IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2015/2016 in Europe

Alicante

Thread to talk about the Winter 2015/2016 in all Europe :)

I will maintain updated this thread with temperatures and information about all Europe, via Wetterzentrale and weather.com , anyways, it's very grateful if any other European user enters to tell how it's the Winter in his zone/area/country ^_^ , mostly because a lot of European users have their own weather stations, recordings, etc... We started the winter of 2016 like in Spring, in almost all south Europe.

But, Winter officialy started in 21 December 2015, and the first week and a couple of days of the Winter it was hot in all Europe... In my zone for example we had most days with maximums above 20ºC and unless 1 day, in all the other days the minimums were above 11ºC.

24wc5g7.jpg

Those were the temperatures of the day of the New Year at 9 AM in the morning:

2gx4ndx.gif

It will dramatically change from tomorrow. It will change in all Europe. It gonna be cold from Galicia to the border of Turkey with Greece. At this moment:

11tmnmt.gif

From tomorrow cold begins... I'll put as examples Munich, Thessaloniki, Maastricht, Rome, Ljublana, Budapest, Madrid and Alicante:

Munich: 4/0 today, 2/-2 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected -3/-14ºC

Thessaloniki: 15/8 today, 16/11 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected 4/-1ºC

Maastricht: 4/1 today, 3/-1 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected -3/-7ºC

Rome: 14/10 today, 13/4 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected 6/-1ºC

Ljubljana: 2/0 today, 2/-5 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected -2/-9ºC

Budapest: 7/1 today, 3/-2 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected -3/-8ºC

Madrid: 10/2 today, 9/0 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected 11/2ºC

Alicante: 18/12 today, 13/6 tomorrow... and in 5 days is expected 16/8ºC so here in Spain the cold wave is hard affecting us today, tomorrow and Saturday; the best example is Madrid, Alicante normally remains quite warm. In Alicante the minimum temperatures appear to be normal for January (8-9ºC) but the maximum temperatures are away from being normal. From tomorrow, the maximums will be 14-15-16 and for mid January the normal average maximums are 17-18-19 , making the average about 18ºC , but in those days the average maximum will be like 15ºC which is plenty colder than normal...

I'll keep updating with more places and Europe map weathers as the one from above. Contributions from any user are grateful from my part. Kind regards!

Edited by pRoeZa*

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Temperatures right now at 2:55 am in Dubrovnik area ( Croatia ) in Celsius.

Screen Shot 01-15-16 at 02.55 AM.PNG

Edited by Cikas

1 hour ago, Cikas said:

Temperatures right now at 2:55 am in Dubrovnik area ( Croatia ) in Celsius.

Screen Shot 01-15-16 at 02.55 AM.PNG

Great to see you here Cikas :greenthumb: , how is going this Winter in Dubrovnik? At this moment was warmer or colder than normal?

Edited by pRoeZa*

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

At this moment significant lower temperatures than yesterday in Spain, but still mild:

347xxyv.gif

If what they say is true, the night from the Saturday to the Sunday will be the coldest day of the year, with a expected minimum of 4.5ºC

Here are the official temperatures fron the last 7 days and today from the AEMET (Spanish Meteo Agency) station near here:

8/01  20.613.2

9/01  22.912.8

10/01  21.714.1

11/01  21.813.9

12/01  17.6 11.1

13/01  16.5 7.9

14/01  19.49.0

15/01  15.8  /  11.6

It makes an average of maximums of 20,07ºC for the last 7 days (without today) and minimums of 11,72ºC.

Edited by pRoeZa*

Temperatures right now at 2:10 am.

Screen Shot 01-16-16 at 02.08 AM.PNG

Maximum temperature in Dubrovnik was 14.1°C.

Screen Shot 01-16-16 at 02.12 AM.PNG

Edited by Cikas

Temperatures right now at 2:30 am. It is colder than yesterday.

Screen Shot 01-17-16 at 02.33 AM.PNG

Edited by Cikas

Today is (at the moment) the coldest day from the year here.

6.2ºC has the official station at this moment while it touched 5.4ºC at 12 AM. In those last 4 hours the temp. kept rising slightly.

Proeza,

Is most of Europe having a mild winter?  What are the seawater temps there in the Atlantic and Med compared to normal?  Our seawater temps here on the Texas Coast are running a couple of degrees F above normal (58F and it is normally about 56F this time of year).

18 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Proeza,

Is most of Europe having a mild winter?  What are the seawater temps there in the Atlantic and Med compared to normal?  Our seawater temps here on the Texas Coast are running a couple of degrees F above normal (58F and it is normally about 56F this time of year).

