IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

12 minutes ago, Kai said:

Thanks Pal! But I was hoping to get my palm some kind of LED light.

And now for comparison a detal of the 4th flower stalk (pollinated and probably fruiting) and a similar picture of the 5th (not yet receptive).

20170802_171048.thumb.jpg.cda9c2bfdb0e7a

Oh yes, I can see, they are looking like their father, very like a Butia :greenthumb::D

I guess halogen has the better light (full spectrum) than LED (monochrome) …

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 15/8/2017 13:21:38, Kai said:

Today I started pollinating inflo #5 with queen pollen. Fingers crossed!

I'm a wreck though! The pollen irritates my airways, my eyes feel swollen and I can't stop sneezing. Everything has it's price I guess...

Good luck Kai! :greenthumb:

Protect yourself with a mask and glasses!

08053.gif

2 hours ago, Kai said:

Maybe...we'll see what grows. Looking at this chart, I might even have more luck with cocos pollen! :blink:

The reverse seems to be possible like Butiagrus even over great distance. But why is Syagrus romanzoffiana an exception, very susceptible for hybrids?

For Cocos pollen you could ask @palmfriend whose Cocos on Miyako island is just blooming and not yet too tall.

I would love to try Cocos pollen on one of the following inflo's! There are still 2 spikes coming up. One of them I expect to open anytime, thus the female flowers becoming receptive in about 1 month. The next inflo is probably a month behind.

Would you care to help out on this project?

@palmfriend

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

13 hours ago, Kai said:

L x B. The rate fruits are falling is somewhat alarming. 27 on this morning...

Do you fertilizing this palm?

13 hours ago, Kai said:

6 hours ago, Kai said:

Edited by Kenarr09

8 hours ago, Kai said:

Yes it does get strongly diluted liquid fertilizer sometimes. But not much, the soil it is in is still relatively new.

Try something natural like compost tea or super weak solution from fermented chicken manure at least 10 days in water(this is  my favorite fertiliser always work) but should be really careful because is really strong has to be 1/50. I do for my palms and citruses 1/20 and they are all strong growing! 

Edited by Kenarr09

2 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

Try something natural like compost tea or super weak solution from fermented chicken manure at least 10 days in water(this is  my favorite fertiliser always work) but should be really careful because is really strong has to be 1/50. I do for my palms and citruses 1/20 and they are all strong

Thanks for the advice! But honestly I'm not going to change anything to the watering and feeding of this palm as it is in perfect healthy condition. Growing steadily with good sized dark colored fronds, there's no reason to change anything.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

10 minutes ago, Kai said:

Today L x B only 15 left! :badday:

I fear the worst...

Ouch!

I wonder if it would be possible to apply embryo rescue technique to palm seeds...

08053.gif

Bad news.

20170827_084526.thumb.jpg.eb5a0487fcfb83

The Lytocaryum x Butia project has failed. This picture was yesterday evening when only just a few seeds were hanging on. This morning all had fallen. Apparantly Lytocaryum is not susceptible to Butia pollen, though the other way around is possible seen the results of others...

Lets hope the queen pollen works its wonders now!

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Bad news.

20170827_084526.thumb.jpg.eb5a0487fcfb83

The Lytocaryum x Butia project has failed. This picture was yesterday evening when only just a few seeds were hanging on. This morning all had fallen. Apparantly Lytocaryum is not susceptible to Butia pollen, though the other way around is possible seen the results of others...

Sad to hear and see. Well, I wouldn't rush with that conclusion, it's the first time that you made it maybe other time you will have more success. it would be very useful know if Patric or other hybridazer have tried this cross.

08053.gif

3 hours ago, Kai said:

Bad news.

I think the Lyto∞Queen will be a great success! :greenthumb:

8 hours ago, Sanips said:

Sad to hear and see. Well, I wouldn't rush with that conclusion, it's the first time that you made it maybe other time you will have more success. it would be very useful know if Patric or other hybridazer have tried this cross.

I believe Patric made a Butia x Lytocaryum hoehnei cross. So the other way around and with a hoehnei which might just have a littlebit more Butia characteristics than a wedd.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, Kai said:

I believe Patric made a Butia x Lytocaryum hoehnei cross. So the other way around and with a hoehnei which might just have a littlebit more Butia characteristics than a wedd.

Surely pollinate  butia with syagrus weddellianum, Have more chance than seeds to form,of   hybrid  Inverse syagrus weddellianum x butia

GIUSEPPE

Flower stalk #6 has come out of its shell. As always after the female flowers of the previous inflo stopped being receptive. I'm starting to see a pattern here...I started the pollen-collecting procedure on inflo#6 immediately.

20170829_120557.thumb.jpg.b8956a6d66cca3

So now I'm somewhat reluctant on using the Jubaea pollen on this inflo as the Butia pollen has failed. I'd rather wait a while to see if the queen pollen works on inflo#5 (should be about a month to be sure) and repeat with the queen pollen I have left in my freezer. If the palms' timing doesn't allow this, I will just use its own pollen so I will have the guarantee of seeing those beautifull fruits forming again.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

On 29/08/2017, 11:16:04, Kai said:

Flower stalk #6 has come out of its shell. As always after the female flowers of the previous inflo stopped being receptive. I'm starting to see a pattern here...I started the pollen-collecting procedure on inflo#6 immediately.

20170829_120557.thumb.jpg.b8956a6d66cca3

So now I'm somewhat reluctant on using the Jubaea pollen on this inflo as the Butia pollen has failed. I'd rather wait a while to see if the queen pollen works on inflo#5 (should be about a month to be sure) and repeat with the queen pollen I have left in my freezer. If the palms' timing doesn't allow this, I will just use its own pollen so I will have the guarantee of seeing those beautifull fruits forming again.

Hi, Kaì any luck with the Jubaea pollen? 

7 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

Hi, Kaì any luck with the Jubaea pollen? 

I have not yet pollinated an inflo with the Jubaea pollen. I have to wait for the female flowers on inflo #6 to become receptive.

Butia pollen resulted in no seeds on Lytocaryum and now I'm anxiously awaiting the moment of truth on the seeds which were pollinated with queen pollen. I have allready seen a few of them falling off...

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

On 10/09/2017, 21:41:23, Kai said:

I have not yet pollinated an inflo with the Jubaea pollen. I have to wait for the female flowers on inflo #6 to become receptive.

Butia pollen resulted in no seeds on Lytocaryum and now I'm anxiously awaiting the moment of truth on the seeds which were pollinated with queen pollen. I have allready seen a few of them falling off...

Let's hope you will have better luck with Jubaea chilensis pollen! 

Edited by Kenarr09

• 2 weeks later...

So I think now it will be safe to say that the 17 remaining seeds on inflo#5 have a good chance of growing into little Lytoagrus seedlings. Time will have to tell of course but I'm quite confident about this inflo. 

20170920_192950.thumb.jpg.86adc651771c38

I have made up my mind and will try to pollinate inflo#6 with the remaining queen pollen. I stored it in the freezer so in theory it should be ok.

The female flowers will become receptive in about a week I think.

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Hello Kai,

congratulation for the great job. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as this will be an interesting hybrid. Keep us updated if the second trial is successful too.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Hello Kai,

if you pollinate with same species and have some seeds left I would be lucky to grow one or two of them. Maybe the pollen from Butia and Sygrus is not really compatible?

Have you ever heard about these crosses?

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri