IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

3 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Kai,

if you pollinate with same species and have some seeds left I would be lucky to grow one or two of them. Maybe the pollen from Butia and Sygrus is not really compatible?

Have you ever heard about these crosses?

Eckhard

Yes Lytocaryum wedd x Syagrus romanzoffiana has been done before. Butia x Lytocaryum hoehnei has been done as well but I haven't heard of L x B before.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Don't give up on hybridizing! I would have been a totally feat to archive it on your first trials but it's a difficult process. It would be awesome know how many attempts were used to get the first batch of seeds of Lyto X Syagrus (I bet many).

08053.gif

6 minutes ago, Sanips said:

Don't give up on hybridizing! I would have been a totally feat to archive it on your first trials but it's a difficult process. It would be awesome know how many attempts were used to get the first batch of seeds of Lyto X Syagrus (I bet many).

I agree! I will pollinate the next inflo (#6) with regular Lyto pollen just because I want to see those amazing seeds grow again.

Inflo #7 is also in the making and for that one I will defrost the remaining Queen pollen and have another go.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So far all hybridizing attempts on my Lyto have failed. Not one seed has taken the Butia or Queen pollen. I have decided to return to pollinating with same species Lyto pollen again just to keep the palm fruiting in all its glory. Maybe somewhere in the future I will give it another shot, but getting your hands on fresh pollen isn't easy.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

16 minutes ago, Kai said:

So far all hybridizing attempts on my Lyto have failed. Not one seed has taken the Butia or Queen pollen. I have decided to return to pollinating with same species Lyto pollen again just to keep the palm fruiting in all its glory. Maybe somewhere in the future I will give it another shot, but getting your hands on fresh pollen isn't easy.

Thanks for an update :) I was just about  to ask for photos, It's been 2 months since last post. Shame that hybridizing didn't end with success :(  But then, is there something more adorable than pure L. Weddellianum?  :)

47 minutes ago, Kai said:

Thank you to keep us informed. What a bummer! Maybe Lytos aren't good mummies with foreign pollen despite its closeness to Syagrus genus. Well, let's see if new hybridization techniques appear (I'm very intrigued about that guy we saw on fb succeeding on Elaeis x cocos).  

08053.gif

6 minutes ago, Sanips said:

Thank you to keep us informed. What a bummer! Maybe Lytos aren't good mummies with foreign pollen despite its closeness to Syagrus genus. Well, let's see if new hybridization techniques appear (I'm very intrigued about that guy we saw on fb succeeding on Elaeis x cocos).  

Maybe bad mummies, but I suspect it might have something to do with my palm being a potted indoor specimen as well. Allthough it's possible to get some fruits to fully form into viable seeds, it is probably kind of a struggle to fullfill it's energy (light) and recource (soil stuff) needs as it doesn't fully mimics its natural circumstances. Maybe the flowers are sooner to reject foreign species pollen than an individual which has everything around its roots and leaves for wich it evolved.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have just caught up with this thread and im gutted the hybrid attempts didnt work. I cant imagine what a lytoxjubaea would look like though haha

dont give up, try pollen from different butias because i know some butias are picky too when hybridising so maybe your lyto is just needing a different specimens pollen...

the fact that it looks healthy and sets seeds normally makes me think its just not liking that particular pollen....

In summer i will send you some catarinensis pollen if you are willing to try again

2 hours ago, Jamesasb said:

i have just caught up with this thread and im gutted the hybrid attempts didnt work. I cant imagine what a lytoxjubaea would look like though haha

dont give up, try pollen from different butias because i know some butias are picky too when hybridising so maybe your lyto is just needing a different specimens pollen...

the fact that it looks healthy and sets seeds normally makes me think its just not liking that particular pollen....

In summer i will send you some catarinensis pollen if you are willing to try again

Thanks James, the fact that the Butia and Queen pollen didn't produce any seeds was a real bummer. Just when I thought the pollination might have been succesfull I had to witness all the little seeds falling one by one.

With your kind offer of fresh pollen I can't resist on giving hybridizing another try upcoming summer. By then the two latest inflo's will have produced some regular seeds and I expect more new flower spikes to have emerged. Let's keep in touch!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

yes definatly, i also have some other dwarf butias that reallyshould start flowering soon, they are in big pots but im sure i could get them inside and put them in a grow tent. . if they do flower maybe we could do a pollen trade.....infact im thinking of digging up my caterinensis  to squeeze some more inflorescences out of it. its still a very small palm

Edited by Jamesasb

On 20-1-2018 23:54:54, Jamesasb said:

yes definatly, i also have some other dwarf butias that reallyshould start flowering soon, they are in big pots but im sure i could get them inside and put them in a grow tent. . if they do flower maybe we could do a pollen trade.....infact im thinking of digging up my caterinensis  to squeeze some more inflorescences out of it. its still a very small palm

I sent you a pm James :greenthumb:

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

ok, i have a plan, im going to replant most of my dwarf butias in my large polytunnel that way we should be able to get them to set seed. I  have a couple with spathas now, the lowest they have had is -3C this winter, i wonder if they will survive or if we need to wait for fresh ones in spring...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jamesasb said:

i have ordered a butia x lytocaryum from patric  so it seems its possible with butia as the mother at least.

Yes, in theory it's possible. At least with Lytocaryum hoehnei as I believe this cross of Patrick was made with hoehnei. Nice score!

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I have the Butia x Lyto and the Syagrus x Lyto. The former is much more vigorous, but a bit of a disgusting pig. We’ll see how it develops but it is not the most attractive palm in my yard at this stage. 

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I have the Butia x Lyto and the Syagrus x Lyto. The former is much more vigorous, but a bit of a disgusting pig. We’ll see how it develops but it is not the most attractive palm in my yard at this stage. 

Hi Ben,

Any pictures of your hybrids? Thnx!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

First one is the Butia cross, second the Syagrus/Queen.  I guess the former isn't too bad?  I haven't been in this part of the garden in like a year.  They are both well over head height now which surprised me!

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

7 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

First one is the Butia cross, second the Syagrus/Queen.  I guess the former isn't too bad?  I haven't been in this part of the garden in like a year.  They are both well over head height now which surprised me!

I guess they don't get their size from the Lyto parent. Thanks for posting Ben!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

7 hours ago, Kai said:

I guess they don't get their size from the Lyto parent. Thanks for posting Ben!

Yeah, they are going up - but definitely thinner caliper in terms of trunk.  I am surprised that the Butia cross is faster than the Queen.

Ben Rogers

Ben,

these are two beauties. Will be interesting to see them growing. Did you grow them from seed? Do you know a source?

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Those should turn out dainty especially if the trunk forms to be thin.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

3 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Ben,

these are two beauties. Will be interesting to see them growing. Did you grow them from seed? Do you know a source?

Eckhard

These both came from Patric Schafer in a tree pot size, as I recall, 2 or 3 years ago.  You might check in with him.

Ben Rogers

Hi Ben,

the problem is our customs service. Any plant without certificates will be destroyed. I will never try again as I already had to pay for. Therefore my only opportunity is growing them from seeds or pay a lot of money and risk to receive a dead plant.

You're lucky. Keep us updated.

Eckhard

Good job Kai,

in the near future I will try to germinate seeds of this palm as well. Actually I try to get as much different Chamaedoreas as possible.

Also the cocoid hybrids are my favourites. Maybe next time your trials to cross your plant with a butia or syagrus will be successful.

Eckhard