It was like cycles, in central and north europe was mild and then cold by the end of the year. Then mild, some cold days and now normal temperatures in most Europe. The north of Europe is having really cold, and it's colder in places like Denmark; but UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, France etc are experiencing normal temperatures for this date. In fact places of the southern french coast like Toulouse or Nice have been really warmer than normal , in Toulouse the normal minimum average for January is 2.4ºC (36,32ºF) and only today is at 2ºC there, all the minimums have been between 5 and 8ºC, which is from 2 times to 3 times warmer than normal.

In the south of Europe (unless Cyprus) now is colder than normal too. Here in Spain yesterday was the 1st time when the real cold hit us (in the last night we touched 4ºC (39,2ºF) which is half of the normal averages), but this happened because we have a cold wave affecting us. Now it's going to the East of Europe, in Italy appears to be even harder, registering at 23 UTC (11 PM) some coastal and nearby coastal places with temperatures below 0ºC (32ºF)

33f9gme.gif

In this night and tomorrow's night is gonna be the coldest nights in the south of Europe at the moment (unless Spain, which had them yesterday and today) , tomorrow here in my place is expected a 10ºC minimum (50ºF) and 19ºC maximum (66,2ºF). Regards!

9 minutes ago, Cikas said:

Yes this night is the coldest night soo far in Dubrovnik also. Temperatures right now at 2:20am.

Screen Shot 01-18-16 at 02.23 AM.PNG

what is the name of the website? I like it, it has more temperatures which are in places outside Croatia ? 

Regards!

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎56‎:‎21‎, pRoeZa* said:

It was like cycles, in central and north europe was mild and then cold by the end of the year. Then mild, some cold days and now normal temperatures in most Europe. The north of Europe is having really cold, and it's colder in places like Denmark; but UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, France etc are experiencing normal temperatures for this date. In fact places of the southern french coast like Toulouse or Nice have been really warmer than normal , in Toulouse the normal minimum average for January is 2.4ºC (36,32ºF) and only today is at 2ºC there, all the minimums have been between 5 and 8ºC, which is from 2 times to 3 times warmer than normal.

In the south of Europe (unless Cyprus) now is colder than normal too. Here in Spain yesterday was the 1st time when the real cold hit us (in the last night we touched 4ºC (39,2ºF) which is half of the normal averages), but this happened because we have a cold wave affecting us. Now it's going to the East of Europe, in Italy appears to be even harder, registering at 23 UTC (11 PM) some coastal and nearby coastal places with temperatures below 0ºC (32ºF)

33f9gme.gif

In this night and tomorrow's night is gonna be the coldest nights in the south of Europe at the moment (unless Spain, which had them yesterday and today) , tomorrow here in my place is expected a 10ºC minimum (50ºF) and 19ºC maximum (66,2ºF). Regards!

Thanks, that gives me a better perspective of what's going on over there.  Are places along the southern shores of Cyprus and Malta mild enough in the winter time to grow coconut palms?

Cold in most Europe...

122m72d.gif

2 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Thanks, that gives me a better perspective of what's going on over there.  Are places along the southern shores of Cyprus and Malta mild enough in the winter time to grow coconut palms?

I don't know any coconut there, they don't support the winters, they are a bit chill. Malta has very mild low temperatures, but the high remain too mild too.

Malta is a small and the temperatures are very similar on the coastline. In Malta island (the biggest island, the one from the south) in the center of the island, from the north to the south coast there are like 20 miles in a straight line. I don't think that they differ very much.

Someone from Malta can say this better than me, I only can refer to Internet data; I found the climate chart of Valetta on the Wikipedia article of the city, it's the official one from the National Statistics Office of Malta. According to this climate chart (link) January and February highs and lows are 15.2ºC / 9.2ºC (59,4 / 48,6ºF) in January and 15.5ºC / 9.3ºC (59,9 / 48,7ºF)

Also March, is slightly colder than December, 16,7ºC / 10,1ºC (62,1 / 50,2ºF) in March (13.4ºC/56,1ºF average) while the average of December is 13.8ºC/56,8ºF. The winter maximums are too chill for a coconut I think, because 5 months in a year the maximum averages are under 20ºC (68ºF).

The southernmost coast of Spain and southernmost coast of Cyprus have the warmest winters of Europe if we talk about maximum temperatures. In minimum temperatures, Malta is also included, and also is included the southernmost coast of Sicily and Lampedusa; I think that in the southernmost islands of Greece the low temperatures during winters have to be really mild.

