IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2015/2016 in Europe

Alicante

So far in general I think the winter is been normal, maybe a bit warmer. We had a couple of cold days at the beginning of January and from the 24th to the 28th of January with low temps down to 2-3 degrees celsius. We had a lot of snow up on the highest mountains but after the 28th temps came back to normal. I was not in Cyprus when we had these cold days. I was with my family for holidays in Puerto de la Cruz in Tenerife. There I was told that the weather was a bit unusual this year. There was almost no rain since November and there was no snow on the top of the volcano Teide (We went on the tour there). The temps were about 23-24C in the day and no one day we had rain during our stay. I think the nights didn't go less than 15C. I saw a lot of palms there including coconuts.

When I came home I checked my palms but they didn't have any damage. Only the small Bismarckias became more purple but they look OK. Even my coconut had no damage when the strong wind opened some parts of the protection exposing it to these cold days.

February started more warm and two days ago we had 22C. Today the weather changed again and have rain but temps are around the normal for February.

• Upvote 2

At this moment is cold in most Europe, unless Spain and France:

zy5xdk.gif

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Also Sardinia and Sicily are not cold, but this no surprise. Bear also in mind that in Greece the microclimate can create a very considerable difference.

Looking at some weather data, Heraklion in Crete had some nice warm days in January around 22-23C. I've only been there in the summer so I'm not sure how is the weather during winter. It will be interesting to see what palms they grow there.

Absolute minimum and maximum temperatures in February soo far in Dubrovnik.

Screen_Shot_02_08_16_at_12_38_AM.png

Temperatures right now in Dubrovnik area at 12:45 am.

Screen_Shot_02_08_16_at_12_36_AM.png

Temperatures right now in whole Croatia.

Screen_Shot_02_08_16_at_12_37_AM.png

Absolute minimum and maximum temperatures in February soo far in Trsteno ( Dubrovnik ) where I live.

Screen_Shot_02_08_16_at_12_44_AM.png

Today is very hot in Central Europe:16atp90.gif

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

Quite mild in most Europe:

2cdba5e.gif

Here in my place those days are quite warm, specially the minimums. We arrived to 23ºC today, and the minimum was 17ºC

2432bea.jpg

Today was hot... 26.1ºC (78,98F) maximum and 19.8ºC (67,64F) minimum in Aguilas, at 37° 25' 2'' N: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=&l=7002Y&w=1&datos=img&f= 

Also several places from Valencian Community and Murcia region have surpassed 25ºC (77F) but one place which is a lot more rare to be this hot in this month is in a town located norther than 40ºN, (40º 13'N) which arrived to 25.5ºC (77,9F) today: http://www.avamet.org/mxarxa_resum.php?id=c05m117e20

2yl6w7m.gif

Hot again... Next days are expected to come with important rain, and a significant decline of maximum temperatures.

I hope this is true. Those last 2 months were totally dry (only a few rain drops in a couple of days) and it was sooo hot.

And this is not good for the cherries from the old rural towns. Agriculture is totally relevant for the economy in my city (Gandia) the agriculture is less than 1% of the economic importance and also it's 100% citric... but in my hometown the agriculture is the main source of about 15-20% of families! (lots of families run businesses or warehouses related to the agriculture while several work on the terrain).

And the rain and a bit of cold is a real hope... Cherries inflorate too early with soo much hot and they became unuseful.

Edited by pRoeZa*

12 minutes ago, pRoeZa* said:

2yl6w7m.gif

Hot again... I've been 1 week going on the streets day and night with shorts and even t-shirt on the central hours of the day... totally like I start to do from late March in any normal year. But this appears to change, next days are expected to come with important rain, and a significant decline of max. temps.

I hope this is true. Those last 2 months were totally dry (only a few rain drops in a couple of days) and it was sooo hot.

And this is not good for the cherries from the old rural towns. Agriculture is totally relevant for the economy in my city (Gandia) the agriculture is less than 1% of the economic importance and also it's 100% citric... but in my hometown (beautiful old typical town ^_^) the agriculture is the main source of about 20% of families! (several families run businesses or warehouses related to the agriculture while lots work on the terrain).

