IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First real cold of the season!

NorCalKing

On January 1, 2016 at 12:57:51 PM, NorCalKing said:

It's nice when they get it wrong on the + side lol

It is lol. I hope they get it wrong again tonight.

On January 2, 2016 at 3:52:03 AM, enigma99 said:

Clouds are nice. Tomorrow I am going to do some Spring cleaning as things are starting to return to normal for the long term. Lows in the 40s not 30s :)

NYC is going to be 17F in a couple days (as it should be). Orlando has low/mid 40s coming during the week of the 10th. Best of all, we're going to get lots of rain. El Nino might be here finally

28/29F is where it should be, 17F is pretty harsh, but luckily this cold isn't here to stay. 

Well we are finally back into the low 60's and things are feeling a lot more (Norcal) winter like lol. Let's hope it stays, I've had enough cold for this winter:badday:

3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

10-day looks very wet.  Hopefully El Nino has finally arrived.

Sure does. Hopefully it's accurate. I was surprised it turned sunny and nice today...was expecting a damp day. 

Just now, NorCalKing said:

Sure does. Hopefully it's accurate. I was surprised it turned sunny and nice today...was expecting a damp day. 

Yep, dry here too.  More coming in overnight it looks like.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 hours ago, cm05 said:

28/29F is where it should be, 17F is pretty harsh, but luckily this cold isn't here to stay. 

NYC is zone 7b right? Here in California we were meeting our yearly minimums on multiple occasions so that's what I meant. I'm just glad Spring is here :)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

NYC is zone 7b right? Here in California we were meeting our yearly minimums on multiple occasions so that's what I meant. I'm just glad Spring is here :)

Yeah, this is the fun part of the year.  Our winter should hopefully be over, and now we get to watch the rest of you get nailed. :D

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

32 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah, this is the fun part of the year.  Our winter should hopefully be over, and now we get to watch the rest of you get nailed. :D

My 10 day report looks real good. Lots of rain and it wont get that cold. I hope this is the new trend

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

46 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

My 10 day report looks real good. Lots of rain and it wont get that cold. I hope this is the new trend

for sure! I hope the worst is behind us,

I went below 32 (5-7) times at the vista garden with no frost so far this year. All short duration :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

for sure! I hope the worst is behind us,

I went below 32 (5-7) times at the vista garden with no frost so far this year. All short duration :greenthumb:

did you just reply to your own post? :bemused: haha

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Yes, I should've figured that. The western states typically get their lowest temperatures of the winter before we do, so you guys are likely out of the woods but we're just now entering them.

Still, this cold is quite shocking, it hasn't been this cold in quite some time. It went from a 10a to an 8b within a couple of hours lol. Can't wait til Spring.

6 minutes ago, cm05 said:

Yes, I should've figured that. The western states typically get their lowest temperatures of the winter before we do, so you guys are likely out of the woods but we're just now entering them.

Still, this cold is quite shocking, it hasn't been this cold in quite some time. It went from a 10a to an 8b within a couple of hours lol. Can't wait til Spring.

Yeah, it's been crazy. I went 710 straight days above 30F until Thanksgiving... then got hit again and again with chilly low 30s in December. Ultimate low of 29 this winter so i'm officially zone 9b again :D Although my hibiscus and other things are still green, they look tired and just want some warm weather. But I'm thinking it's going to be rainy and cool for the next 2-3 months... which is OK because our drought is really a bad one

Edited by enigma99

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we might have some 30s again around the 31st. We will see.. It is a long time away and lot could change

3 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Looks like we might have some 30s again around the 31st. We will see.. It is a long time away and lot could change

I'm not seeing that far out yet on WU, but I can't imagine us hitting too many <30 days as we head into Feb.

8 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

I'm not seeing that far out yet on WU, but I can't imagine us hitting too many <30 days as we head into Feb.

Don't tempt fate!  But, yes, I hope we're done with cold.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

According to my definition of spring...only 36 more days!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Crazy reading about folks in OC having 30s, I havent seen anything below 41 since our last cold snap back in Dec.

Was hiking in a t shirt and dreaming of Howeas in a Douglas fir forest today...

On January 23, 2016 at 8:43:01 PM, knell said:

Crazy reading about folks in OC having 30s, I havent seen anything below 41 since our last cold snap back in Dec.

Was hiking in a t shirt and dreaming of Howeas in a Douglas fir forest today...

I don't believe I have seen anything below 40 in a long time. Last night was 42 and felt pretty chilly... I'm ready for a warm up. 

On January 17, 2016 at 3:56:22 PM, Ben in Norcal said:
4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

I don't believe I have seen anything below 40 in a long time. Last night was 42 and felt pretty chilly... I'm ready for a warm up. 

Yep, ever since our early cold spell things have been 40+ (overnight) for weeks. And I'm finally seeing upper 60's (68) in the 7 day forecast. May be time to get some planting done.

Edited by NorCalKing
Hmm, for some reason it quoted Ben. Weird.

