taken and the next 4 months on my table before sold to other....   

On 3/1/2016 9:20:27, Coco Bonsai said:

wow... nice collections....   I only has coconut trees for indoor....

228632_195725517139183_5325520_n.jpg

228447_195725663805835_1588245_n.jpg

480524_447309561980776_626266096_n.jpg

12247108_1208086885884426_216068776582972286_n.jpg

1314_3232736034677_896901733_n.jpg

I wouldn't mind having only coconuts indoors...:D

On 3/4/2016, 10:19:30, Danilopez89 said:

I wouldn't mind having only coconuts indoors...:D

because this is "house of coco bonsai", so only "coco bonsai" there.....   ;)  :P

Phew!

Its a relief to see im not the only one being called "slightly disturbed" by the more sensible part of the relation. I'll hold off on making the appoitment at the psych.

I have app 400 palms in my house, spread over multiple rooms, including living room, garage, study and bedrooms. Most are seedlings or juveniles, and my study aka nursery takes on the looks of a plant nursery in winter. At least 12 species stay outside most of time and donot have to come in. A few ultratropicals dont come out at all.

After a few years she has now come to terms with my palmy madness, with me basically using the same arguments : "could be worse and more expensive", plus my own 2 versions: "I cant help it, its all Kai's fault" and "i could be next to you on the sofa all day instead of outdoors". The "No thanks" was as shocking as appreciated. Now she actually sometimes joins me on palm hunting trips and ive even tried to persuade here into a biennial - too much but a slight hesitance was definitely felt.

Resulting from the sheer lack of space we have also done away with Xmas tree concept. Instaed Ive used a chunky Cycas,  Rhapis and even a big container full of Chamaedorea  over the last few years as alternative. It looks a bit odd, but who cares.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, _Rob_ said:

Phew!

Its a relief to see im not the only one being called "slightly disturbed" by the more sensible part of the relation. I'll hold off on making the appoitment at the psych.

I have app 400 palms in my house, spread over multiple rooms, including living room, garage, study and bedrooms. Most are seedlings or juveniles, and my study aka nursery takes on the looks of a plant nursery in winter. At least 12 species stay outside most of time and donot have to come in. A few ultratropicals dont come out at all.

After a few years she has now come to terms with my palmy madness, with me basically using the same arguments : "could be worse and more expensive", plus my own 2 versions: "I cant help it, its all Kai's fault" and "i could be next to you on the sofa all day instead of outdoors". The "No thanks" was as shocking as appreciated. Now she actually sometimes joins me on palm hunting trips and ive even tried to persuade here into a biennial - too much but a slight hesitance was definitely felt.

Resulting from the sheer lack of space we have also done away with Xmas tree concept. Instaed Ive used a chunky Cycas,  Rhapis and even a big container full of Chamaedorea  over the last few years as alternative. It looks a bit odd, but who cares.

Absolutely priceless reply!

400 palms IN the house?  can't wait to show my wife this post so she doesn't feel so alone in the world.

One other reason she hates winter and so many come inside is that I save 20oz empty bottles that water came in and fill them up..over time with my RO drinking water and scatter them around the house to use for watering since I can' collect rain water during the winter. She probably hates that most of all especially when she goes to fill her large cup and there is almost no water left while it's making more.

I hope it helps Scott! :)

I dont expect she will be really exited, but a faint smile and a bit more understanding of our "deviation" might be the result....

My collection is a mix between yours and Hamals btw ...some bigger mainly in living including a 50L bizzie en 2 60L Chamaedorea, and a huge amount of seedlings, juveniles, trays and sowing material still upstairs in the study. There was a time last year when i had close to 30 species in my propagator...

Species count must now be around 100. The most worrying thing is that small stuff is growing ... Ive stopped trying to keep every seedling i raise, but sometimes i just cant bear the thought of throwing em in the bin.

The challenge here is on for a bigger yard with a greenhouse - im sure it will keep my relation more healthy.

Rob, you and I have the same problem.  It seems that I have made an unconscious promise to my plants, "If you sprout and live, I will keep you and try to make you thrive."  There are several "extras" roaming around the house now that I should have chucked for room or to reuse the pots, but they're still alive so they stay.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Amen to the keeping alive of what is alive or is intended to live.

The worst part is that ever since i started travelling warmer areas a lot a few years back, ive now discovered tropicals now too, and that means full ground is no option at all.

(i envie all of you that can grow stuff like Licuala, Nypa and Joey in their back yard :) 

On 01/02/2016, 22:27:28, sashaeffer said:

About 160 Josh.

Wut??:o

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>