IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea tuerckheimii in Pots

Pal Meir

Here's my (double) tuerckheimii. Got them in july 2015 from Floribunda as tiny 1 leaf seedlings. I have it in a normal draining plastic pot and the white pot around it for good looks. The white pot is on a saucer continuously filled with water to get the humidity around the plant a bit higher. It seems that I have finally won the war on spider mites.

20160624_054722.jpg

• Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Kai:

You won the first battle, amigo. You never really win the war against spider mites while growing this palm indoors.

Eternal vigilance is the key ;^)

J

2 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Kai:

You won the first battle, amigo. You never really win the war against spider mites while growing this palm indoors.

Eternal vigilance is the key ;^)

J

Yes I will keep monitoring for arachnids and once one is spotted a batallion of starship troopers will be deployed to kill some bugs on planet tuerckheimii before they set up shop.

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/6/2016, 10:15:46, Kai said:

Yes I will keep monitoring for arachnids and once one is spotted a batallion of starship troopers will be deployed to kill some bugs on planet tuerckheimii before they set up shop.

There is in the market a kind of systemic pesticide in form of paper arrows which are supposed to be stuck and buried in the soil near the growing plant...

• Upvote 1

On 24/6/2016, 6:56:39, Kai said:

Here's my (double) tuerckheimii. Got them in july 2015 from Floribunda as tiny 1 leaf seedlings. I have it in a normal draining plastic pot and the white pot around it for good looks. The white pot is on a saucer continuously filled with water to get the humidity around the plant a bit higher. It seems that I have finally won the war on spider mites.

20160624_054722.jpg

Since the first promoting factor for mites is the lack of air moisture, you can use a deeer saucer filled with water and a brick as a podium for the pot placed in the middle of the saucer.

19 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Since the first promoting factor for mites is the lack of air moisture, you can use a deeer saucer filled with water and a brick as a podium for the pot placed in the middle of the saucer.

I agree, when it's possible to improve the plants' health in any way, it will become less susceptible to pests and diseases. 

Maybe it's not very clear on the picture but the saucer is quite deep. It holds about 4 to 5 cm of water permanently. But I think it will be the surface area of the water that contributes more to the humidity surrounding the plant than the depth of the water. A wider bowl would be more effective than a deeper one I suspect.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, Kai said:

I agree, when it's possible to improve the plants' health in any way, it will become less susceptible to pests and diseases. 

Maybe it's not very clear on the picture but the saucer is quite deep. It holds about 4 to 5 cm of water permanently. But I think it will be the surface area of the water that contributes more to the humidity surrounding the plant than the depth of the water. A wider bowl would be more effective than a deeper one I suspect.

AGREE, I was just thinking with consideration of local conditions, a thin layer of water evaporates here and this time of the year quite fast :D

Edited by Phoenikakias

5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

@Kai Let your Tuerckheims be guarded by a giant Sabinaria baby, and all mites :rant: will flee by themselves! :greenthumb::D

578525875231a_N1501-042016-07-12P1020137

Oh how I wish that were true. The Sabinaria doesn't seem to be susceptible to the mites and does a great job in upgrading the collection to a higher level.

I see you have succesfully repotted the Sabinaria. 100% pine bark chips I think? It looks good, maybe I wil follow and do the same.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

9 hours ago, Kai said:

Oh how I wish that were true. The Sabinaria doesn't seem to be susceptible to the mites and does a great job in upgrading the collection to a higher level.

I see you have succesfully repotted the Sabinaria. 100% pine bark chips I think? It looks good, maybe I wil follow and do the same.

Not 100% pine bark, but a Seramis + pine bark mixture ca. 45:55; the reason was that the root system looked to me to weak. And there was too many soil that didn’t get dry.

Here some off-topic pics of the repotting procedure of the Sabinaria from a 15x20 cm pot into a small 12x12 cm one (at midnight 10/11 July):

5785f6b9846c8_01Sabinaria2016-06-20P1010

5785f6be116b8_02SabinariaIMG_8808.thumb.

5785f6c2e3130_03SabinariaIMG_8812.thumb.

5785f6c8825d4_04SabinariaP1020109.thumb.

5785f6cc24fa1_05SabinariaP1020114.thumb.

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Pal, is the word eophyll unique to palms? I know it means simply new leaf but can it be applied to other plants too?

Edited by Howeadypsis

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

11 minutes ago, Howeadypsis said:

Pal, is the word eophyll unique to palms? I know it means simply new leaf but can it be applied to other plants too?

Eophyll in botany: »in a seedling first leaf having a blade«; for all plants having leaves. It means »dawn leaf«, not new leaf.