And the rain and a bit of cold is a real hope... Cherries bloom too early with soo much hot and they became unuseful.

Edited by pRoeZa*

This week the weather changed. The temps are higher than normal. The last few days the daily high is around 20-21C. Today at the place where I live it was up to 24C but the weather forecast sites show 20-21C. That's because the weather station is at the Paphos airport which is on the coast. I live about 3 miles more inland and it's hotter. The next couple of days the forecast shows 24C so at my place it might reach 26-27C. For the next 10 days they also predict high temps about 21C and unfortunately no rain. The humidity now is 87%. The low temps for Paphos this week will be about 11-13C with a couple of nights at 14C-16C.

Here we are bearing some hours with temperatures around -4ºC/24.8ºF and heavy frosts. The real winter has come now.

08053.gif

16 hours ago, Cikas said:

Southeastern Europe is right now warmer than North Africa.

Screen_Shot_02_16_16_at_09_43_PM.png

Do you are experiencing quite windy weather too? I ask this to you because the last week was a warm air mass in Spain (which I've been talking about those last days and let in Murcia 27.1ºC) but it was quite windy. I want to ask if the warm air mass that is affecting on South-East Europe right now it's the same that hit South-West Europe or it's another one? Here in Spain, Portugal and southern France (close to Spanish border) we are affected by a severe cold wave, according to Spanish weatherman's this is the most severe from this year. -6.5ºC in Avila today (Avila is located at the center-east of Spain, at about 1050m altitude) or -3.5ºC in Madrid for example (although Madrid is also far from the sea and at 650m altitude; but -3.5ºC is not very normal). 

Here it's truly affecting the maximum temperatures, minimums are quite normal instead. Today was the 2nd coldest day from 2016 (the 1st one was on January, reaching 5.4ºC some minutes in the official weather station); we arrived to 6ºC (42,8F) in some minutes, and this is the only temperature below the normal minimums in this cold wave here. The cold wave will affect until Sunday, but the forecasts from today to Sunday show 9-12ºC minimums and 14-18ºC maximums. If this is "the most severe" cold wave that will hit Spain this year (this according to weather pages from Spain) I don't want to see how will be the Spring and Summer. In any case I don't hope to be in any form like last year! 42,6ºC in May 2015 we were only 1,5ºC to break the all time record... Crazy weather and crazy global warming.

I've also seen the map that you've put before this one on the monday. Very warm too! I can see there May temperatures on places like Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia or Montenegro. 27ºC on Podgorica or 23ºC on Bucharest! AMAZING :blink: yesterday and the monday were broken various historic maximum temperatures in South-East Europe! Monday was broken the record on Sofia, Bulgaria also for example. Only some weeks ago Romania was experiencing the coldest winter in his history, -25ºC at Constanta sealine (Black Sea) while they broke records on Monday and yesterday... Amazing!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive Cikas! and thanks for all the users which have posted here too! We can make a great thread with information from various parts of Europe, and also we have another complete month officialy in Winter times... Crazy 2016. 

PS. Have you noticed that Wetterzentrale uses Europe's old map? Lol i can clearly see there the URSS :lol:. Those are the temps now in Europe:

2vak2us.gif

Edited by pRoeZa*

Yes, these past days are quite windy and rainy, at least here in southern Dalmatia. :) It seems that the cold wave affected the whole northern Europe that night.

Screen_Shot_02_17_16_at_02_15_AM.png

Screen_Shot_02_17_16_at_02_34_AM.png

Edited by Cikas

Last week at my place we had a couple of days up to 26C and this week temps remain warm at around 20-21C in the day and 10-12C at night till about the end of the month. The forecast shows that beginning of March, the temperature is rising a bit more. So far our winter in generally is a bit warmer than usual.

• Upvote 1

Today here was a beautiful sunny day, 23,5ºC maximum and 13,6ºC minimum. Here February remained about the normal average.

• Upvote 1

calm night here

20aax6b.jpg

Temperatures right now at 9:40 pm in Dubrovnik area.

