IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

2 hours ago, Sanips said:

Good! very productive lil' palm.

If you want more pollen maybe you could ask for it in a spanish forum such as infojardin.com, there're very friendly palm buddies.

Good luck!

That's a good idea Sanips! Only I had just 3 months of Spanish lessons at school and that's about 20 years ago... But today we have google so I might just give it a try.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

20 minutes ago, Kai said:

That's a good idea Sanips! Only I had just 3 months of Spanish lessons at school and that's about 20 years ago... But today we have google so I might just give it a try.

Don't worry about the language, I could help you... Even though I'm sure your Spanish is better than my Dutch :floor:

08053.gif

Since I couldn’t see an emerging cotyledon even 40 days after germination I was very concerned :unsure: if my only one :wub:Lytocaryum batavum were viable. So I dug it out of the pot and …… :unsure: I gave a sigh of relieve: It was looking very healthy. ^_^ And the reason why the cotyledon didn’t become visible was this: Lytocaryum batavum is a REMOTE germinator! And so we have really a different species from L weddellianum :o which has according to Genera Palmarum (1987: 497) an “adjacent-ligular” germination. :innocent:

596b80fb3137f_N17012017-07-16IMG_9284.th

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

14 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Since I couldn’t see an emerging cotyledon even 40 days after germination I was very concerned :unsure: if my only one :wub:Lytocaryum batavum were viable. So I dug it out of the pot and …… :unsure: I gave a sigh of relieve: It was looking very healthy. ^_^ And the reason why the cotyledon didn’t become visible was this: Lytocaryum batavum is a REMOTE germinator! And so we have really a different species from L weddellianum :o which has according to Genera Palmarum (1987: 497) an “adjacent-ligular” germination. :innocent:

How is this possible?

I'm sure I didn't pollinate with some other species pollen!

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

42 minutes ago, Kai said:

How is this possible?

I'm sure I didn't pollinate with some other species pollen!

When you google under “lytocaryum batavum” you get an answer, but not to your question: B)

596b8ef260e9c_Lytobatavum.thumb.jpg.d0f0

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Kai said:

20170716_003640.thumb.jpg.aad3a2bce87b3b

Soft pencil with Butia pollen on it. This is very exciting!

Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Pretty rare! Did you germinate it under different conditions than previous seeds?

08053.gif

Fingers crossed indeed!

20170716_225220.thumb.jpg.1c966f030157a7

I repeat the brushing several times a day untill the flowers are no longer receptive. That way I know I have done everything within my power to make this work.

20170716_225404.thumb.jpg.a855f80a7c9d0b

And labeled of course! You must never forget the person who took the time and effort to make it all possible!

• Upvote 3

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, Sanips said:

Fingers crossed!

Pretty rare! Did you germinate it under different conditions than previous seeds?

As you can see on my post from 2017-06-04 in this thread I didn’t do anything special: Kokohum® and temps around 25°C. Even “normal” Lyto weddell (and L insigne or L hoehnei, too) are not real adjacent germinators but only “nearly adjacent”, because they all have a ±short seed petiole.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kai said:

Fingers crossed indeed!

I repeat the brushing several times a day untill the flowers are no longer receptive. That way I know I have done everything within my power to make this work.

And labeled of course! You must never forget the person who took the time and effort to make it all possible!

What will be the name? Lytocutia:D

6 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

What will be the name? Lytocutia:D

I have to think about this. I like this name but how does it work with hybrids? Does the name of the palm carrying the fruits come first and pollen donor second, or the other way around?

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

11 minutes ago, Kai said:

I have to think about this. I like this name but how does it work with hybrids? Does the name of the palm carrying the fruits come first and pollen donor second, or the other way around?

E.g. Butiagrus is Butia odorata (Female) x Syagrus romanzoffiana (Male).

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

It appears my seedlings from the 2nd inflorescense are behaving the same but I haven't noticed it before.

20170717_002149.thumb.jpg.bf4be06411131c

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

32 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Don't forget, I sent you pollen for the red fruited butia & the yellow fruited butia..

Yes I know. For this inflorescense I only used the yellow variant. The red I'm keeping for future inflorescense.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I’ve dissected one of the non-viable seeds with my chain saw: :crying: The embryo seems to be underdeveloped (and the interior cavity is extremely small):

596e1452183f3_N1700LytobatavumSeed2017-0

The cotyledon of my only one seedling is now emerging out of the depth of the Ø8xH9 cm pot:

596e14dd23468_N17012017-07-18P1030843.th

• Upvote 1

Great documentation Pal! I'll try to find pictures of the germinated seed which is now the motherplant. I wonder if it was a remote-tubular germinator as well... When I find something interesting in my archive I'll post it.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

20170719_110806.thumb.jpg.81fae5b798d5e1As you can see a lot of pollen sticks to the soft pencil. This method is much better to work with than the cotton sticks that I used previously. The cotton gets entangled with the little flowers and in no time the cotton stick looks more like '70's afro. I doubted at first if the pencil would hold the pollen but when I look closely I can see little dustclouds of pollen coming off it when I'm working the inflorescense. So I'm pretty sure that if there is no seedset, it won't be the method to blame.

