Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up


Kai

Recommended Posts

After weekend away I found 6 out of 12 seeds had germinated. One of the seeds is a double germinator which is something I have not seen before with Lytocaryum seeds.

tmp_26253-20170508_1605201716459065.thum

Today the last (13th) seed came off the motherplant. And now I have to wait for the next batch to mature. I love it!

  • Upvote 3

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kai said:

After weekend away I found 6 out of 12 seeds had germinated. One of the seeds is a double germinator which is something I have not seen before with Lytocaryum seeds.

tmp_26253-20170508_1605201716459065.thum

Today the last (13th) seed came off the motherplant. And now I have to wait for the next batch to mature. I love it!

Oh, a real Double Coconut! I had hundreds of Weddell seedlings, but not even one double … :blink:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pal Meir said:

Oh, a real Double Coconut! I had hundreds of Weddell seedlings, but not even one double … :blink:

The same for me! One out of many many many. This natural double coconut will not be seperated in a later stadium.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow you've completed the circle way fast! Congrats for those germinations, it's clear seed freshness is a big factor.

P.D. 2 days ago I was visiting a spanish forum and I saw a thread about a flowering butia and that reminded me of you.

08053.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It won't be long untill the 4th flower spike will pop open. I have some Butia pollen (thanks again Laaz!) with which the female flowers will be pollinated. Let's hope it works!

tmp_6763-20170523_205532985855004.thumb.

Of course the seeds will be equally divided between me and the pollen donor.

  • Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Kai said:

It won't be long untill the 4th flower spike will pop open. I have some Butia pollen (thanks again Laaz!) with which the female flowers will be pollinated. Let's hope it works!

tmp_6763-20170523_205532985855004.thumb.

Of course the seeds will be equally divided between me and the pollen donor.

Can  I ask how does it work ? I mean pollination stuff. You are able to pollinate L.Weddellianum with completely different palm species ? Seems really interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Reynevan said:
10 minutes ago, Reynevan said:

Can  I ask how does it work ? I mean pollination stuff. You are able to pollinate L.Weddellianum with completely different palm species ? Seems really interesting.

It's hybridizing species that are related to eachother. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It probably depends on how closely the species are related. There are already many different hybrids between Syagrus and Butia. Given Lytocaryum is now officially a Syagrus I thought I might give it a try. Wish me luck!

  • Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck Kai! I'm pretty sure you'll some success.

08053.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All 13 germinated seeds from inflorescense #2 are now nicely potted up in small, not very deep pots as recommended by @Pal Meir

tmp_22388-20170604_12554731266973.thumb.

Thanks for the pots and everything Pal!

I labeled these plants "Kai's Lytocaryum" because I feel I am their "creator".

 

  • Upvote 4

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kai said:

All 13 germinated seeds from inflorescense #2 are now nicely potted up in small, not very deep pots as recommended by @Pal Meir

tmp_22388-20170604_12554731266973.thumb.

Thanks for the pots and everything Pal!

I labeled these plants "Kai's Lytocaryum" because I feel I am their "creator".

 

It is a new species, so we are to use an appropriate Latin binomen: Lytocaryum batavum sive Syagrus batava. And we have to propagate this new species here in Europe because it is the only European cocosoid palm. I have begun yesterday with this important task for the whole Palm world. :innocent:

5933f0acb1884_N17002017-06-03P1030683.th

5933f0bc7cda6_N17002017-06-03P1030699.th

5933f0c6e81ca_N17002017-06-03P1030694.th

5933f0cc4c294_N17002017-06-03P1030697.th

5933f0e359c4a_N17002017-06-03P1030698.th

  • Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

It is a new species, so we are to use an appropriate Latin binomen: Lytocaryum batavum sive Syagrus batava. And we have to propagate this new species here in Europe because it is the only European cocosoid palm. I have begun yesterday with this important task for the whole Palm world. :innocent:

5933f0acb1884_N17002017-06-03P1030683.th

5933f0bc7cda6_N17002017-06-03P1030699.th

5933f0c6e81ca_N17002017-06-03P1030694.th

5933f0cc4c294_N17002017-06-03P1030697.th

5933f0e359c4a_N17002017-06-03P1030698.th

Perfect! I will relabel them right away! To make sure that even if the botanical community doesn't agree with this new nomenclature, at least the labels will bring forth confusion for many years to come! :floor:

The seeds look very good! I expect them to germinate within days. Keep us informed.

  • Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4.6.2017, 14:56:28, Kai said:

Perfect! I will relabel them right away! To make sure that even if the botanical community doesn't agree with this new nomenclature, at least the labels will bring forth confusion for many years to come! :floor:

The seeds look very good! I expect them to germinate within days. Keep us informed.

Oops, what’s that? Only after three days: Happy Germination Day, N°1701! :wub:

5936f69e1c75d_N17012017-06-06IMG_9227.th

  • Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very good! I will tell mother that her 3rd inflorescense was a succes again and that she has little adoptees growing up in Germany. I'm sure this good news will motivate her to produce many more future inflorescenses.

  • Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kai,

if your "mother" is still sending up inflorescenses and you get ripe seeds it would be a pleasure for me to give them a new home in Germany too. 

I love growing plants from seed as you can watch their development right from the beginning. I do have a lot of Yucca seedlings grown from seed by my own.

Unfortunately our climate isn't good enough to grow palms outside.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Kai,

if your "mother" is still sending up inflorescenses and you get ripe seeds it would be a pleasure for me to give them a new home in Germany too. 

I love growing plants from seed as you can watch their development right from the beginning. I do have a lot of Yucca seedlings grown from seed by my own.

Unfortunately our climate isn't good enough to grow palms outside.