Screen_Shot_02_25_16_at_09_33_PM.png

And in whole Croatia.

Screen_Shot_02_25_16_at_09_34_PM.png

Europe

Screen_Shot_02_25_16_at_09_38_PM.png

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

Here this week appears to be normal for this season: maximums from 18 to 25ºC and minimums from 10 to 14ºC for the next 5 upcoming days

Those are the temperatures of the last 7 days (during 27th and 28th February was a cold wave) :

Día

T. max. (°C)

(Hora)

T. min. (°C)

(Hora)

T. media (°C)

Racha (km/h)

V. max. (km/h)

Pr. 00 - 24h (mm)

Pr. 00 - 06h (mm)

Pr. 06 - 12h (mm)

Pr. 12 - 18h (mm)

Pr. 18 - 24h (mm)

22 feb 2016

14:30

02:20
15.3     0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
23 feb 2016

16:50

08:20
17.6     0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
24 feb 2016

11:20

07:50
16.2     0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
25 feb 2016

17:00

07:40
17.2     0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
26 feb 2016

14:40

06:50
15.2     0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
27 feb 2016

00:10

07:50
11.9     0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
28 feb 2016

12:10

06:10
11.3     0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

And today remained quite normal; the minimum was 9.6ºC and the maximum 19.3ºC

Edited by pRoeZa*

So far the temps the last week remained around 20-22C in the day and 10-12C at night. There is a difference from our weather station which is located at the airport (near the sea) and my place. On 29 of February the forecast was showing 24C in the day and 9 at night. I recorded here 27C maximum and 11C minimum. Yesterday the forecast was showing 27C max but at my place was 29C. The minimum I didn't check but at 07:30am today in the morning the temp was already 24C. It must be some warm mass of air affecting the area here in the eastern Mediterranean. It happens sometimes this time of the year.

Here yesterday was also warmer than normal. By the end of the week the maximum temperatures will be 3-4ºC lower than those days, but the minimums will remain above 10ºC. The maximum recorded in Spain yesterday was 28.9ºC/84.1F although a few amateur/non-official stations surpassed 30ºC/86F.

The warmest big cities were Murcia (28ºC/82.4F) and Valencia (27.5ºC/81.5F), both recorded on the official stations. Here were 25.6ºC/78.1F in the official station and 27ºC/80.6F in my friend's station. It's not even the start of the Spring and most trees are inflorating and opening their leaves by now. Even at 700/800m altitude zones the flowers of the almonds have fallen, while this is normal at coastline to late February but far from normality at such altitude places. Quite strange 2016! Today here the predicted maximum is 21ºC/69.8F, at this moment there are 18ºC/64.4F and tomorrow is expected 24ºC/75.2F.

2evvsj5.jpg

Here is an interesting article (in Spanish) about the early infloration of this year; it happened in overall Spain, not only the mountains near here: http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2647181/0/almendros-flor/adelantados-invierno/altas-temperaturas/ 

Edited by pRoeZa*
Edited to add the temperature map

Finally the Thursday the maximum was 21.0ºC exactly and the minimum was 13.2ºC. The maximum was the same as the prediction :blink:

Here are the temperatures of this current month:

01/03 : 18.9ºC / 9.5ºC

02/03 : 25.6ºC / 14.8ºC

03/03 : 21.0ºC / 13.2ºC

04/03 : 25.3ºC / 10.5ºC

05/03 : 18.9ºC / 11.2ºC

06/03 : 16.8ºC / 12.4ºC

It's expected some rain for tomorrow, and tomorrow and the Tuesday will be cooler days (in max. temperatures, the same that happened today) and from the Wednesday to the end of the predictions (10-14 days predictions) most sites show all sunny days and maximums ranging from 19 to 25ºC and minimums ranging from 11 to 14ºC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/3/2016 17:14:48, Phoenikakias said:

@pRoeZa* do you grow a Thrinax in your garden? With such temps you should!

I don't have any Thrinax buddy. I will try to get one from a sprout in a local nursery!