Ceuta is located at the northernmost point of Africa (35º 54'N) it's located at exactly the same latitude as Valletta in Malta, and only a bit higher than Cyprus (the southernmost coast of Cyprus it's at 34º 40'N) , here is the climate chart of Ceuta:

33cls3b.jpg

It has the mildest winter temperatures for an European city located in the Mediterranean coast, but I've never heard about Cocos out there.

And a bit of Off Topic :P (sorry), but I want to show you some kinds of palms which you can find on the southernmost coast of Spain. I've used those photos beofre in another thread, so I only have to copy them here. 

I've been watching the climate chart of a city where some of those palms are planted (Fuengirola city) and in December the minimums averaged about 14ºC (57,2ºF) while maximums were above 20ºC (68ºF) and now in January, even after the first cold wave, the temperatures didn't go below 10.7ºC (51,3ºF)... and it's at more than 36ºN latitude...

In the warmest zones you can find no cocos but yes to lots of Tropical species: (the photos were made in 21 March, just after the entire Winter)

P1010209.JPG

P1010198.JPG

P1010172.JPG

010320102120.jpg

Those ones were maded in different dates:

010320102117.jpg

14539312283_c066ab2467_b.jpg

DSC_0511.JPG

cqs1308061527n.JPG

527693dd067ff.JPG

527696356010f.JPG

52769599800d0.JPG

2cyo2s7.jpg

er0k2b.jpg

Edited by pRoeZa*

And returning to the topic, here are the predictions in my zone for the next days: 

2r5xg5i.png

45 minutes ago, pRoeZa* said:

I don't know any coconut there, they don't support the winters, they are a bit chill. Malta has very mild low temperatures, but the high remain too mild too.

Malta is a small and the temperatures are very similar on the coastline. In Malta island (the biggest island, the one from the south) in the center of the island, from the north to the south coast there are like 20 miles in a straight line. I don't think that they differ very much.

Someone from Malta can say this better than me, I only can refer to Internet data; I found the climate chart of Valetta on the Wikipedia article of the city, it's the official one from the National Statistics Office of Malta. According to this climate chart (link) January and February highs and lows are 15.2ºC / 9.2ºC (59,4 / 48,6ºF) in January and 15.5ºC / 9.3ºC (59,9 / 48,7ºF)

Also March, is slightly colder than December, 16,7ºC / 10,1ºC (62,1 / 50,2ºF) in March (13.4ºC/56,1ºF average) while the average of December is 13.8ºC/56,8ºF. The winter maximums are too chill for a coconut I think, because 5 months in a year the maximum averages are under 20ºC (68ºF).

The southernmost coast of Spain and southernmost coast of Cyprus have the warmest winters of Europe if we talk about maximum temperatures. In minimum temperatures, Malta is also included, and also is included the southernmost coast of Sicily and Lampedusa; I think that in the southernmost islands of Greece the low temperatures during winters have to be really mild.

Ceuta is located at the northernmost point of Africa (35º 54'N) it's located at exactly the same latitude as Valletta in Malta, and only a bit higher than Cyprus (the southernmost coast of Cyprus it's at 34º 40'N) , here is the climate chart of Ceuta:

33cls3b.jpg

It has the mildest winter temperatures for an European city located in the Mediterranean coast, but I've never heard about Cocos out there.

And a bit of Off Topic :P (sorry), but I want to show you some kinds of palms which you can find on the southernmost coast of Spain. I've used those photos beofre in another thread, so I only have to copy them here. 

I've been watching the climate chart of a city where some of those palms are planted (Fuengirola city) and in December the minimums averaged about 14ºC (57,2ºF) while maximums were above 20ºC (68ºF) and now in January, even after the first cold wave, the temperatures didn't go below 10.7ºC (51,3ºF)... and it's at more than 36ºN latitude...

In the warmest zones you can find no cocos but yes to lots of Tropical species: (the photos were made in 21 March, just after the entire Winter)

P1010209.JPG

P1010198.JPG

P1010172.JPG

010320102120.jpg

Those ones were maded in different dates:

010320102117.jpg

14539312283_c066ab2467_b.jpg

DSC_0511.JPG

cqs1308061527n.JPG

527693dd067ff.JPG

527696356010f.JPG

52769599800d0.JPG

2cyo2s7.jpg

er0k2b.jpg

Those are some really beautiful palms.

Last night/morning was the coldest soo far in Dubrovnik this winter.

Minimal temperature in Dubrovnik was 0°C.