20170719_110842.thumb.jpg.283d7198a3b699

Meanwhile, I'm getting a good feeling about this inflorescense. It starts off with 58 female flowers. If only half of them would develop, I'd be infinitly delighted!

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

3 hours ago, Kai said:

20170719_110806.thumb.jpg.81fae5b798d5e1As you can see a lot of pollen sticks to the soft pencil. This method is much better to work with than the cotton sticks that I used previously. The cotton gets entangled with the little flowers and in no time the cotton stick looks more like '70's afro. I doubted at first if the pencil would hold the pollen but when I look closely I can see little dustclouds of pollen coming off it when I'm working the inflorescense. So I'm pretty sure that if there is no seedset, it won't be the method to blame.

20170719_110842.thumb.jpg.283d7198a3b699

Meanwhile, I'm getting a good feeling about this inflorescense. It starts off with 58 female flowers. If only half of them would develop, I'd be infinitly delighted!

It very instructive how you improve your method. It seems a succesful pollination, you're a Lyto Whisperer :P

08053.gif

4 hours ago, Kai said:

It is exactly the same method I had used in the past successfully for pollinating e.g. my Chamaedorea metallica (and others). :greenthumb:

25 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

It is exactly the same method I had used in the past successfully for pollinating e.g. my Chamaedorea metallica (and others). :greenthumb:

I have used a cotton stick as well for a C. metallica. This got me 12 seedlings. I wonder if I had gotten more seeds with a brush. The C. metallica pollen is very sticky by the way.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

23 minutes ago, Kai said:

I have used a cotton stick as well for a C. metallica. This got me 12 seedlings. I wonder if I had gotten more seeds with a brush. The C. metallica pollen is very sticky by the way.

In the case of Rhapis laosensis it didn’t work; so I tried it by blowing the pollen into the flower simulating the wind.

23 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

And for comparison with a real Lytocaryum weddellianum (≠ batavum) a pic of the adjacent-ligular germination:

596e6a61e66ec_Lytoweddell2007-12-05IMG_0

PS: That seedling was hidden, (too) deep in the soil. :blush:

All I could find from the time I germinated the seed which grew into the motherplant are 2 foto's:

Germination.JPG.63538f1b22233b49df48308a

596fb542a997b_Lytocariumweddellianum.thu

It might be just an extraordinairy form of Lytocaryum weddellianum? Maybe the seeds came from a different region? I have no idea and no way of finding out.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

It is not so special. I had lots of seedlings with a (±nearly) remote (-tubular/ligular?) germination. As I wrote before even the cases of “adjacent-ligular” germination are not adjacent in the strict sense because there is always a well visible shorter or longer seed petiole.

596fd0f15b639_N13052013-06-17IMG_7219.th

• Upvote 1

It appears the flowers are no longer receptive and I feel I have done all I can to ensure the highest chance on a good seedset.

20170720_224209.thumb.jpg.5d5028bb3dd6a3

So now the waiting game can begin. Let's see if, and how many of these will grow into seeds!

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

And after further 3 days in water (i.e. after 50 days since 2017-06-03): N°1703 germinated. I had never such experience with fresh L weddell seeds; in most cases they sprouted even too early. Perhaps those later two seeds had too little water inside the endosperm? :unsure: Now there is only one seed left, still in water … :asleep:

59747aa846ce9_N17032017-07-23IMG_9303.th

Today is a warm and somewhat humid day with hardly any wind in Amsterdam. A perfect day to get the Lyto outside for some clouded sunlight. I think it can use all the light it can get when fruiting.

20170802_144418.thumb.jpg.93970cca4146cf

Trying to ensure as many seeds as possible. The seeds are expected to ripen off somewhere in our cold and dark winter and in those days it will be inside permanently. I'm currently on the lookout for a growing lamp to hang above it when the days shorten. Any suggestions?

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Today is a warm and somewhat humid day with hardly any wind in Amsterdam. A perfect day to get the Lyto outside for some clouded sunlight. I think it can use all the light it can get when fruiting.

20170802_144418.thumb.jpg.93970cca4146cf

Trying to ensure as many seeds as possible. The seeds are expected to ripen off somewhere in our cold and dark winter and in those days it will be inside permanently. I'm currently on the lookout for a growing lamp to hang above it when the days shorten. Any suggestions?

I would propose a halogen reading lamp, 50 W, but c. 3 m high: :P

5981e4e15316b_N13012017-08-02P1030921.th

• Upvote 1