Eckhard

Hi Eckhard,

I sent you a pm.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is time now to give the new baby its own home. ^_^ So I prepared the soil mix (2/3 fine pine bark + 1/3 Seramis) and the pots (Ø8xH9 cm clay pots in 8x8xH9cm plastic pots):

593ab8e0a970c_SoilMix2017-06-04P1030702.

593ab8e6e8081_SoilMix2017-06-04P1030703.

The pine bark from Bellandris is much worse :rant: than the former “Grabdekor” pine bark from Florasan. 

593ab8eaee229_ClayPots2017-06-04P1030700

593ab8f23b245_ClayPots2017-06-05P1030704

And here is the baby N°1701 :wub: (the other four seeds are still sleeping :asleep:) and its new home: :greenthumb:

593ab8f559174_N17012017-06-09IMG_9229.th

593ab8fae9adf_N17012017-06-09IMG_9230.th

  • Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

It is time now to give the new baby its own home. ^_^ So I prepared the soil mix (2/3 fine pine bark + 1/3 Seramis) and the pots (Ø8xH9 cm clay pots in 8x8xH9cm plastic pots):

593ab8e0a970c_SoilMix2017-06-04P1030702.

593ab8e6e8081_SoilMix2017-06-04P1030703.

The pine bark from Bellandris is much worse :rant: than the former “Grabdekor” pine bark from Florasan. 

593ab8eaee229_ClayPots2017-06-04P1030700

593ab8f23b245_ClayPots2017-06-05P1030704

And here is the baby N°1701 :wub: (the other four seeds are still sleeping :asleep:) and its new home: :greenthumb:

593ab8f559174_N17012017-06-09IMG_9229.th

593ab8fae9adf_N17012017-06-09IMG_9230.th

That seems like very good home to start off with! I'm surprised that the other 4 are still sleeping. It's possible that the seeds are a bit less well developed. Inflorescense #3 got a little bend at the base of the bract. Maybe this resulted in less nutrients flowing through to the developing seeds. It also could explain just 9 seeds hanging on instead of the magnificent 13 on inflorescense #2. I will have to be more carefull in the future while pollinating to not damage the palms' precious cargo!

I have 2 seeds from infl #3 still asleep in my propagator and 2 underdeveloped seeds still hanging on the palm. We'll see what happens...

  • Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I was scrolling through this thread to find out how long it takes before the female flowers become receptive...

The 2nd infloresence opened on October 23rd 2016. The female flowers became receptive on November 26th 2016. I don't recall it being longer than a month, but it seems I can keep the pollen in the freezer for some time.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/6/2017 23:55:27, Kai said:

Removing the male flowers...

20170617_235342.thumb.jpg.62e011c013b737

That process might be called 'eye fatigue' :floor:

08053.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just yesterday I discovered the next flower spike. If I'm not losing count, this should be #7.

20170621_084710.thumb.jpg.a7131f82897aea

In the back you can see the emasculated stalk #4, the large one in the front is #5, the one on the left is #6 and on the right between the petioles a tiny tip of #7 is visible.B)

  • Upvote 3

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kai said:

Just yesterday I discovered the next flower spike. If I'm not losing count, this should be #7.

20170621_084710.thumb.jpg.a7131f82897aea

In the back you can see the emasculated stalk #4, the large one in the front is #5, the one on the left is #6 and on the right between the petioles a tiny tip of #7 is visible.B)

Wonder how many flower spikes she's able to produce during the season :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bahhh! Kai and Pal Meir...I learn so much from your posts! :wub: Never go anywhere!! :greenthumb:

  • Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Missi said:

Bahhh! Kai and Pal Meir...I learn so much from your posts! :wub: Never go anywhere!! :greenthumb:

Thank you Missy!

I'm still learning myself as the learning process never ends. It would be an illusion to think otherwise. But I have a great teacher @Pal Meirwho DOES know everything!:P

  • Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I noticed that the offspring of flowerstalk #2 is sending up their first spikes.

20170701_100531.thumb.jpg.07567b698ea88d

And the double germinator:

20170701_100557.thumb.jpg.c5986c36393400

So now I only have to wait 11 years for these little guys to become parents themselves. But time flies when you're having fun...

  • Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck with your twin for the coming 11 years! :greenthumb: My L batavum is still growing only downwards, and the other 4 seeds seem to be not viable. But that doesn’t matter because the space on my window sills is extremely limited.

595783153ecb2_N17012017-07-01P1030797.th

  • Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Good luck with your twin for the coming 11 years! :greenthumb: My L batavum is still growing only downwards, and the other 4 seeds seem to be not viable. But that doesn’t matter because the space on my window sills is extremely limited.

595783153ecb2_N17012017-07-01P1030797.th

Yes as I feared the 3rd infloresence wasn't as succesfull as the 2nd. Lessons learned. If you would like some seedlings from the 2nd infloresence if you can manage to create a spot, then the free space in my overcrowded palmforest would be very welcome.

  • Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! So, aren't you going to remove the 5th inflorescence?

08053.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sanips said:

Nice! So, aren't you going to remove the 5th inflorescence?

No I want to use all inflorescences and have them produce seeds.

#4 will be pollinated with Butia pollen. At least I'll try.

#5 maybe just regular Lyto pollen because I don't have any other pollen to experiment with. I placed a bag around it to collect the pollen.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Kai said:

No I want to use all inflorescences and have them produce seeds.

#4 will be pollinated with Butia pollen. At least I'll try.

#5 maybe just regular Lyto pollen because I don't have any other pollen to experiment with. I placed a bag around it to collect the pollen.

Good! very productive lil' palm.

If you want more pollen maybe you could ask for it in a spanish forum such as infojardin.com, there're very friendly palm buddies.

Good luck!

08053.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...