Minimal at my place Trsteno was 0.6°C

Trsteno

Screen_Shot_01_19_16_at_02_59_PM_001.png

Dubrovnik

Screen_Shot_01_19_16_at_02_59_PM.png

Screen_Shot_01_19_16_at_03_13_PM.png

Edited by Cikas

Croatian volcanic island of Palagruza was the warmest part of the Croatia.

Minimal temperature there was 3.6°C.

Screen_Shot_01_19_16_at_03_23_PM.png

Screen_Shot_01_19_16_at_03_25_PM.png

1 hour ago, Cikas said:

Croatian volcanic island of Palagruza was the warmest part of the Croatia.

Minimal temperature there was 3.6°C.

Screen_Shot_01_19_16_at_03_23_PM.png

Screen_Shot_01_19_16_at_03_25_PM.png

Never, never in my life I would think that Palagruza would have a meteo station. Very good to know! please keep updating us with more info ^_^ 

In my situation for example I don't know very much about Croatia... so I find really interesting to see the temps out there. 

There is a difference between Dubrovnik stations, right? There is one which always is colder than the other 2.

Edited by pRoeZa*

27 minutes ago, pRoeZa* said:

Never, never in my life I would think that Palagruza would have a meteo station. Very good to know! please keep updating us with more info ^_^ 

In my situation for example I don't know very much about Croatia... so I find really interesting to see the temps out there. 

There is a difference between Dubrovnik stations, right? There is one which always is colder than the other 2.

Yes, that is Petka ( hill ). Station is on the top of that hill.

It is always colder there because of the altitude.

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

Temps in Europe at this moment:

xfdt2p.gif

Minimal temperatures these days where warmer.

Absolute maximum and minimum temperature in the last 7 days.

Dubrovnik

Screen_Shot_01_21_16_at_08_51_PM.png

Temperatures right now at 9:00 pm

Screen_Shot_01_21_16_at_08_50_PM.png

Edited by Cikas

Temperatures in Europe at this moment:

25guq95.gif

The UK is extremely warm for this date of the year...

2n1b3h5.gif

Edited by pRoeZa*

Minimal and Maximal temperatures today, in the last 7 days and in the whole month January ( soo far ) in Dubrovnik.

Screen_Shot_01_27_16_at_05_20_PM.png

Temperatures right now at 5:30 pm in Dubrovnik.

Screen_Shot_01_27_16_at_05_21_PM.png

Screen_Shot_01_27_16_at_05_22_PM.png

In Europe at this hour:

2chvpdl.gif

So far, the greatest hit on my palms has been delivered by the cold spell right in the beginning of January! I suppose that palms were caught by this cold with 'pants down', meaning they had not fallen yet in to winter dormancy, because of the previously dominating high temps. But even so damage has a strange pattern. Most of my Pritchardias had been damaged but the growing point is fine. Also one leaf of Archontophoenix alexandrae shows damage. On the other hand my Chrysalidocarpus, my Kentia, my Thrinax radiata, my Syagrus picrophylla, my Coccothrinax miraguama, my Arenga pinnata - to name some of the most tender palms I grow- show absolutely no damage. That is strange, because subsequent cold spells are supposed to have been slightly stronger! Also the newly planted Beccariophoenix alfredii (clump of three individuals) is perfectly healthy. I suppose the low humidity and absensce of considerable rainfall, helps plants to overcome winter easier.  

This has been a mild winter here too. We have had a couple of december nights with temperatures between 3 and 5 celsius degrees, without rainfall. Since then, the lower temperatures were never less than 6ºC. But with high rainfall rate. As never had happened before at this time of the year, so far none of my palms is showing any damage evidence. Instead, almost all the tender stuff, like archontophoenix, prichardia, euterpe edulis or dypsis decarii, are pushing new leaves. I wish this untimely growth wont be crushed by february late winter freeze temperatures.

• Upvote 2

The same here, mild winter, but too dry. From November to now, only 8 liters. 

This dry and warm weather is fantastic for my palms.

My banana trees always stops in December and stars growing in march-april. This year are opening new leaves in January.

Today for example, was a cool day, low 11° and high 17°.

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 2

Today is sunny in most southern Europe!

23so44.gif

Temperatures in Dubrovnik right now at 6:50 pm.

Screen_Shot_02_01_16_at_06_45_PM.png

Minimum and Maximum temperatures in the whole Croatia today.

Screen_Shot_02_01_16_at_06_44_PM.png

Screen_Shot_02_01_16_at_06_46_PM.png

Screen_Shot_02_01_16_at_06_47_PM.png