Jay probably knows more than anyone I know about these plants, but I used to have a colony of these that had 12-18 inch stems. My mix was Canadian peat based. My well water is perfect and right around 7 pH. They don't like it when it gets hot, and it likes the shade with a little air flow. Back then, I had a lot of small Chamaedoreas and kept them together with the sulivaniorums and a few others. Someday I would love to grow some peacock colored sulivaniorums again. Anyway, back then, which is a good 20 years ago, I had propagating tables for starting cuttings which had sprayers that would spray a 5 second mist every 10 minutes. I rigged a fog head in the same manner for my little Chamaedoreas. I never had problems with insects.  Tom

On 13/07/2016, 16:57:03, Pal Meir said:

Eophyll in botany: »in a seedling first leaf having a blade«; for all plants having leaves. It means »dawn leaf«, not new leaf.

Yes Eos is the Greek god of new life.  Canon used it for their camera lens system.

Edited by Howeadypsis

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

On 13 July 2016 at 6:11:54 PM, Pal Meir said:

Not 100% pine bark, but a Seramis + pine bark mixture ca. 45:55; the reason was that the root system looked to me to weak. And there was too many soil that didn’t get dry.

Here some off-topic pics of the repotting procedure of the Sabinaria from a 15x20 cm pot into a small 12x12 cm one (at midnight 10/11 July):

Pal, where did you get Sabinaria seed? RPS?

how was the germination ? Easy? Rate?

2 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, where did you get Sabinaria seed? RPS?

how was the germination ? Easy? Rate?

I got the germinated seedling on the 1st photo in exchange for Lytocaryum itapebiense (and L insigne).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

I got the germinated seedling on the 1st photo in exchange for Lytocaryum itapebiense (and L insigne).

win-win deal ;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Nice graphic! Palms looking good! Very interesting to see how they grow. 

If you should be also interested in the germination history:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47216-chamaedorea-tuerckheimii-germination/

• 2 weeks later...

And here are all four happy together after a cooling OWW shower; even in Germany we had the last days some hot days with temps up to 36°C/97°F. B) (The brown stains on some leaves are caused by coffee; I had forgotten to dilute the second brew …) :wacko:

57c18af635b5e_N1501-042016-08-27P1020649

• Upvote 1

Pal:

Your seedlings look fantastic. As a former arabica coffee grower and exporter, I played around with composted coffee pulp, brewed coffee and coffee grounds over the years as a supplemental nutrient and for pest control. I like to keep an open mind about alternatives when informed growers swear by them.  I was never very impressed by the results, but certainly did no harm. Never tried it for spider mite control, but it does look like you are suppressing them with your overall cultural regimen. Given one and two leaf seedling intolerance to some miticides, but definite susceptibility to mites, may give it a try.

Brewed coffee chemical analyses are available online for interested parties. From an admittedly shaky memory, I recall light but significant N levels and K levels plus lots of micros.

J

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎11‎:‎54‎, Pal Meir said:

Pal, do you have a thread/discussion on your Sabinaria somewhere? Was changing out potting media what prompted you to repot? Great to see she does well with repotting! Also, what prompted you to tie her up? I just received my Sabinaria seedling from Floribunda and was to take as best care of her as possible :wub: Mine arrived from Floribunda potted in a fast draining media of black lava rock and what looks to be Nutricote. There is also something coarse and organic in the media but I haven't identified it yet!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, Missi said:

Pal, do you have a thread/discussion on your Sabinaria somewhere? Was changing out potting media what prompted you to repot? Great to see she does well with repotting! Also, what prompted you to tie her up? I just received my Sabinaria seedling from Floribunda and was to take as best care of her as possible :wub: Mine arrived from Floribunda potted in a fast draining media of black lava rock and what looks to be Nutricote. There is also something coarse and organic in the media but I haven't identified it yet!

There were some factors: (1) The seedling was planted too deep. (2) The pot was too big for a small seedling. (3) The soil mix was too soggy. (4) The roots were growing only on the bottom of the pot. — The rest you can see on the photos (on the bottom of the new pot is also a 1cm LECA layer). — Those old photos and newer ones are in the following threads:

The fast draining media of Floribunda are similar in effect to my mix. My recommendation for the size of a pot and the depth of the seedling you can see on my photos. Goog luck! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12 juin 2016 15:52:58, Pal Meir said:

Slender stem with strong roots:

575d68ec33030_N15012016-06-12IMG_8749.th

I love these strong roots, it shows so much vitality and hope for a bright futur!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Fall 2016 update of my Tuerckheim’s kindergarten: :greenthumb::D

58121ff52b505_N1501-042016-10-27P1020938

Baby 1 seems to be the strongest, it seems it has had a longer time growth but I believe they all belong to the same batch, isn't it?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

20 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

Baby 1 seems to be the strongest, it seems it has had a longer time growth but I believe they all belong to the same batch, isn't it?

Here the dates of the babies’ birthdays:

N°1501: 2015-10-22 from seed #10

N°1502: 2015-11-02 from seed #6

N°1503: 2015-11-07 from the very tiny seed #7

N°1504: 2015-11-24 from seed #1

581240d353e77_12Chamaedoreatuerckheimii2