IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Kai,

many luck for your pollination. If you finally have some seeds left, I would purchase a few and try to grow one or two.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

4 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Kai,

many luck for your pollination. If you finally have some seeds left, I would purchase a few and try to grow one or two.

Eckhard

Hey Eckhard, if this pollination leeds to viable seeds, I'm sure we can work something out.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a nice indoor L. Wedd flowering right now. After going through this great thread, I want to give it a go trying to pollinate the flowers. 

I do have one question. Are you removing the male male flowers as soon as they fully open, or are you waiting or the male flowers to fall naturally then collect?

5 hours ago, LoamWolf said:

I have a nice indoor L. Wedd flowering right now. After going through this great thread, I want to give it a go trying to pollinate the flowers. 

I do have one question. Are you removing the male male flowers as soon as they fully open, or are you waiting or the male flowers to fall naturally then collect?

I let them fall off naturally into the collecting bag. The dried fallen off male flowers still contain pollen and this keeps falling out. I just go through the bag with pollen and male flowers with the pencil when pollinating.

Good luck!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Thanks for the feedback Kai!

Do you think that removing the male flowers form the inflorescence after they have fully opened and placing in a vented container would work as well? 

2 minutes ago, LoamWolf said:

Thanks for the feedback Kai!

Do you think that removing the male flowers form the inflorescence after they have fully opened and placing in a vented container would work as well? 

Yeah sure. I don't see why not but I also don't see the point in doing so.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

3 minutes ago, Kai said:

Yeah sure. I don't see why not but I also don't see the point in doing so.

I just didn't want to risk condensation inside the bag, which I realize is very unlikely, but figured id ask the question about removing the flowers. 

6 minutes ago, LoamWolf said:

I just didn't want to risk condensation inside the bag, which I realize is very unlikely, but figured id ask the question about removing the flowers. 

That's a good point. To prevent condensation and fungus, I swap bags every other day. This way I have one bag on the the palm and one bag open and drying the flowers and pollen. 

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

My youngest Lyto weddell is showing its first signs of inlorescence: :o

155043045_N13082019-09-02IMG_9657.thumb.jpg.7bc706400c10d5b39dfe81726874921f.jpg

Alright, I'm buying new batch of seeds because of you :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It´s unbelievable all the information and love for this tiny palm I have found in this forum. Thanks so much for all the effort and sharing.

If you have any suggestions about best "propagator" I already have some coconuts to grow. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any links to where one can buy small lytocaryum weddelium seedlings or seeds in the US?  I’m having a lot of troubling finding any. 

6 minutes ago, Jeronimo said:

Anyone have any links to where one can buy small lytocaryum weddelium seedlings or seeds in the US?  I’m having a lot of troubling finding any. 

Try Phil @ Jungle Music. That's where I bought mine. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeronimo said:

I think I bought them late 2020. They were in band size pots, seeds still attached. They're always indoors under a grow light, probably don't get enough light tbh. They're so elegant though. I bought a bigger one off eBay, seller did not clarify it was shipped bare root and their roots are sensitive. It died really quick. @PsyPalm bought one from Wekeiva Foliage but last time I asked, they were out. Floribunda usually has them but $100 min order plus you're paying for 3 day shipping from Hawaii. 

IMG_20220628_181935.jpg

IMG_20220628_181954.jpg

30 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Try Phil @ Jungle Music. That's where I bought mine. 

Thanks for that info. Just called, sadly Phil doesn’t have any weddelium and doesn’t expect any anytime soon. 

15 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I think I bought them late 2020. They were in band size pots, seeds still attached. They're always indoors under a grow light, probably don't get enough light tbh. They're so elegant though. I bought a bigger one off eBay, seller did not clarify it was shipped bare root and their roots are sensitive. It died really quick. @PsyPalm bought one from Wekeiva Foliage but last time I asked, they were out. Floribunda usually has them but $100 min order plus you're paying for 3 day shipping from Hawaii. 

IMG_20220628_181935.jpg

IMG_20220628_181954.jpg

I’ve not seen any on eBay or Etsy for the last couple of years. It’s like all the weddelium seeds and seedlings have disappeared. 

Just now, Jeronimo said:

I’ve not seen any on eBay or Etsy for the last couple of years. It’s like all the weddelium seeds and seedlings have disappeared. 

They pretty much have. 

Sounds like someone's making an order at floribunda.xyz lol. Get that AmEx out. 

Martinr2811 on ebay sold 2 in the last 2 weeks.  Right now he has Lytocaryum hoehnei for sale.

38 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Martinr2811 on ebay sold 2 in the last 2 weeks.  Right now he has Lytocaryum hoehnei for sale.

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure he's the one that advertised the potted Lyto then shipped me the bare root plant that lasted a month. 

Edit: yeah. It's him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure he's the one that advertised the potted Lyto then shipped me the bare root plant that lasted a month. 

Edit: yeah. It's him. 

Yikes, I saw that eBay auction and I think it ended up selling for over $200. Hope it survives for whomever bought it. 

10 minutes ago, Jeronimo said:

Yikes, I saw that eBay auction and I think it ended up selling for over $200. Hope it survives for whomever bought it. 

It won't. I'm not badmouthing anyone, don't get me wrong. But when you advertise a potted plant and ship a bare root plant that reacts slowly therefore preventing negative feedback DOT DOT FREAKING DOT 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:55 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

It won't. I'm not badmouthing anyone, don't get me wrong. But when you advertise a potted plant and ship a bare root plant that reacts slowly therefore preventing negative feedback DOT DOT FREAKING DOT

I've bought several things from him off of eBay, Dypsis Cabadae, Leucothrinax Morrisii, and a couple of Coccothrinax back in 2019.  The listings all say bare-rooted in sphagnum in the description.  Mine have all grown great from him, but of course your mileage may vary.