Well, got a single night in the 30s for the next 2-3 weeks on Sunday evening. And it's a cold one. I'm going to be in the mid 30s with a north wind that night.. Brrr. No threat to anything but I will cover my bottles

after that, it will warm up and no more rain for a while! I noticed my palms do NOT like wet rain in the 55-65f range. I will take dry conditions with cool clear nights and warm afternoons any day of the week

Edited by enigma99

We’re getting some warm rain up here, about 3” inches in the next 48 hrs, low tonight will be low 50’s for a few nights and then next week a cold front with lows around mid 30’s 

Today was 67F, not bad, tomorrow will be a little warmer closer to 70. Looks like next 70s will be a few days away though. Tomorrow I will be stocking up on palms :) 

Roger, what are you growing up in Olympia?

Edited by enigma99

16 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Today was 67F, not bad, tomorrow will be a little warmer closer to 70. Looks like next 70s will be a few days away though. Tomorrow I will be stocking up on palms :) 

Roger, what are you growing up in Olympia?

I grow pretty much what N.Cali try to grow…lots of Trachycarpus, Butia several types, Jubaea hybrids, Chamaedoreas, Brahea, and Chamerops.  

Lots of exotic plants that are not palms. The winter blooming shrubs are just starting to bloom and are very fragrant right now. We have yet to break 60F this month, LOL! But its still mild compared to the normal high and lows. 

Edited by Palm crazy

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

I grow pretty much what N.Cali try to grow…lots of Trachycarpus, Butia several types, Jubaea hybrids, Chamaedoreas, Brahea, and Chamerops.  

Lots of exotic plants that are not palms. The winter blooming shrubs are just starting to bloom and are very fragrant right now. We have yet to break 60F this month, LOL! But its still mild compared to the normal high and lows. 

nice. where do you get your palms? are there places to buy there or do you drive down to California?

All the big box stores carry trachy’s, brahea armata, butia, livinstona chamerops, only the silver chamerops are sold at fancy nurseries here, they come in all sizes. Then there’s a few palm nursery’s around the Seattle area that only sell palms and a few exotic.  Got all my hybrids Jubaea and hybrid Butia came from Patrick and BxQ came from FL.

Dypsis and Engleri  palms came from CA by mail order.  Haven’t been to Cali in a long time, I’m over due for a visit. 

Edited by Palm crazy

3 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Hmm I thought you guys would be too damp to grow agave's and some borderline palms, like King etc? Unless you are referring to Nor Cal near the border of Oregon?

25 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Hmm I thought you guys would be too damp to grow agave's and some borderline palms, like King etc? Unless you are referring to Nor Cal near the border of Oregon?

No king palms here?

The tender palms are mostly for container plantings, unless you have a greenhouse over them in winter.  The other tender palms I mention above are not long term hardy palms for me. They last about 10 years. 

Agaves have to be in full sun and somewhat rain protected. There not very rain hardy in Olympia, so I grow most in containers.  In Seattle  which is much dryer and warmer in winter than me, they grow to blooming size. Seattle rain total 35”- 40”… Olympia 55”. 

Edited by Palm crazy

4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

No king palms here?

The tender palms are mostly for container plantings, unless you have a greenhouse over them in winter.  The other tender palms I mention above are not long term hardy palms for me. They last about 10 years. 

Agaves have to be in full sun and somewhat rain protected. There not very rain hardy in Olympia, so I grow most in containers.  In Seattle  which is much dryer and warmer in winter than me, they grow to blooming size. Seattle rain total 35”- 40”… Olympia 55”. 

OK, makes sense. I've only driven through the Pacific Northwest and I'm really not that familiar with the climate, but I've always heard it's  much wetter than Northern California.

Yeah, we get agave americana down here that are 6' tall and abut 15' wide. They are crazy when they bloom.

Edited by NorCalKing

7 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Speaking of Kings, I have Spring fever with all the 70s coming soon! haha.. So I went shopping today. Check out this haul. Lowe's had 4 of them, I ended up getting 3. I'm still thinking I should have got them all

IMG_0070.jpg

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

Holy!! They look perfect. Sweet, I need to hit a garden center soon lol

Where did you pick them up?

15 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Holy!! They look perfect. Sweet, I need to hit a garden center soon lol

Where did you pick them up?

North Roseville Store off of Hwy 65. There is still one left:)

14 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

OK, makes sense. I've only driven through the Pacific Northwest and I'm really not that familiar with the climate, but I've always heard it's  much wetter than Northern California.

Yeah, we get agave americana down here that are 6' tall and abut 15' wide. They are crazy when they bloom.

Yes, the PNW is way more wetter than Northen Cali. But it depends on where you live. In western WA the rain total amount ranges from as little as 15” in Sequim, WA to the northern coast which has over 100” of rain. And then theres the dry hot Eastern side of the state with only 6” of rain per year. The climate here varies a lot from one region to the next. 

Awesome living here, can be in the rain forest one day and the next day high desert area, LOL! 

Here are some cacti that are growing in Yakima WA.  Last year in early June 2015 they got up to 113F.   But don’t let these photos fool you it can and does get really cold in winter in Eastern WA.  Notice how little the agaves are in this garden, not like the more tender big ones in Cali. http://www.oxford.bcss.org.uk/collections/ron%20mckitrick/ron%20mckitrick.htm

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Too cool. Great collection. I would've never guess that collection would have been in the PNW